• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yusei Kikuchi nearing an agreement with the Seattle Mariners

rafibomb

@Lou  @Dochalo  When it was first reported the story was not totally complete on the particulars of the options. Someone asked a question in regard to the Luxury Tax ( @Stradling I believe). The initial report was the option was a dual one where either Kikuchi or the Mariners could choose to pick it up. In that case, the AAV, for Luxury Tax purposes, is calculated for the first part of the contract based on those years and total salary and then the second part of the contract, if both sides pick it up has a different calculation for the years and total of the second half of that contract.

That was the question I was answering. I actually had not looked hard at the contract money as I was going off the initial report off of Twitter and was just trying to recall it from memory which is why I added the 'or whatever it is' at the end of it because I was too lazy to go back and look it up. :D

Just now, ettin said:

@Lou  @Dochalo  When it was first reported the story was not totally complete on the particulars of the options. Someone asked a question in regard to the Luxury Tax ( @Stradling I believe). The initial report was the option was a dual one where either Kikuchi or the Mariners could choose to pick it up. In that case, the AAV, for Luxury Tax purposes, is calculated for the first part of the contract based on those years and total salary and then the second part of the contract, if both sides pick it up has a different calculation for the years and total of the second half of that contract.

That was the question I was answering. I actually had not looked hard at the contract money as I was going off the initial report off of Twitter and was just trying to recall it from memory which is why I added the 'or whatever it is' at the end of it because I was too lazy to go back and look it up. :D

@Lou

SEEEEEE!!!!

wait what?  

3/43 is what, $14.333 M per season? And that’s not even including the team or player options, which add 13 or 66 M over 1-4 more years.

7/109 is way higher than anyone expected he would get, even if only 43 was guaranteed. I saw a few think he might get 6/42 which is $7 M per. I expected him to get 10-12 M per but not this much. I thought it would take 5/50-60 but hey Dipoto overpaid.

Now that they missed out on Kikuchi, and likely are out on Keuchel as well, do they explore a Sonny Gray grade? 

Do they need another starter?

or do they turn to relievers or another bat?

We may not be done, the offseason has 6 more weeks, but it seems close to calling it an offseason.

Machado likely signs this week and Harper and Keuchel will follow shortly thereafter.

Then all the rest of the B and C free agents will sign.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they added two or three more names, but not anyone significant. I’d still like Gray, and Robertson, and maybe a bat like John Jay.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

actually, it would say Therapist.  or The Rapist.  

can you name the sitcom?  

Is that like "Analyst / Therapist" -- or "AnalRapist" ....?  

Coincidentally, "43" is precisely the percentage chance that I give Kikuchi finishing year 1 without shoulder surgery.  

49 minutes ago, Hubs said:

3/43 is what, $14.333 M per season? And that’s not even including the team or player options, which add 13 or 66 M over 1-4 more years.

7/109 is way higher than anyone expected he would get, even if only 43 was guaranteed. I saw a few think he might get 6/42 which is $7 M per. I expected him to get 10-12 M per but not this much. I thought it would take 5/50-60 but hey Dipoto overpaid.

Now that they missed out on Kikuchi, and likely are out on Keuchel as well, do they explore a Sonny Gray grade? 

Do they need another starter?

or do they turn to relievers or another bat?

We may not be done, the offseason has 6 more weeks, but it seems close to calling it an offseason.

Machado likely signs this week and Harper and Keuchel will follow shortly thereafter.

Then all the rest of the B and C free agents will sign.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they added two or three more names, but not anyone significant. I’d still like Gray, and Robertson, and maybe a bat like John Jay.

I don't think the Mariners bid was even close to being matched. As I heard, teams were sticking to 3-4 year deals with a low AAV. I'm thinking Boras played Dipoto into outbidding himself.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

it also doesn't include the posting fee 

Oh yes, even with the new percentage based system, that’s gotta be close to $20 if the 109 side of the option is exercised.