• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yusei Kikuchi countdown

Sorry we didn't land Kikuchi, guys. I have to imagine the Mariners coming in with a unique, potentially seven year deal had something to do with it. Gotta give Dipoto creativity points on that one. If iKikuchi doesn't like Seattle, it's a three year deal. If the Mariners don't like him, but Kikuchi wants an additional year, it becomes a four year deal. If the Mariners really like him, it becomes a seven year deal. Lots of directions this can can go.

If his shoulder injury really does flar up and cost him velocity and effectiveness, Seattle is off the hook after a short commitment. If he's elite, Seattle keeps him for seven years.

Because of the structure of it all, I call this a big with for the Mariners. If they can pull off a deal structured like that, the asking price must not have been high at all.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Sorry we didn't land Kikuchi, guys. I have to imagine the Mariners coming in with a unique, potentially seven year deal had something to do with it. Gotta give Dipoto creativity points on that one. If iKikuchi doesn't like Seattle, it's a three year deal. If the Mariners don't like him, but Kikuchi wants an additional year, it becomes a four year deal. If the Mariners really like him, it becomes a seven year deal. Lots of directions this can can go.

If his shoulder injury really does flar up and cost him velocity and effectiveness, Seattle is off the hook after a short commitment. If he's elite, Seattle keeps him for seven years.

Because of the structure of it all, I call this a big with for the Mariners. If they can pull off a deal structured like that, the asking price must not have been high at all.

i'm not upset about it. if he does great, then good for him. i'm not a fan of signing guys with shoulder injuries to anything other than prove it deals. it's a career ending injury, and i'd hate to see the angels sign a new shit contract.

• 6 months later...

This signing isn't looking so good. Harvey and Cahill might have flopped, but at least it was only one year. 

Pretty much every aspect of Kikuchi's game has sucked...
He's hittable...121 hits allowed in 107 innings (10+ hits per 9)
He doesn't walk too many people, but it's still below-average...38 on the year, or 3.2 per 9 innings.
He gives up a lot of home runs...22 in 21 starts, almost 2 per 9 innings. 
And he doesn't really strike many out...only 79 on the year, a K/9 of 6.6

$10m this year, $16m next year, $17m the year after...and then a $13m player option for '22. 
As it stands right now, doubtful the Mariners will want to pick up the '22-'25 options at $16.5m per.

42 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This signing isn't looking so good. Harvey and Cahill might have flopped, but at least it was only one year. 

He's hittable...121 hits allowed in 107 innings (10+ hits per 9)
He doesn't walk too many people, but it's still below-average...38 on the year, or 3.2 per 9 innings.
He gives up a lot of home runs...22 in 21 starts, almost 2 per 9 innings. 
And he doesn't really strike many out...only 79 on the year, a K/9 of 6.6

$10m this year, $16m next year, $17m the year after...and then a $13m player option for '22. 
As it stands right now, doubtful the Mariners will want to pick up the '22-'25 options at $16.5m per.

He sucks and I've been bashing him on the Mariners subreddit since like his 4th start. Caught a lot of flack for it back then, but people slowly coming around to my assessment. 

1 hour ago, Ender said:

He sucks and I've been bashing him on the Mariners subreddit since like his 4th start. Caught a lot of flack for it back then, but people slowly coming around to my assessment. 

It’s not terribly unrealistic he comes around a little bit, but every time I’ve seen him I don’t see much more than a #4-5 who will struggle to post anything below a 4.50 ERA, best case. Definitely not worth the money. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

He's hittable...121 hits allowed in 107 innings (10+ hits per 9) 81 hits in 87 innings (8.4 hits/9IP)
He doesn't walk too many people, but it's still below-average...38 on the year, or 3.2 per 9 innings. 26 walks, or 2.2 walks/9IP
He gives up a lot of home runs...22 in 21 starts, almost 2 per 9 innings. 14 in 16 starts or 1.5 HR/9IP
And he doesn't really strike many out...only 79 on the year, a K/9 of 6.6  69 SO for a 7.1 SO/9IP

Adjusted in red to remove starts against Angels

Edit:  And has a 3.93 ERA against non-Angels opponents

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

3 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Adjusted in red to remove starts against Angels

That’s better but still not particularly good. A lot of HRs per 9, not a lot of strikeouts, and while the BB and hit numbers are better, still nothing very good.

At least the Angels are beating him up. This feels like the type of pitcher that would have owned us every time out a few years back. 

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That’s better but still not particularly good. A lot of HRs per 9, not a lot of strikeouts, and while the BB and hit numbers are better, still nothing very good.

At least the Angels are beating him up. This feels like the type of pitcher that would have owned us every time out a few years back. 

Agreed.  I wasn't really trying to make a point, just thought it would be a fun exercise to show it.  I mean, in totality without the Angels starts he has been OK.  Better than most of our pitchers.  And at $10M that's not so bad.  However, like you said, his cost is going up. And you can't really just discount his Angels starts. 

I'd say they should just not have him pitch against the Angels, but I really hope that doesn't happen.