• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yusei Kikuchi countdown

Kicking it off with a new post. Kikuchi has a few more days until he has to sign so let’s post all the rumors we know about him here. 

Eppler has yet to throw a “touchdown” and this could be it. Angels have about 11million left to spend (if we’re being cheap). 

If anyone sees the latest rumors on him then let’s post it here so we’re all in the loop! 

My guess is the Angels are one of a couple teams on the West Coast that had a number in mind and floated in Boras' direction. Seeing as the bidding isn't as high as others think, teams are waiting until the last moment for theirs, which explains the lack of offers. But in true Boras fashion, interest being drummed up is inflated.

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’ve heard we haven’t made our “formal” presentation to him yet.  

I’m not challenging you to state where you’ve heard that, but I am overall curious since I haven’t heard anything. I would be shocked if we don’t present to him. 

To be honest, ever since I’ve heard Ohtani state that he can’t wait to face him next season, I wonder if he doesn’t want him on the team haha. 

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I’m not challenging you to state where you’ve heard that, but I am overall curious since I haven’t heard anything. I would be shocked if we don’t present to him. 

To be honest, ever since I’ve heard Ohtani state that he can’t wait to face him next season, I wonder if he doesn’t want him on the team haha. 

I am sure we will present to him, Eppler is always prepared for that type of stuff and even stated there was some interest early in the off season.  As for the Ohtani part I just think he is a competitor and likes the challenge of facing a guy.  

9 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Kikuchi is a touchdown? 

Ohtani was a touchdown. Kikuchi....is more like a 1st down. 

Let’s be honest, if we were to judge the acquisitions we’ve made for this season, Kikuchi would be considered the touchdown. I agree it’s like a field goal from the 40 yard line, but adding him does create insane pitching depth for the 2020 season. Plus, his contract wouldn’t be ridiculous either. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I am sure we will present to him, Eppler is always prepared for that type of stuff and even stated there was some interest early in the off season.  As for the Ohtani part I just think he is a competitor and likes the challenge of facing a guy.  

Agreed. I remember writing down teams of why Ohtani would and wouldn’t want to sign with the Angels, mariners etc... and I do remember feeling like he wanted to create the Japanese name on a team and not fill the shoes. 

Either way, Kikuchi would great insane depth for 2020:

(In no order) Ohtani, Skaggs, Kikuchi, Heaney, Barria, Suarez, Ramirez, Canning. 

1 hour ago, popo85 said:

If they do sign Kikuchi does one of the other 5 guys become a spot starter/ bullpen help?

Likely. Just think of the depth for 2020 with our pitchers making affordable amounts. There could be more than enough funding to even add someone like Cole to lead the rotation and then possibly Arenado at 3b 

3 hours ago, popo85 said:

If they do sign Kikuchi does one of the other 5 guys become a spot starter/ bullpen help?

I seem to remember seeing somewhere the Eppler hadn’t closed the idea of a six man rotation this season. Also, Cahill could fit as a swingman since injuries are inevitable, given his history pitching out of the pen. 

There's some skepticism within at least one front office that Kikuchi has actually received competitive offers. It's known that the Angels have spoken with Boras and Kikuchi at least once, and there's some belief they've had several discussions, though that isn't grounded in anything but Kikuchi's schedule. 

Again, at least one front office believes that Kikuchi won't get as high of an offer as expected, and that the Angels are the front-runners.