• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How it all went wrong in 2018 and why there is hope for 2019

Docwaukee

32 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I don't think 90 wins is a reach at all. It will take slightly more luck than they've had the past few years, but it's the Angels turn to finally experience some good fortune.

I'm just not convinced 90 wins is enough to get into the playoffs. The Rays look darn good, and now they'll roll out Snell, Glasnow and Morton as a potentially dominant top 3. And their "opener" tactic worked brilliantly, especially with that Yarbrough kid tossing 4 solid innings at a time. They were more lucky than anything last year, but with the amount of young talent they have, 90 wins could actually be legitimate in 2019 for Tampa Bay. 

The A's won 97 games last year. Granted it was an extraordinary amount of luck, by talent they're likely an 80-85 win team. But with Manaea, Montes and Fiers, they have something to build around. The A's offense doesn't need ace level production, they can win with a collection of 4.00 ERA starters that go 150 innings each. And they have a couple of dynamic prospects in Puk and Luzardo that could break in. The A's should win 90 games in 2019. 

The Twins won 78 games last year, but that was without anything from Buxton or Sano. If those two play up to their ability the Twins could be an 85 win team, especially is Berrios pitches like he can. If they make a mid season addition or two, yeah, 90 wins is within the realm of possibility.

The Rays pitching is tough and they've got more on the way.  Their lineup is kinda meh though and they don't have the money to improve much.  

Just the opposite for the A's.  

Twins I just don't see being a factor.  

I think the Rays have a shot to finish with a similar record to boston.  I think the red sox pitching is going to fall apart in 2019.  Starters and pen. 

Basically, half the AL is a non-factor in the Jays, O's, White Sox, Royals, Tigers, Rangers and Mariners.  

We're gonna have to be better against good teams next year.  There's no way around it.  

Btw, just for kicks I was looking at the Halo's schedule next year.  

We finish with 

3 at home vs CLE
3 at home vs. TBR
3 on the road vs. NYY
3 on the road vs. HOU
2 at home vs. OAK
4 at home vs. HOU

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The Rays pitching is tough and they've got more on the way.  Their lineup is kinda meh though and they don't have the money to improve much.  

Just the opposite for the A's.  

Twins I just don't see being a factor.  

I think the Rays have a shot to finish with a similar record to boston.  I think the red sox pitching is going to fall apart in 2019.  Starters and pen. 

Basically, half the AL is a non-factor in the Jays, O's, White Sox, Royals, Tigers, Rangers and Mariners.  

We're gonna have to be better against good teams next year.  There's no way around it.  

Btw, just for kicks I was looking at the Halo's schedule next year.  

We finish with 

3 at home vs CLE
3 at home vs. TBR
3 on the road vs. NYY
3 on the road vs. HOU
2 at home vs. OAK
4 at home vs. HOU

That is not good.

TBR had a decent OBP lineup in 2018, but no longer have Wilson Ramos or Mallex Smith.

They would be smart to ride their pitching staff for a  couple of years, and continue to contend for a post-season WC spot.   But if they begin to fall off some by 2020, let the selling begin.  Snell is under club control through 2022.

15 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

TBR had a decent OBP lineup in 2018, but no longer have Wilson Ramos or Mallex Smith.

They would be smart to ride their pitching staff for a  couple of years, and continue to contend for a post-season WC spot.   But if they begin to fall off some by 2020, let the selling begin.  Snell is under club control through 2022.

Yeah it's going to be interesting too what they make of that lineup. Getting Zunino could end up being huge. I'm looking forward to seeing Ji-Man Choi with a full time spot. I always felt he was capable of out-producing CJ Cron and now he's literally replacing him. I thought Bauer was overrated and Yandy Diaz was underrated, another brilliant move. I still think with injuries and whatever else, they'd be better off with one or two more actual starting pitchers, but if Brent Honeywell returns, they could be looking very good. 

Boston and New York are the blue bloods, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that Tamoa Bay beats them both next year. I think the Red Sox pitching staff is aging, and Dombrowski traded their prospects away for the current team. Not only are they about to get significantly more expensive, they'll also need to be supplemented in FA. And the Yankees upper farm is empty, and soon, they're going to need to spend some serious money just to keep their team assembled, which will make any resetting of luxury tax penalties a distant memory. They'll need to spend on Tanaka, Paxton, Severino, Stanton and Judge, as well as the free agents they'll need to supplement the team with a weaker than normal farm. 

I'm not seeing a 2019 collapse as much as I'm seeing two teams that in 2021 and beyond will need to decide whether to rebuild, or maintain a payroll up near 250 million.

So an injury prone rotation of Skaggs, Heaney, Harvey, Cahill, Barria is going to turn our fortunes around?

you guys are doing it again. Falling into the trap of a bunch of injury prone guys taking the mound and then wondering why we end up with half of them on the DL. For the 3rd year in a row. If Skaggs throws 100 innings or fewer this season I just don’t consider that bad luck like some here do. Just like it wasn’t bad luck when GR blew out his arm last season. It was expected due to the extensive injury history. Maybe you get something out of Canning/Suarez when he goes down, maybe you don’t 

we need more depth and quality just to have a shot. The bullpen is pretty good, I’ll admit. If they had a legit proven closer it would be “great”.

the offense hinges on how what Kole Calhoun we get, and if Ausmus plays Pujols every day or not. Cozart, Fletcher, catcher position, Pujols...those guys are suspect. I’m still stunned we haven’t gotten a catcher yet. I thought that would be first.

5 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

So an injury prone rotation of Skaggs, Heaney, Harvey, Cahill, Barria is going to turn our fortunes around?

you guys are doing it again. Falling into the trap of a bunch of injury prone guys taking the mound and then wondering why we end up with half of them on the DL

who would you suggest we acquire?

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

who would you suggest we acquire?

I am not the GM and don’t pretend to be smarter than the people running the team. I have no interest in discussing decision making in this thread. My “negative” posts are strictly in response to people who expect things to go better than last year with regards to the rotation. They actually got a lot more innings out of Skaggs, Heaney, Barria last year than I thought they would. 

i don’t see the improvement yet at all. There is absolutely still time to convince me

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

I am not the GM and don’t pretend to be smarter than the people running the team. I have no interest in discussing decision making in this thread. My “negative” posts are strictly in response to people who expect things to go better than last year with regards to the rotation.

if you're not the GM, how would you have a clue about whether they will or won't?  

5 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

And the Same applies to you

I offer an opinion either way.  You claim that what we've done isn't enough yet you won't comment on what we should have done.  

19 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

we need more depth and quality just to have a shot

if you're not pretending to be smarter than the people running the team, how do you know this to be true?