• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It's almost like the opposite of the way things used to be.  Everyone is a reliever till they prove otherwise.  

Yes in that we are preparing pitching prospects for any role, and no in that "reliever" has taken on an entirely new meaning and degree of importance.

I think we are preparing a lot of three inning pitchers. The only ones to go through the order more than once with any consistency are the starters with too much upside to only go three innings.

Which is basically what you just said, which means I talked myself into agreement. Man that was wild!

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

This prospect website has 4 Angels ranked in their top 100

https://prospects365.com/2019/10/21/ray-butlers-2019-end-of-season-top-200-prospects/

2.) Jo Adell

68.) Jordyn Adams 

69.) Brandon Marsh

99.) Jahmai Jones

of their 200 I see:

2. Adell

68. Adams

69. Marsh

98. Jackson

140. Wilson

154. Deveaux

196. Knowles.  

solid system.  makes sense that the avg would be about 7 prospects in the top 200.  

I think this year we'll see why they thought to put Adams ahead of Marsh.  I personally don't think he should be, but word will get out pretty quickly.  I probably have Marsh in the 45-60 range.  Especially after his AFL performance.  

Jones probably still deserves to be in the top 200 and so does Soriano.  Kyren Paris could make a jump in 2020 but most likely it will be in 2021.  

If Chris Rodriguez can suddenly get healthy, he'll cruise into the top 100 easy and probably the top 50.  

I think Marsh is ranked right where most of us believe him to be. i am surprised that Adams is over marsh, but i kind of see it and i don't, the upside defiently shows he could be higher than Marsh, But Marsh has had the better numbers. I do believe that Adam's is a top 100 prospect, but in the 90-100 range. Similarly nice to see Jackson get recognition, and i actually agreed on his ranking. Jackson will probably be left out of most lists.     

Having 3 guys in the top 100 or close to it, is not bad at all. I do think there a few guys in the system that could also be in top 100, bu midseason next year.

1. Crod: everyone know about the stuff, its matter of health. If he's healthy and show his stuff and upside, he could be a top 100 prospect and a top 10 RHP.

2. Jackson, if left out.

3.Paris; one of the youngest player with crazy good tools and upside

4. Soriano: high upside starter, but still a risk. If he can perform similar to 2019 at A+ and lower's his walk, he's a top 100 prospect.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:46 PM, totdprods said:

Maybe the hired hands are good enough to right the ship, but there's still pressure to win now come July...then perhaps it's easier to look into dealing Marsh.

I'm going to say this, please don't take offense. If you have actually seen Marsh play recently, in person, not on MiLB, then you are rejecting any trade offers. 

The guy I saw playing center field in San Berdo a year ago was a tradable asset. 

This guy isn't. This is a keeper. 

The thing about Adams is that he's just beginning to tap into that potential of his and has progressed a ridiculous amount in just one year.

Marsh was a good WR, but Adams was better, much better.  Marsh is fast, but Adams is faster. Marsh is strong, and Adams is well on his way to match him there as well. Marsh has begun to drive the ball more, but putting a charge into one has come to Adams quicker than it did Marsh. Adams covers more ground in the outfield, but even at this level of his development, he hasn't matched Marsh's arm. Marsh has shown fantastic plate discipline, and late in the season, Adams was showing it too. 

Right now, Marsh is the better prospect. Unquestionably. But Adams developmental path appears to be matching Marsh's and he has a level of upside and athleticism that even Marsh can't touch.

I'd personally tank Marsh right around 40, but Adams would probably be around 80 with the simple caveat that Marsh,'s floor is higher and Adams ceiling is higher.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I'm going to say this, please don't take offense. If you have actually seen Marsh play recently, in person, not on MiLB, then you are rejecting any trade offers. 

The guy I saw playing center field in San Berdo a year ago was a tradable asset. 

This guy isn't. This is a keeper. 

And you're not the first person that I've heard that from. I'm taking it as truth, and I can't wait to see it myself.

Adams is a better athlete but it doesn't mean he'll be a better baseball player. Looking at tools, the only area that Adams seems clearly superior is speed. They seem to have similar fielding and power upside, but Marsh is better in average, and discipline.

Fangraphs scout card seem to align pretty well with my armchair assessment:

Marsh: 

Hit GamePower RawPower Speed Field Throws Future Value
35 / 55 40 / 50 55 / 60 60 / 55 40 / 50 60 / 60 50

Adams:

20 / 50 20 / 50 50 / 60 80 / 80 45 / 60 45 / 50

45+

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Adams is a better athlete but it doesn't mean he'll be a better baseball player. Looking at tools, the only area that Adams seems clearly superior is speed. They seem to have similar fielding and power upside, but Marsh is better in average, and discipline.

Fangraphs scout card seem to align pretty well with my armchair assessment:

Marsh: 

35 / 55 40 / 50 55 / 60 60 / 55 40 / 50 60 / 60 50

Adams:

20 / 50 20 / 50 50 / 60 80 / 80 45 / 60 45 / 50

45+

Adams is a blank canvas right now.  It's so hard to know how he'll progress.  I'm back to the Mike Cameron comps again.  

I think his PD is quite comparable to Marsh at this point considering that he's still pretty raw.  To me, the big difference in the hit tool.  That swing above is a thing of beauty.  If he can have that power by letting the ball get a skootch deeper, he'll be a perennial all star.  

Right now, I don't think Adams is nearly the hitter and doesn't seem to project at that level.  But that could change in a flash.  I know this will trigger some folks but I see a little Melvin 'don't call me BJ' Upton in there.  BTW, just for people who don't want to take the time to look it up, BJ had a six year span of 22.7 fWAR with the rays or a shade under averaging 4 WAR for six seasons.  

41 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Any news on Maitan? Is he still a prospect, or is the early hope kind of gone?

both.  the initial hype was gone almost immediately when it was obvious he was way more raw than originally thought.  His body also changed which sealed that or strongly enhanced it.  He was completely out of shape for a couple years and by that time, he fell off the radar as far as a prospect.  All the while, he's been super young for his level and working toward getting in much better shape for what he is.  He's listed at 6'2 190, but I bet he's closer to 6'3 and 220-230 but not soft like he was a couple years ago.  

He worked strictly at 2b/3b in 2019 and looked like a capable 3b with typical mistakes that a young guy makes.  The stat line at the plate wasn't pretty, but behind those numbers was a completely revamped swing that looked much more compact and very powerful in the 2nd half.  

Where he's at now, it seems to me anyway, is a place where he can finally just go out next year and play and worry less about figuring out his position, his swing, or how his body would work for him.  He's still a prospect but not really on a national level.  He's now a guy where it wouldn't surprise if he had a great year and moved up the list quite a bit or just continued to struggle.  

Personally, I would like to see him start back and A ball where he finished last year.  He's still young for his level.