• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Interested in Josh Harrison? // Remaining IF Market

totdprods

Jon MorosiVerified account @jonmorosi 42m42 minutes ago
Josh Harrison's market includes #Rangers, #Angels and #Nationals, among other teams, sources say. @MLB @MLBNetwork

This seems like the Eppleriest of Eppler FA IF possibilities. Typically, I'd feel good with this, but Eppler's lack of success with Kinsler, Espinosa, and to a degree Cozart, leave me a little iffy. 
Seems to indicate the Angels may still be browsing the infield FA market, which I think is wise - there are plenty of options available still, and there's been little to no movement so far. Some of these guys could be had cheaply, and even if it means Fletcher starts the season in AAA, it's worth considering.

Harrison is very good defensively and his addition would give the Angels crazy depth in the infield - he'd possibly be able to spot some time in corner outfield here and there as well. Hits lefties well.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

If he was super cheap, otherwise id rather roll with fletcher. The guy has a career OPS of .317, id rather have Cozart play 2nd and sign Mous.

My thoughts exactly. He seems like a more expensive, less versatile, more proven Fletcher. And I would much prefer a Moose signing - it’s actually one of my favored outcomes right now.

Only thing I can think of is that Eppler specifically targets guys like Harrison and Kinsler and Escobar and Maybin fully intending on flipping them at the deadline. Sometimes it works - Sandoval, Buttrey, Madero, Jerez - sometimes it doesn’t. 

If Harrison rebounds, he’s very attractive to contending teams at the deadline, and if it just costs us a few mil and some Fletcher playing time, it might be worth it.

My guess is they see him as a guy that can play most infield positions and all outfield positions.  He is a year removed from a 3 WAR season.  Free agency has been very expensive this year, so who knows how much he will cost.  My guess is whatever he gets will come with criticism from that teams fan base.  

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

My thoughts exactly. He seems like a more expensive, less versatile, more proven Fletcher. And I would much prefer a Moose signing - it’s actually one of my favored outcomes right now.

Only thing I can think of is that Eppler specifically targets guys like Harrison and Kinsler and Escobar and Maybin fully intending on flipping them at the deadline. Sometimes it works - Sandoval, Buttrey, Madero, Jerez - sometimes it doesn’t. 

If Harrison rebounds, he’s very attractive to contending teams at the deadline, and if it just costs us a few mil and some Fletcher playing time, it might be worth it.

You posted this twice, an hour apart.  

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My guess is they see him as a guy that can play most infield positions and all outfield positions.  He is a year removed from a 3 WAR season.  Free agency has been very expensive this year, so who knows how much he will cost.  My guess is whatever he gets will come with criticism from that teams fan base.  

He hasn’t played much OF recently though - but perhaps they feel he still can. 

Like I said, it could also be that this part more of Eppler’s stealthy rebuild rather than an intent to contend. He looks for cheap assets he can flip midseason to add useful prospects to the farm, and if they suck or are helping the Angels contend for a WC spot instead, no loss, save for a few mil.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Am I wrong in the thought that Harrison and La Stella would be too repetitive?

Harrison replaces Kinsler as the starting 2B. Great defense, possible rebound bat.
La Stella replaces Marte. More versatility, actual offensive production. 
Bour replaces Valbuena. Less versatility (La Stella covers that) and hopefully more consistency.
Fletcher replaces Cowart. Just as versatile and defensively gifted, actually able to hit, first guy to use when someone gets injured.
Ward/Rengifo replaces JMF, Schimpf, and Fontana as the next guy due up after Fletcher.

Improvement at every spot, with the exception of Harrison and Kinsler, who are likely close to a draw. But you still take a chance on him rebounding.

Just now, totdprods said:

Harrison replaces Kinsler as the starting 2B. Great defense, possible rebound bat.
La Stella replaces Marte. More versatility, actual offensive production. 
Bour replaces Valbuena. Less versatility (La Stella covers that) and hopefully more consistency.
Fletcher replaces Cowart. Just as versatile and defensively gifted, actually able to hit, first guy to use when someone gets injured

So you’d see it as Harrison starts at 2nd, Cozart starts at 3rd, Bour is the DH until Ohtani comes back then he is platooned in some sense with Albert, La Stella is the back up infielder, and Fletcher and Ward back to the minor?  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

So you’d see it as Harrison starts at 2nd, Cozart starts at 3rd, Bour is the DH until Ohtani comes back then he is platooned in some sense with Albert, La Stella is the back up infielder, and Fletcher and Ward back to the minor?  

Yeah, that's what I'd imagine. Harrison or Cozart could play either 2B or 3B, based on where they feel they'd play best. 
Cozart, and possibly Harrison, would be back-up SS, so no need for La Stella to have to cover that. He'd just give you the depth at the corners and 2B. 

Fletcher replaces Cowart as the optionable first-guy up. Or Ward or Rengifo if they're hitting and fit the needs better. 
I love Fletcher but not opposed to layering our depth.  

To me, it's not about how much of an improvement Harrison is over Fletcher...it's about how much of an improvement Fletcher is over Cowart. 
I have no doubts Fletcher could be as good as Harrison - but that means we're moving everyone below him up a peg as well, and while that means Rengifo, if also includes Wilfredo Tovar, our ST-invite AAA infielder. I want us to get away from having to rely on guys like Tovar - or Schimpf, or Brendan Harris, or Gregorio Petit, or Nick Franklin - every season. Stack the depth!

1 hour ago, totdprods said:
Jon MorosiVerified account @jonmorosi 42m42 minutes ago
Josh Harrison's market includes #Rangers, #Angels and #Nationals, among other teams, sources say. @MLB @MLBNetwork

This seems like the Eppleriest of Eppler FA IF possibilities. Typically, I'd feel good with this, but Eppler's lack of success with Kinsler, Espinosa, and to a degree Cozart, leave me a little iffy. 
Seems to indicate the Angels may still be browsing the infield FA market, which I think is wise - there are plenty of options available still, and there's been little to no movement so far. Some of these guys could be had cheaply, and even if it means Fletcher starts the season in AAA, it's worth considering.

Harrison is very good defensively and his addition would give the Angels crazy depth in the infield - he'd possibly be able to spot some time in corner outfield here and there as well. Hits lefties well.

Was Kinsler a lack of success? 3 WAR and he netted us two good bullpen arms.

3 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Was Kinsler a lack of success? 3 WAR and he netted us two good bullpen arms.

That’s kinda the point I’m trying to make. Lack of success was a little harsh, and I lumped him in with the wrong crowd - a better term would have been failed to rebound. He was par the course for his ‘17 season.

I could see Harrison repeating Kinsler for us. 2 WAR, good defense, okay bat, dealt for a prospect in July. That’d be worth a few mil and a couple months playing time away from Fletcher to me.