Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2019 at 3:48 AM, SoWhat said:

Nice to see Marsh’s OPS at AA finally crack the .800 mark (.807) 

I'm not saying this is applies to you but, I don't think people fully appreciate how difficult a hitting environment the Southern League is.   

The league average batting line is only a .681 OPS, and there are all of 9 hitters in the entire league with an OPS above 800.  Of those 9, only three are 23 or under; Marsh who is 21 and Braves' farmhands Drew Waters (now at AAA) their #3 ranked prospect, and Christian Pache who is 20 and considered the #1 prospect in the Braves organization.    

Both Waters and Pache are top 100 guys.    Pache ranks 14th overall, Waters 29th overall.  

These are their BB and K totals while at AA, btw.

Waters - 28 BB/121 Ks - 420 ABs
Pache - 34 BB/104 Ks - 392 ABs
Marsh - 45 BB/83 Ks - 322 ABs

Marsh may be the Angels prospects Angels fans are most underrating.  Everyone wants to see the power but that plate discipline being where it is bodes well for his future.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Brandon Marsh is tricky to evaluate. If there's any disappointment around him it is that after his stellar performance in Orem in 2017 and Burlington 2018, his numbers haven't been as good in Inland Empire last year and Mobile this year, at least earlier on. But obviously he's adjusting just fine and is a very good prospect. I still see him as our #2. If the power doesn't develop he's still going to be a solid 3 WAR regular in the majors; if the power develops he'll be a bordeline star, 4-5 WAR. IMO.

Fangraphs has him #85 and 50 FV, which is very solid. I suspect next year he'll move up to 55 FV and top 50. Maybe not to start the year, but as he plays a couple months in Salt Lake he'll earn the jump. Hopefully we'll see him in Anaheim by September 2020 at the latest.

Here's an optimistic projection for Marsh: Jim Edmonds. Edmonds showed mediocre power in the minors and only hit 5 HR in his first 112 major league games. Then he hit 33 HR in his first full season (1995), and of course was a monster for the Cardinals in his 30s.

I think the chances of Marsh being as good as Edmonds, who is a borderline Hall of Famer, are pretty slim, but there are some similarities.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Brandon Marsh is tricky to evaluate. If there's any disappointment around him it is that after his stellar performance in Orem in 2017 and Burlington 2018, his numbers haven't been as good in Inland Empire last year and Mobile this year, at least earlier on.

Not to belabor a point here but -- Orem and Burlington were the closest he's ever been to being at the league average age for the level he was at, stands to reason he did as well as he did..  Dude was 1.8 years younger than the league average at Orem, 1.4 years younger at Burlington.   He was 2.3 years younger than the level in High A, and 2.6 years younger at AA.   

All I want to see from him now is an injury free season next year -- I think the rest takes care of itself.

Edited by Inside Pitch

i've said it before, but a lot of folks are underrating marsh this year. Inside Pitch did a great job in pointing out how he's one of the better hitter under the age 23.  Andrew Benintendi is another interesting comparison to Marsh. 

Marsh's wRC+ for this year is 138.  Which is park and league adjusted and puts him 6th in the league and 38% above league average.  

some of that is inflated by his .380 babip and he's also got a very high GB rate of 54.2% (2nd in the league).  

His ability as a pure hitter has really progressed this year as his walk rate has stayed the same and k rate has gone down.  If he can start elevating the ball, he's gonna be super dangerous.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

also thinking that max kepler could be a good comp for Marsh.  

How about Garret Anderson...developed power late after he made it to the bigs

Final 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E  
W: Schultz, Paxton (1-2, 3.21)
L: Randel, Ryan (0-1, 5.14)
Recaps: Vibes | Owlz(Colorado Springs, CO) - The Rocky Mountain Vibes (26-33) scored the final 13 runs of the game as the Owlz (24-36) lost the series opener with the Vibes, 13-2 on Wendesday night at UCHealth Park.

t519.png
(24-36)
0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 7 2  

t551.png
(26-33)
0 3 3 5 0 0 1 1 X 13 14 0  

Anthony Mulrine gave the Owlz the lead first on Wednesday night, smashing a two-run homer in the second inning, his second of the season, giving the Owlz a 2-0 lead.

The lead didn't last long as the Vibes came back and scored three runs in the bottom of the second inning on a two-run homer off the bat of Cam Devanney and a solo homer from Jose Sibrian. The Vibes added to it in the third with their second three-run inning. Devanney drove in a pair with a double and then Nick Kahle drove in a run with a single, pushing the lead to 6-2. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not saying this is applies to you but, I don't think people fully appreciate how difficult a hitting environment the Southern League is.   

The league average batting line is only a .681 OPS, and there are all of 9 hitters in the entire league with an OPS above 800.  Of those 9, only three are 23 or under; Marsh who is 21 and Braves' farmhands Drew Waters (now at AAA) and their #3 ranked prospect, and Christian Pache who is 20 and considered the #1 prospect in the Braves organization.    

Both Waters and Pache are top 100 guys.    Pache ranks 14th overall, Waters 29th overall.  

These are their BB and K totals while at AA, btw.

Waters - 28 BB/121 Ks - 420 ABs
Pache - 34 BB/104 Ks - 392 ABs
Marsh - 45 BB/83 Ks - 322 ABs

Marsh may be the Angels prospects Angels fans are most underrating.  Everyone wants to see the power but that plate discipline being where it is bodes well for his future.  

Im not as up on this stuff as you, Doc, tot, etc. But Marsh is more "interesting" to me than Adell almost. Meaning, Adell is looking cant miss, whereas Marsh (fingers crossed) is maybe going to be a super solid sleeper than no one knows yet.

Figure back to the pre jeets marlins. Adell is our stanton... hoping marsh is our (florida) yelich, or osuna.

Edit because someone will throw out numbers and argue that. So trout is our stanton, hopefully adell is our yellich and marsh our osuna.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im not as up on this stuff as you, Doc, tot, etc. But Marsh is more "interesting" to me than Adell almost. Meaning, Adell is looking cant miss, whereas Marsh (fingers crossed) is maybe going to be a super solid sleeper than no one knows yet.

Figure back to the pre jeets marlins. Adell is our stanton... hoping marsh is our (florida) yelich, or osuna.

Edit because someone will throw out numbers and argue that. So trout is our stanton, hopefully adell is our yellich and marsh our osuna.

I actually see a decent number of parallels with Marsh to Yelich if you compare them by age although Yelich is and was just a better pure hitter and Marsh will likely never come close to his ceiling.  But I think Marsh's power potential is there.  Some might call me crazy for making that statement as he's got to learn to elevate the ball which he hasn't shown as of yet.  So he still could end up like Kotchman who I see as another comp.  

btw, Adell went 3-5 tonight.