• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Law on Canning

jessecrall

54 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I dunno - breaking balls, well, "don't" in SLC - not really the best place for a pitcher fine-tuning their repertoire for a call-up to be.

53 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

in high altitude the ball doesn't move the same.  I think it would be an easier adjustment for the players if the environments were more similar.  Especially those that shuttle back and forth.  

I think he and I are both talking about the mental side of the game. Experiencing difficulty or hardship in your results makes you tougher when you arrive in the Majors where almost everyone experiences failure on a consistent basis.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I was thinking the nice thing about Canning is that he has a very high floor. Assuming health, I don't see him being anything less than a solid #3, like Heaney was in 2018. 

On the other hand, he's a pitcher - so the floor is always arm blow out. Two very high floor--and higher ceiling than Canning--guys that come to mind are Matt Moore and Mark Prior. Moore isn't done and is serviceable, but his career hasn't gone the way he was hoping eight years, when some considered hiim a better prospect than Trout. Prior is a tragedy.

Mark Prior is the reason I dont even bother looking at mechanics. His were beautiful, textbook, perfect, and he still couldn't stay healthy. I don't care how a pitcher brings it anymore, as long as they do it consistently.

21 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Mark Prior is the reason I dont even bother looking at mechanics. His were beautiful, textbook, perfect, and he still couldn't stay healthy. I don't care how a pitcher brings it anymore, as long as they do it consistently.

that's funny I feel the same way although it didn't help that the cubs rode him hard right away.  

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Mark Prior had the perfect pitcher's body -- his mechanics were always off and he was known for the inverted W...  Dude became the poster child for it.   The myth of his perfect mechanics was started by Tom House, his pitching coach and a guy who had a vested interest in spreading the story.   Here's a pretty good link regarding the entire deal.. 

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/pitchingmechanics101/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics.html

Here is another https://www.topvelocity.net/mark-prior-pitching-mechanics-ended-career/   

There were many many things written about Prior and how even the most perfect pitcher's body can be undone by poor mechanics.

Edit: Fwiw, I think the second article is a tad heavy handed...  Ultimately the usage and that collision he had probably did more to cause long term damage.  There were also whispers of steroids.   Prior was going to be great, then he broke.

Edited by Inside Pitch

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

my guess is about 140 but I think they'll limit him to 5ip when hes' in the minors.  

One benefit from having an opener like TB had last season is the "2nd starter" doesn't need to go 5 innings for the win. It might make it an easier decision to remove a pitcher who is struggling in the fifth or earlier when he has a lead.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think Canning fits in well as a the number 3 starter behind Ohtani, Heaney. 

Pending skaggs is traded or we sign another number 1 or 2 starter. 

Not going to lie, I’d be moderately disappointed if the guy with the nasty curve and mid 90s fb didn’t end up better than the guy who’s breaking ball doesn’t break haha

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Mark Prior had the perfect pitcher's body -- his mechanics were always off and he was known for the inverted W...  Dude became the poster child for it.   The myth of his perfect mechanics was started by Tom House, his pitching coach and a guy who had a vested interest in spreading the story.   Here's a pretty good link regarding the entire deal.. 

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/pitchingmechanics101/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics.html

Here is another https://www.topvelocity.net/mark-prior-pitching-mechanics-ended-career/   

There were many many things written about Prior and how even the most perfect pitcher's body can be undone by poor mechanics.

Edit: Fwiw, I think the second article is a tad heavy handed...  Ultimately the usage and that collision he had probably did more to cause long term damage.  There were also whispers of steroids.   Prior was going to be great, then he broke.

But then there have been other pitchers that were successful with the inverted w (I always wondered by they didn't call it M) like CJ Wilson and Stephen Strasburg. 

Ultimately, I think it comes down to genetics. Either an arm (mostly elbow and shoulder) can withstand the pressure that comes from repeatedly throwing 95 mph fastballs and diving sliders or splitters, or it can't. We've seen a ton of relievers with terrible mechanics carve out long careers, and others with a beautiful throwing motion get hurt and never recover.

21 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think all of us would be ecstatic if he became a number 2 starter. 

Absolutely.  Everyone would be stoked and we all are pulling for this.

The mental obstacle to have real faith on this is simply his body.

It is just not normal for a 5'11" (that is listed so he is probably 5'10") right handed starting pitcher to be a stud.

Put his talent into a 6'5" frame and it would be way easier to legitimately hope for #2 type upside.

It is what is is.  At 5'11" I am not comfortable expecting more than #3/4 production.

I don't think this guy is Roy Oswalt or Pedro Martinez.  I think he is probably more like a Kirk McCaskill (although even Kirk was 6'1").

Height is not the end-all-be-all but the reality is there are limitations to the body, and the fact that he is 5'11" shouldn't be ignored.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Absolutely.  Everyone would be stoked and we all are pulling for this.

The mental obstacle to have real faith on this is simply his body.

It is just not normal for a 5'11" (that is listed so he is probably 5'10") right handed starting pitcher to be a stud.

Put his talent into a 6'5" frame and it would be way easier to legitimately hope for #2 type upside.

It is what is is.  At 5'11" I am not comfortable expecting more than #3/4 production.

I don't think this guy is Roy Oswalt or Pedro Martinez.  I think he is probably more like a Kirk McCaskill (although even Kirk was 6'1").

Height is not the end-all-be-all but the reality is there are limitations to the body, and the fact that he is 5'11" shouldn't be ignored.

So would we be putting that into a 6’5” frame or would it really only be a 6’4” frame?

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Oh and I just looked in three different places and all three had him listed at 6’1”

OMG I just doubled me checked and I see 6'1" everywhere.  I am baffled.

I had it firmly in my brain he was 5'11" as much as I have Mike Trout wearing #27 on his back.

Guess I was wrong.