• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN Ranks Angels as Having Fourth-Best Offseason So Far

I'm not wishing for anyone to get injured, but what if Cole goes down and Verlander starts to show signs of age after two very long seasons in a row where he's thrown almost 500 innings.  

Our staff stays healthy for once.  The offense is what we hope it can be and our young pen guys do well.  

Maybe 90 wins steals the division.  

I do think we need a really solid reliever at the back of the pen though.  A stabilizer and someone who can mentor all the young guys.  

Lowrie or Moustakas wouldn't hurt either.  Another guy we've sort of overlooked is Asdrubal Cabrera - probably too poor of a defender to be on Billy's radar though.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Lowrie or Moustakas wouldn't hurt either.  Another guy we've sort of overlooked is Asdrubal Cabrera - probably too poor of a defender to be on Billy's radar though.  

I’ve been thinking he’s been an option for a couple years now. Reminds me of Escobar in some regards. Has his deficiencies, but his minimum contributions are reliable enough and fit our needs well enough that he’d be a reasonable target. 

Given who is still available and Eppler’s willingness to pursue so many free agents, I expect us to add at least one reliable reliever or infielder still, perhaps both. I think we’ll exceed what we expected them to spend this offseason, but not on long-term deals or by any large measure, and we’ll likely see him shed some of it midseason. 

14 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Parker and Alvarez are legitimate losses imo. Johnson much less,  but still a veteran relief pitcher with closing success. As of now our pen is not a wild card pen imo. 

Yes, but the pen is easily modified in season. The Angels playoff years always seem to do this.

2002 offseason transactions (They won 75 games in 2001). Aybar was a minor league free agent as was Bellinger (who is Cody's Dad). The other big move not listed here was to trade Mo Vaughn for Kevin Appier.  They also traded for Brad Fullmer.

• January 4, 2002: Aaron Sele was signed as a Free Agent with the Anaheim Angels.[3]
  • January 31, 2002: Donne Wall was signed as a Free Agent with the Anaheim Angels.[4]
  • February 4, 2002: Erick Aybar was signed as a Free Agent with the Anaheim Angels.[5]
  • February 7, 2002: Clay Bellinger was signed as a Free Agent with the Anaheim Angels.[6]

So the Angels had two new starters even though their 2001 staff had durable guys, the two new guys replaced Pat Rapp and Ismael Valdes.

Donne Wall was the big pen acquisition. He pitched 21 innings of 6.43 ERA ball out of the pen for the Angels and was cut.

They had Percival in the pen, and Ben Weber, and a few other names... but Donnelly and Schoeneweis along with Shields, Callaway and others were not part of the opening day roster, and of course, neither was Frankie.

Donne Wall, Lou Pote, Mark Lukasiewicz, Ben Weber, Al Levine, Troy Percival, ---I think that was the opening day pen. There might have been a 7th guy, (Matt Wise?) I'm not sure.

The World Series Pen was

Ben Weber, Scot Shields, Scott Schoeneweis, Brenden Donnelly, Frankie Rodriguez, and Troy Percival.

6 Man pen was common then?

Now we have at least 7, maybe 8?

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

I’ve been thinking he’s been an option for a couple years now. Reminds me of Escobar in some regards. Has his deficiencies, but his minimum contributions are reliable enough and fit our needs well enough that he’d be a reasonable target. 

Given who is still available and Eppler’s willingness to pursue so many free agents, I expect us to add at least one reliable reliever or infielder still, perhaps both. I think we’ll exceed what we expected them to spend this offseason, but not on long-term deals or by any large measure, and we’ll likely see him shed some of it midseason. 

I doubt they sign another infielder unless said infielder can also play OF, particularly CF.

The roster just doesn't work without a CF backup...John Jay certainly fits well.

That's the only offensive position that doesn't have a likely candidate currently on the 40-man roster. (I suppose Hermosillio is a candidate, but I just don't see him as a good fit).

The 25-Man roster right now I think is:

Heaney - SP

Skaggs - SP

Harvey - SP

Cahill - SP

Barria -SP

Buttrey -- Closer

Bedrosian - Arb Elg.

Garcia - Arb Elg.

Robles - Arb Elg.

3 of Pena / N. Ramirez / Cole /Anderson / Jerez / Peters

1B/DH Pujols

2B Cozart

SS Simmons

INF Fletcher / Ward

INF LaStella

1B/DH Bour

C Lucroy

C Smith

CF Trout

RF Calhoun

LF Upton

OF Bourjos (* Not On 40-Man)

DH Ohtani

60-Day DL Middleton, JC Ramirez.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I doubt they sign another infielder unless said infielder can also play OF, particularly CF.

The roster just doesn't work without a CF backup...John Jay certainly fits well.

That's the only offensive position that doesn't have a likely candidate currently on the 40-man roster. (I suppose Hermosillio is a candidate, but I just don't see him as a good fit).

There are enough FA IFs available with a track record and ceiling so much higher than that of La Stella and Fletcher, I would hope they explore what’s out there if they can find a deal. Cozart looked much better at 2B as well, both offensively defensively, so ideally a 3B. Considering they had Tulo on the board, the Angels seem to be at least open to this too.

I’d like to see a AAA IF of Ward, Fletcher, Rengifo, Thaiss with Tovar and Rojas backing up to start the year. Allows Rengifo to settle into 2B, keeps Fletcher getting reps at SS (they may be the middle infield of the future, briefly, if Simmons leaves), and gives us legit depth once injuries or suckage occur. Keep La Stella and the newly signed IF on a fairly short leash and pull Fletcher up when time is right.

And unless he blows it in ST, Hermosillo is my default 4th OF. With Adell right at his heels, this may be the only shot he has, and the Angels have, at seeing what his future here may be. John Jay has been available and a perfect fit every Eppler offseason so far, and either he doesn’t want to be here or Eppler doesn’t want him here.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Yes, but the pen is easily modified in season. The Angels playoff years always seem to do this.

2002 offseason transactions (They won 75 games in 2001). Aybar was a minor league free agent as was Bellinger (who is Cody's Dad). The other big move not listed here was to trade Mo Vaughn for Kevin Appier.  They also traded for Brad Fullmer.

• January 4, 2002: Aaron Sele was signed as a Free Agent with the Anaheim Angels.[3]
  • January 31, 2002: Donne Wall was signed as a Free Agent with the Anaheim Angels.[4]
  • February 4, 2002: Erick Aybar was signed as a Free Agent with the Anaheim Angels.[5]
  • February 7, 2002: Clay Bellinger was signed as a Free Agent with the Anaheim Angels.[6]

So the Angels had two new starters even though their 2001 staff had durable guys, the two new guys replaced Pat Rapp and Ismael Valdes.

Donne Wall was the big pen acquisition. He pitched 21 innings of 6.43 ERA ball out of the pen for the Angels and was cut.

They had Percival in the pen, and Ben Weber, and a few other names... but Donnelly and Schoeneweis along with Shields, Callaway and others were not part of the opening day roster, and of course, neither was Frankie.

Donne Wall, Lou Pote, Mark Lukasiewicz, Ben Weber, Al Levine, Troy Percival, ---I think that was the opening day pen. There might have been a 7th guy, (Matt Wise?) I'm not sure.

The World Series Pen was

Ben Weber, Scot Shields, Scott Schoeneweis, Brenden Donnelly, Frankie Rodriguez, and Troy Percival.

6 Man pen was common then?

Now we have at least 7, maybe 8?

Having percival was a big deal.  He was an established top second tier closer at the time. 

53 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I miss Ben Weber. He always had the look that, if it wasn't against the rules, he would hit every batter. 

lip8xn-b78737086z.120110326213259000girs

Ha! Weber crossed my mind the other day - wondered what he was doing in his post-MLB days. 

Well, here's the story: www.selmatimesjournal.com/2018/01/19/world-series-champion-pitcher-dr-ben-weber-continues-chiropractic-career-in-selma/

Made me think we should start a 'Where Are They Now?' thread and post up what we find, especially on the lesser-known guys. Was it Hasegawa that is a sort of pro golfer now in Japan?