• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

I think this past minor league season felt a bit underwhelming for many, both Angels fans and in prospect circles..... Then the AFL started up and pretty much everyone they sent has performed welll.... now it seems like the tenor has shifted.   It's nice to see, even nicer to see the players made everyone take notice of them.

Has anyone in the minors done more to raise his prospect status (in AFL), than Brandon Marsh?   It used to be Adell, Adell, Adell...  Now it's Adell is great, but have you seen Marsh!?

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Essentially, Adell is Marcia. And Marsh is Jan... saying marsha marsha marsha

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

and Baldoquin is Oliver.  

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Baldoquin is Corky

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Trout is Johnny Bravo

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Dumbpoto is Plankton.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Scioscia would have been Sam the Butcher. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

And if Sosh is Sam the Butcher then Brian Ilten was Alice because Sosh obviously fucked Brian with how much that dude hated Sosh.  

I read all of those in order really fast and it reminded me of the scene in Full Metal Jacket where the news crew is walking down the line of soldiers and they are yelling out who's who. 

42 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's cool that Hernandez can last that many innings, but with his delivery, velocity and offered pitches, relief seems a very likely outcome for him. Sitting in the mid-90's as a starter, but if he moves to relief, I bet we'd see 97 and 98 flash on the scoreboard frequently.

Yup - when I see him, I see a future multi-inning RP-type. 

I'm real curious to see if the Angels deploy the tandem SP thing in the minors again next year, or if it was just purely a result from the depth that accumulated in Burlington, IE, and a bit at Mobile. The results last year were pretty great. 

Keep having all of these guys to throw 4-5 innings, either starting a game or coming in as relief for another. Eventually, they'll grow into a role from that experience, either as a true SP, a reliever comfortable being used as an opener, a 6th SP shuttling between AAA/MLB, a SP comfortable coming in from the pen, a starter comfortable following an opener, or a multi-inning RP. The guys who don't cut it for multi-inning roles eventually have their performances distilled down to a traditional one-inning reliever role, and if they've got the stuff for it, they'll carve out a high-lev RP career path. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Yup - when I see him, I see a future multi-inning RP-type. 

I'm real curious to see if the Angels deploy the tandem SP thing in the minors again next year, or if it was just purely a result from the depth that accumulated in Burlington, IE, and a bit at Mobile. The results last year were pretty great. 

Keep having all of these guys to throw 4-5 innings, either starting a game or coming in as relief for another. Eventually, they'll grow into a role from that experience, either as a true SP, a reliever comfortable being used as an opener, a 6th SP shuttling between AAA/MLB, a SP comfortable coming in from the pen, a starter comfortable following an opener, or a multi-inning RP. The guys who don't cut it for multi-inning roles eventually have their performances distilled down to a traditional one-inning reliever role, and if they've got the stuff for it, they'll carve out a high-lev RP career path. 

I remember asking about this last year or the year before and was told there's no set order or role in which they pitch. They keep things open and flexible for when guys are and aren't feeling as rested, and for guys that can work within a defined role or need a change.

But that's the direction the major leagues are headed and that's what many organizations are already doing in their minor league systems. So I would not expect it to change.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I remember asking about this last year or the year before and was told there's no set order or role in which they pitch. They keep things open and flexible for when guys are and aren't feeling as rested, and for guys that can work within a defined role or need a change.

But that's the direction the major leagues are headed and that's what many organizations are already doing in their minor league systems. So I would not expect it to change.

Personally, I'm a little intrigued and even excited thinking about how a 2020-2022 pitching staff built that way could perform...

At the top, you have true, established MLB SPs, like Cole, Heaney...and at the back-end, you've got traditional relievers, just not as many. Instead of the 5-6 that used to form a bullpen, maybe it's more like 3-4 guys...Bedrosian/Robles, Middleton, Buttrey, Anderson. 

And then everything in between is a bit of a blur - you'll have guys like Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Barria, Peters, Soriano, Yan, Bradish, all shading closer to the true SP side, ideally, a few of them ascending to that role. But you'll also have guys like Beasley, Hernandez, Madero, Ortega, Pina, Criswell, Warren, Castillo, who maybe aren't quite good enough for an MLB rotation spot, but could be expected to run through an entire line-up once effectively. This big pool of arms rounds out both the bullpen and the rotation. Either they flame out as minor-league depth or establish themselves as effective relievers, maybe gradually playing up to either a SP role or if there stuff improves in limited use, a dynamic high-lev reliever, sort of like what happened with Anderson.

33 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Personally, I'm a little intrigued and even excited thinking about how a 2020-2022 pitching staff built that way could perform...

At the top, you have true, established MLB SPs, like Cole, Heaney...and at the back-end, you've got traditional relievers, just not as many. Instead of the 5-6 that used to form a bullpen, maybe it's more like 3-4 guys...Bedrosian/Robles, Middleton, Buttrey, Anderson. 

And then everything in between is a bit of a blur - you'll have guys like Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Barria, Peters, Soriano, Yan, Bradish, all shading closer to the true SP side, ideally, a few of them ascending to that role. But you'll also have guys like Beasley, Hernandez, Madero, Ortega, Pina, Criswell, Warren, Castillo, who maybe aren't quite good enough for an MLB rotation spot, but could be expected to run through an entire line-up once effectively. This big pool of arms rounds out both the bullpen and the rotation. Either they flame out as minor-league depth or establish themselves as effective relievers, maybe gradually playing up to either a SP role or if there stuff improves in limited use, a dynamic high-lev reliever, sort of like what happened with Anderson.

The way the Yankees and Astros attacked the playoffs speaks to the value of this trend, and Eppler was asking the first (after the Dodgers and Ray's) to adopt this approach to team building. Eppler has invested in it long term. Hernandez, Wentz and Ortega immediately come to mind. And that's likely the outcome of Suarez at some point.

Edited by Second Base