• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels still in on Sonny Gray?

Dtwncbad

Are the Angels still in on this guy after signing Cahill and Harvey?

While none of Harvey, Cahill or Gray individually really excites me, having all three actually could feel pretty good.

Last I read (SI today) the Yanks and Reds are still talking about Gray with the Yanks "not seeking very top prospects" but rather from a tier below.

12 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Are the Angels still in on this guy after signing Cahill and Harvey?

While none of Harvey, Cahill or Gray individually really excites me, having all three actually could feel pretty good.

Last I read (SI today) the Yanks and Reds are still talking about Gray with the Yanks "not seeking very top prospects" but rather from a tier below.

I doubt it.  I think we're more likely in on Kikuchi or Grandal if we're going to do anything significant.  Otherwise, I think we'll make a small move for another catcher and add a couple of cheap relief options.  

Have they ever been? I know Eppler’s MO is radio silence, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone connect the Angels to Gray in any reports or even much speculation so far.

I think at this point, if they add another SP, it’ll be someone very cheap on a low-dollar or ST invite deal, or someone with bonafide frontline magnitude - Keuchel perhaps, but more likely a Greinke or Kluber - or someone else of impact at catcher or relief help. Gray is a little redundant after Harvey and Cahill.

It definitely feels like they're 1 player away from real contention; Fangraphs has them projected at 84-78, 2 games back of the Rays for the 2nd Wild Card. Signing Grandal or signing Kikuchi and flipping a back-end starter like Barria for an OK catcher would make a huge difference if the A's come back to earth and no one else takes a leap forward.

1 hour ago, jessecrall said:

It definitely feels like they're 1 player away from real contention; Fangraphs has them projected at 84-78, 2 games back of the Rays for the 2nd Wild Card. Signing Grandal or signing Kikuchi and flipping a back-end starter like Barria for an OK catcher would make a huge difference if the A's come back to earth and no one else takes a leap forward.

I understand projections, but I also think the A's were projected for low 70's wins in 2018 and they won 98. And the Rays were also in the 70's and they were at what 89?

The Angels need help in the rotation, and also definitely need a catcher, and hopefully it works out. They could be at 75 wins and they could be 105. And anywhere in between.

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I understand projections, but I also think the A's were projected for low 70's wins in 2018 and they won 98. And the Rays were also in the 70's and they were at what 89?

The Angels need help in the rotation, and also definitely need a catcher, and hopefully it works out. They could be at 75 wins and they could be 105. And anywhere in between.

I'm pretty sure the Angels won't win 105 games. As things stand now, their range of "within reason" wins is something like 75-90. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm pretty sure the Angels won't win 105 games. As things stand now, their range of "within reason" wins is something like 75-90. 

Most would expect them to finish with 85 wins. But as we've seen in recent years, the difference between 85 and 90 wins is pretty minuscule throughout the year. As is the difference between 80 and 85 wins. 

Mostly, the Angels just need to fill out the remainder of their roster. stay healthy and catch a couple breaks and they'll win 90+ games. 

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

not convinced Gray is any better than Cahill at this point.  Gray is slated to make about the same.  Why give up prospects to get similar production?

Yup. If we’re expending any prospect currency at this point, I’d imagine it’s going to be for a legit frontline arm or a catcher. 

And even then, Eppler would likely lean towards Keuchel or Grandal first. 

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yup. If we’re expending any prospect currency at this point, I’d imagine it’s going to be for a legit frontline arm or a catcher. 

And even then, Eppler would likely lean towards Keuchel or Grandal first. 

there is zero chance of us obtaining a frontline anything via trade.  

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

there is zero chance of us obtaining a frontline anything via trade.  

I wouldn't put it at zero, but agree that it's extremely unlikely. 
Point was more about how I can't see Eppler trading prospects away for Sonny Gray, whom I imagine will still cost at least one legit prospect. If he's dipping into that pool, he may as well look at someone higher up the food chain, or turn towards Keuchel. 

Provided we land at least one of a good catcher, relief help, or a bargain infielder, I'm pretty content rolling into '19 with Skaggs, Heaney, Harvey, Cahill, and a mix of Barria, Suarez, Canning, Pena for the #5. Wouldn't mind taking a flier on a #5 ST invite still too.

17 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

There’s still a bunch of free agent pitchers out there. I can’t see any way they all get ML deals 

Yup - specifically, Jaime Garcia might be one to watch if the market stays slow. He had a down year in '18, but still offers up a lot of the groundball/strikeout/swinging strike tendencies that Cahill possesses.

Martin Perez might be worth taking a flier on too.