• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Law on Canning

jessecrall

It's difficult to envision someone with Canning's repertoire being anything less than a mid rotation starter. It isn't often you find someone with as much collegiate success, sitting in the mid-90s with two plus offspeed pitches and another average offering. If you do find someone like that, they typically leave the draft board in the first 5-10 picks of the first round. 

One of the better draft picks in a collection of great picks from Eppler.

1 hour ago, Randy Gradishar said:

I was hoping for new legislation requiring all craft beers to come in cans.

I thought it might be tuna or clams.

More small craft style breweries are going to cans here in Oregon, which I really like. Makes recycling so much easier and really seems to have little if any effect on taste.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

His high AAA ERA = further proof that the AAA Halos need to move from SLC to a lower altitude?

How many innings would be safe for him to pitch across AAA and the MLB team in 2019?

I kind of think of Salt Lake as a proving grounds of sorts: If you can handle the likely ups and downs of Utah it can prepare you mentally for the Majors? ?

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

His high AAA ERA = further proof that the AAA Halos need to move from SLC to a lower altitude?

How many innings would be safe for him to pitch across AAA and the MLB team in 2019?

With that thinking, any pitcher who has had success in SLC, should be dominant when called to Anaheim but somehow it hasn't worked out that way.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's difficult to envision someone with Canning's repertoire being anything less than a mid rotation starter. It isn't often you find someone with as much collegiate success, sitting in the mid-90s with two plus offspeed pitches and another average offering. If you do find someone like that, they typically leave the draft board in the first 5-10 picks of the first round. 

One of the better draft picks in a collection of great picks from Eppler.

I was thinking the nice thing about Canning is that he has a very high floor. Assuming health, I don't see him being anything less than a solid #3, like Heaney was in 2018. 

On the other hand, he's a pitcher - so the floor is always arm blow out. Two very high floor--and higher ceiling than Canning--guys that come to mind are Matt Moore and Mark Prior. Moore isn't done and is serviceable, but his career hasn't gone the way he was hoping eight years, when some considered hiim a better prospect than Trout. Prior is a tragedy.

Back on the max innings question, he pitched 119 innings for UCLA in 2017, and then 113 innings in the minors in 2018.

What is a safe max innings count for him in 2019?   140?  150?  162?  

He had a really solid GB/FB ratio and K's total across the minors in 2018.   That definitely gives him excellent potential. 

8 minutes ago, fwise said:

Canning, his agent and the Angels floated a questionable medical report so he could fall to his hometown team.  Eppler is a savvy mofo.

If you are going to make an account just to make a post like this, you better provide some sort of proof for it like a link to a story that backs it up.

I'm just BS'ing.  It's a conspiracy theory that I've always thought made some sense.  Canning probably could have gone in the 20's but maybe that difference in bonus money was worth the trade-off of playing for the Angels.  Especially for a guy so close to major league ready out the door.