• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Law on Canning

jessecrall

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

OMG I just doubled me checked and I see 6'1" everywhere.  I am baffled.

I had it firmly in my brain he was 5'11" as much as I have Mike Trout wearing #27 on his back.

Guess I was wrong.

When you wrote it I was like wait, what?  I figured I would have seen it typed up on here before this as being a concern.  I am glad you were mistaken this time.  

27 minutes ago, Second Base said:

But then there have been other pitchers that were successful with the inverted w (I always wondered by they didn't call it M) like CJ Wilson and Stephen Strasburg. 

Ultimately, I think it comes down to genetics. Either an arm (mostly elbow and shoulder) can withstand the pressure that comes from repeatedly throwing 95 mph fastballs and diving sliders or splitters, or it can't. We've seen a ton of relievers with terrible mechanics carve out long careers, and others with a beautiful throwing motion get hurt and never recover.

Weaver had the W, never broke down -- I personally think that's one of the most overblown things people look at, but again, Prior became the poster child for it when he broke down. 

The W was obvious to see but he had a ton of mechanical quirks/flaws that people were concerned with... he was so fluid and so gifted physically people focused on how easy he made it look instead..  Anyway, the whole thing about his having perfect mechanics was something that Tom House said, and then Peter Gammons repeated.  Gammons was king of the hill at ESPN at the time and everyone else parroted it but there were always concerns about his chest to glove and how he opened up.   

Prior was IMO the perfect pitching prospect because he really did have the absolute perfect build for pitching.   Many have focused on his mechanics but I think the collision he took with Giles? (I think it was Giles), and the line drive he took off Brad Hawpe's bat did as much long term damage as anything else that happened to him.  He came out of that HBP with a compression fracture of the elbow...   He never seemed to fully recover from that.  I forget where I read it and cant recall the specifics, but years later Andrews or someone found that he had suffered some injury with either muscle or tendon's being off the bone completely that had never been diagnosed or seen in a SP -- an injury more commonly seen with trauma type injuries..

Lastly -- Doucheby Baker was as bad a butcher of arms as was Terry Collins.  

26 minutes ago, Stradling said:

When you wrote it I was like wait, what?  I figured I would have seen it typed up on here before this as being a concern.  I am glad you were mistaken this time.  

I most often look at fangraphs.  I was just staring at Griffin's page on fangraphs trying to figure out how on earth I had it so squarely in my brain that he was 5'11".

He was born 5/11/96.

That has to be it.  My brain incorrectly logged that 5/11 as his height.

I am so happy to be wrong.  6'1" isn't 6'5" but I feel better about that than 5'11"!

23 hours ago, Second Base said:

But then there have been other pitchers that were successful with the inverted w (I always wondered by they didn't call it M) like CJ Wilson and Stephen Strasburg. 

Ultimately, I think it comes down to genetics. Either an arm (mostly elbow and shoulder) can withstand the pressure that comes from repeatedly throwing 95 mph fastballs and diving sliders or splitters, or it can't. We've seen a ton of relievers with terrible mechanics carve out long careers, and others with a beautiful throwing motion get hurt and never recover.

Is this a joke? You cannot be serious lol. Strasburg had Tommy John his first year in the majors to just point out one of the times he was injured and CJ Wilson couldn’t even finish out the contract he signed with the Angels due to bone spurs among other things. 

1 minute ago, TroutField said:

Is this a joke? You cannot be serious lol. Strasburg had Tommy John his first year in the majors to just point out one of the times he was injured and CJ Wilson couldn’t even finish out the contract he signed with the Angels due to bone spurs among other things. 

CJ Wilson had a Tommy John surgery at age 22 in AA.

1 hour ago, TroutField said:

Hmm...Strasburg is 29, has seven straight seasons of 20+ GS, 27.4 career WAR, 200+ starts of 3.14 ball, CJ was an above-average pitcher 7 of his 11 seasons....

What defines success to you? Both have had their injury issues but I'd say both definitely qualify as a successful major league arm.

Strasburg has been very solid, when healthy.   But he hasn't made over 28 starts since 2014, and only exceeded 150 innings once since then.

His WHIP climbed in 2018 to its' highest ever as a MLB pitcher (1.20), and HRs allowed increased to 18 in just 130 innings.   K's are still really good though.

Still has 5 seasons left on his 7 years/$175 million deal.