• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Prospect for prospect trades? How frequent?

Was wondering how frequently MLB teams trade prospects for prospects to improve depth at positions of weakness.  For instance, could we trade top #100 prospect Brandon Marsh, OF, from a position of strength and depth for an upper level top #100 prospect catcher in another organization.  Seems like catcher is the one position system-wide that we don't have answer coming long-term.  Any thoughts or suggested targets?

2 minutes ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Was wondering how frequently MLB teams trade prospects for prospects to improve depth at positions of weakness.  For instance, could we trade top #100 prospect Brandon Marsh, OF, from a position of strength and depth for an upper level top #100 prospect catcher in another organization.  Seems like catcher is the one position system-wide that we don't have answer coming long-term.  Any thoughts or suggested targets?

I can't remember the last time teams exchanged top 100 prospects without their being major league players involved as part of a bigger deal.  

Part of the reason is that teams know and likely value their own prospects more than the other teams.  

Plus, I wouldn't call our depth a position of strength as of yet.  We've got a lot of talent but the vast majority of it hasn't gotten out of A ball.  

I wondered the same thing. If I were a GM I would look at more trades like this. 

The Dodgers have two catchers in their top 10 list in Will Smith and Keibert Ruiz, it would be awesome to get a guy like Smith for the likes of Marsh or Jones as I'm sure Ruiz would cost way too much as their top prospect. 

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I can't remember the last time teams exchanged top 100 prospects without their being major league players involved as part of a bigger deal.  

Part of the reason is that teams know and likely value their own prospects more than the other teams.  

Plus, I wouldn't call our depth a position of strength as of yet.  We've got a lot of talent but the vast majority of it hasn't gotten out of A ball.  

My wording could have been better.  OF, more than most other positions in our system, seems like a position where we have quite a few names that could breakout and be top prospects in the organization (Adell, Marsh, Jahmai Jones (?), Adams, Deveaux, Knowles to name a few).  Threw Jones in the mix as another team may like him as an OF considering his experience even though we've moved him to 2b.  

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Earlier in the offseason, I proposed trading Marsh for one of Padres pitching prospects.

I think this is more realistic.  

Teams with a top catching prospect that will actually stick at C long term hold on to them like they're gold.  But how many catching prospects become top mlb guys?  

Just as a snapshot of top C prospects from 2011:

Jesus Montero, Devin Mesoraco, Willin Rosario, Gary Sanchez, Travis d'Arnaud, Austin Romine, Yasmani Grandal, Sebastian Valle, Tony Sanchez, Derek Norris.  

Meanwhile, we pick up an aging Lucroy and in combo with Kevan Smith, we are projected to have the 11th best catching tandem.  A win less than being in the top 3.  A win more than being in the bottom 3.  

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think this is more realistic.  

Teams with a top catching prospect that will actually stick at C long term hold on to them like they're gold.  But how many catching prospects become top mlb guys?  

Just as a snapshot of top C prospects from 2011:

Jesus Montero, Devin Mesoraco, Willin Rosario, Gary Sanchez, Travis d'Arnaud, Austin Romine, Yasmani Grandal, Sebastian Valle, Tony Sanchez, Derek Norris.  

Meanwhile, we pick up an aging Lucroy and in combo with Kevan Smith, we are projected to have the 11th best catching tandem.  A win less than being in the top 3.  A win more than being in the bottom 3.  

How crazy is that. 

We all make mathis jokes, but i guess it goes to show how important a good catcher is.

Mathis/napoli were like a gold combo.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

How crazy is that. 

We all make mathis jokes, but i guess it goes to show how important a good catcher is.

Mathis/napoli were like a gold combo.

I think Eppler views catchers like he views relievers.  You can get a slightly lesser version for a lot less dough.  

On January 4, 2019 at 11:19 AM, Dochalo said:

I found this interesting. 

who were the top 3?