• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2019-20 Free Agent Class

jordan

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20190104&content_id=302403844&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Arenado, Goldschmidt, Gerrit Cole, Rendon among many others AND players who could opt out...Rizzo, Carpenter, Martinez, Kluber among others. 

Upon further review, I’m totally ok with the Angels current off season moves. I think it will be clear what Pujols will do after this upcoming season. It will also be clear what Trout will do.  With the likes of Adell and Canning in the fold, I see the Angels being very active next off season. I’m really hoping for Arenado.  

lol I’ve seen this before

Oh right the last couple off seasons...

“The Angels MUST be saving money for next off season”

Next off season comes and we get more of the same signings and on field results. 

At this point there is no reason to believe that they’re planning on doing anything more than seeing the farm play out and extending Trout while Eppler continues to fling poo against the wall during FA hoping something eventually sticks.

8 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Next off season comes and we get more of the same signings and on field results. 

At this point there is no reason to believe that they’re planning on doing anything more than seeing the farm play out and extending Trout while Eppler continues to fling poo against the wall during FA hoping something eventually sticks.

Except they tried to spend money this offseason. This class just wound up preferring East Coast. And the club should become a little cheaper as some prospects should stick this season. 

I'd have to imagine that since they pursued Corbin this offseason, Gerrit Cole, a Cali product, will be on their radar next offseason.

18 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Except the timing hasn’t quite been right. I do expect the Angels to go after the big names the closer we get some of the youth more established on the major league roster. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Except they tried to spend money this offseason. This class just wound up preferring East Coast. And the club should become a little cheaper as some prospects should stick this season. 

I'd have to imagine that since they pursued Corbin this offseason, Gerrit Cole, a Cali product, will be on their radar next offseason.

I'd rather have Cole than Corbin.  

Cole, Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Canning, Suarez etc. in 2020......

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I’m not one to regret what the Angels do or don’t do, but man we should have pulled the trigger on a trade for Cole, assuming we had comparable prospects.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I’d be shocked if Goldy isn’t signed to an extension.  If Harper doesn’t end up back with the Nats they will re-sign Rendon.  

The Cards only big FA signing over the years was their own Matt Holiday being re-signed for iirc 6 or 7 years.  I can see them keeping Goldy too.

Just now, Stradling said:

I’m not one to regret what the Angels do or don’t do, but man we should have pulled the trigger on a trade for Cole, assuming we had comparable prospects.  

we didn't.  the Pirates wanted major league ready talent and the Astros had that redundancy available.  Something I think we'll have in two years.  

25 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Same here. And with Doug White in house, maybe theres some continuity from whatever he picked up in Houston. And Cole seems more likely to seek SoCal as a destination.

There are plenty of Eovaldi/Happ types as of right now too, and plenty of Cahill/Harvey types, looking at that list.

21 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Don't forget about Xander Bogaerts btw.  

could easily transition to 3b for a year and if we don't keep Simmons long term for whatever reason, he could move back to SS.  

He’s also only 27 in 2020.

Not to mention he has the same first name as my favorite pro golfer, the Halos very own X-man.

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

I agree cuz I was one of those people saying that... but....

The Angels finally have prospects about ready to blossom so either 2019-2020 offseason or 2020-2021 will they finally be heavily active. Those are also the years when some big contracts start to either expire or enter their final year so having that paired with prospects should offset the price as well as allow the Angels to use their “financial might”.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Gerrit Cole and Nolan Arenado are both Newport Beach residents... cough cough

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

I totally get this frustration because I too am frustrated.  I thought we would get Heyward that year, we didn’t.  I always assumed we would be the team that swooped in and got someone, but that hasn’t really happened for a free agent since Albert.  We did get Ohtani somewhat out of nowhere, which was amazing.  I do think he is purposely using free agency to get us to a certain point in time, where the farm will be ready, but who knows at this point.  I guess my point is if he doesn’t see a free agent as a guy that could be good and still putting up bigger numbers when the farm is ready, then he will sign guys to short term deals that expire before the farm is ready.  I fully admit I could be misreading this, but it is how i see it.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I totally get this frustration because I too am frustrated.  I thought we would get Heyward that year, we didn’t.  I always assumed we would be the team that swooped in and got someone, but that hasn’t really happened for a free agent since Albert.  We did get Ohtani somewhat out of nowhere, which was amazing.  I do think he is purposely using free agency to get us to a certain point in time, where the farm will be ready, but who knows at this point.  I guess my point is if he doesn’t see a free agent as a guy that could be good and still putting up bigger numbers when the farm is ready, then he will sign guys to short term deals that expire before the farm is ready.  I fully admit I could be misreading this, but it is how i see it.

I see it this way as well.  I think we'd have signed Corbin if given the chance.  I think we'll be in on a couple of big names next year.  Eppler is either going to get the guy he really wants without a massive overpay or he's going to stop gap the position.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Eppler has also said as much...they'll spend when the player and timing is right. He's just being incredibly patient in his plan, which is a good thing. 

I'm really thinking the vision is this team is being set up for 2020 and the decade following, with a flexible payroll, strong farm, good core of young players hitting the bigs, and this is the plan whether or not Trout is a part of it. They'll have the money to spend if need be. They'll have prospects to trade if need be. And they'll have enough good young talent at the MLB level to work with.

58 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Arenado or Cole, assuming a second straight strong season for Cole, would be a great addition a year from now.

Arenado checks off pretty much every box, and is only 29 in 2020.

Cole would be reunited with Doug White, and is also just 29 in 2020.

That’d be awesome.

Arenado would bring in a contract between 28-38million so the Angels would need those prospects to be ready to go. 

I’d imagine Cole could be 25-35million.

Im sorry, but i wish i could buy into that, but i dont. 
If the plan is to stay patient till the farm is ready, and thats why were not spending now, we wont be spending next year either as the full weight of the farm isnt going to be here till at least 21 or 22. 
It is highly unlikely that we jump from 10-12 to top 5 by next year.   We would need like 3-5 guys to pull a Regnifo and break out for that to be realistic. 
Yes i'm feeling a little bitter over what i perceive to be the team basically phoning in 19 and counting on the 10-1 longshot at the track to make rent money and i see little reason to expect anything aggressive till 21 at the soonest, more likely 22. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

If the plan is to stay patient till the farm is ready, and thats why were not spending now, we wont be spending next year either as the full weight of the farm isnt going to be here till at least 21 or 22. 
It is highly unlikely that we jump from 10-12 to top 5 by next year.   We would need like 3-5 guys to pull a Regnifo and break out for that to be realistic. 
Yes i'm feeling a little bitter over what i perceive to be the team basically phoning in 19 and counting on the 10-1 longshot at the track to make rent money and i see little reason to expect anything aggressive till 21 at the soonest, more likely 22. 

Flop, you are wrong on whether or not a farm is highly unlikely to move up 5-7 spots in a year.  Just by the simple fact that you are saying our farm isn’t ready to help right now is proof that it will probably move up in the rankings.  Most of the time the reasons a farm is rank so high is they have that one stud.  So when we look at some of the teams ahead of us you’d have to assume that some of those teams have that one stud that will move up to the majors.  Lets just say the Blue Jays are being rated so high because of Vlad Jr.  Well he is going to be in the majors next season.  Now it is possible that Adell makes the jump and that puts us back again, but not totally expected.  Also I am not sure why you keep moving the cross bars on the farm from 20, to 21 and now to 22.  As it relates to Eppler and signing guys before the farm is ready, well if the player they sign is young enough to still be really good when the farm is ready he would sign that guy.  Whether or not that happens I don’t know, but they did go hard after the top free agent pitcher this year with the goal of being that transitional guy.  

38 minutes ago, floplag said:

I don't think the surge in performance from Adell, Fletcher, Rengifo, Suarez, Canning, Sandoval, Knowles, Anderson, Barria, Ward, and Thaiss last season was coincidental. 

The Angels had way too many prospects take a sizable step forward for it to be chance. Some of the coaching, data, development, whatever we are putting into the farm clearly worked last year. If those systems hold next season, yes, I do think the Angels could be a Top 5 within 18 months, even with some graduations.

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Flop, you are wrong on whether or not a farm is highly unlikely to move up 5-7 spots in a year.  Just by the simple fact that you are saying our farm isn’t ready to help right now is proof that it will probably move up in the rankings.  Most of the time the reasons a farm is rank so high is they have that one stud.  So when we look at some of the teams ahead of us you’d have to assume that some of those teams have that one stud that will move up to the majors.  Lets just say the Blue Jays are being rated so high because of Vlad Jr.  Well he is going to be in the majors next season.  Now it is possible that Adell makes the jump and that puts us back again, but not totally expected.  Also I am not sure why you keep moving the cross bars on the farm from 20, to 21 and now to 22.  As it relates to Eppler and signing guys before the farm is ready, well if the player they sign is young enough to still be really good when the farm is ready he would sign that guy.  Whether or not that happens I don’t know, but they did go hard after the top free agent pitcher this year with the goal of being that transitional guy.  

You keep saying this and have nothing whatsoever to back it up aside from opinion.   
There is literally no evidence or resources you can site to suggest this is likely to happen without help.  The projections do not support your position nor do the rankings. 
You may end up right, they may all take a giant Regnifo type leap this year and become future stars, but right now today you are guessing/assuming.  
Not being ready to help now doesn't suggest it will be ready at any point in the future, not everyone develops to the major leagues.. We've seen this how many times in the last decade yet somehow you assume all these kids are different.  
Till i see it, im not buying it, end of story.