• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shoe finds home

LAAMike

Just now, aznhockeyguy said:

I don't understand why you let Shoemaker go and then you go ahead and sign Harvey for more money.  If Shoe sucked in 2019, you non-tender.  I'd rather have Shoe than Harvey.

Because the upside of Harvey, who is regaining his velocity, was too much for Eppler to pass up on.  Plus if Harvey pitches well and the Angels suck you can trade him for more prospects.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because the upside of Harvey, who is regaining his velocity, was too much for Eppler to pass up on.  Plus if Harvey pitches well and the Angels suck you can trade him for more prospects.  

The same can be said about Shoemaker to a lesser degree.  For the past 3 seasons, Shoemaker has been the better pitcher in less starts based on WAR.  I'll take recent production over "upside" any day, especially if it's almost 2x cheaper.

3 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

The same can be said about Shoemaker to a lesser degree.  For the past 3 seasons, Shoemaker has been the better pitcher in less starts based on WAR.  I'll take recent production over "upside" any day, especially if it's almost 2x cheaper.

Ok, but Eppler chose to go with Harvey, probably based on his velocity and Doug White (the new pitching coach) and the work he did with pitchers once they got to Houston.  

5 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

I feel like Cahill is the even more appropriate substitute, as his upside is an average Shoemaker.

But really, just keep all 3, because wtf is $4M going to do.

I liked the Cahill signing more than Harvey's.  Apparently, 4M can get you a season of Shoemaker.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, but Eppler chose to go with Harvey, probably based on his velocity and Doug White (the new pitching coach) and the work he did with pitchers once they got to Houston.  

I understand the reasoning, but I don't understand the logic.  Eppler non-tendered fairly decent and cheapish players to save money to go after better players.  However, the players he did sign aren't that much better than the ones he let go in recent seasons and they were much more expensive!  Yes, they may have shown better talent, but that was some years ago.  I do hope I'm wrong about the Harvey signing and he does show up this season.

36 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I don't understand why you let Shoemaker go and then you go ahead and sign Harvey for more money.  If Shoe sucked in 2019, you non-tender.  I'd rather have Shoe than Harvey.

I don't understand why they didn't do both to be honest.

As for Shoe -- Toronto may not be the best place for him given his HR tendencies but, he's across Lake Michigan from home -- so, I'm sure his family is pretty stoked.