• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Trade Rumors: Yankees 3B Miguel Andujar on Trade Block

58 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Truthfully, I'd love to move Cozart's salary, but I wouldn't play Andujar at 3B, and so long as AP is around he can't be moved over to 1B.   I also don't know what to make of Andujar's spike at the MLB level, and I haven't watched him enough to form an intelligent opinion if it's a fluke or not.  But I have seen enough of him defensively to know he's Russ Davis level putrid.  

Maybe more importantly... I wouldn't include Skaggs to get Andujar even if it meant getting Gray.   I don't believe it's prudent to trade an extra year of control for a marginally better SP.   I'm a Skaggs homer, I think he's a little underrated by the AW.com crowd but I get the frustration with his frequent flyer DL flights.  Still, he likely has the best stuff on the staff barring a return to form by Harvey..  I'd sooner try to find a way to work a Gray for Cozart deal tbh.... My guess is if that had been possible it might have already happened. 

FWIW, a lot of people here fixate on the teams unwillingness to spend as the problem...  I don't bitch about it because it's been done to death, but for me the bigger issue is them still trying to find a way to play AP.  Would I trade for Andujar and see if he could play 1B, absolutely...  He 's cheap enough so that he could make absorbing the AP $$ easier while still outproducing him.... It's not even a case of me believing his bat is that good, it's more a case of AP being that bad..  But they won't cut bait and he would be another I'll fitting piece at 3B....  So ... Moot point.

This is my main gripe with the Angels organization. I don't have a problem at all with them being patient with their prospects and saving their money for when they think is best. But Pujols situation is sickening. He doesn't deserve to play much at all, yet the Angels organization still treat him like a royalty, prized middle of the line up hitter, when the numbers have shown he's been nothing short of putrid the past two years. I do have a problem with them playing negative WAR players at first base for two years running, especially when said player is 38-39 years old and can't even run to first base. Embarrassing on the Angels part.

28 minutes ago, ettin said:

By the way I still don't understand this board's infatuation with moving Tyler Skaggs. He is an excellent pitcher and I don't think we've seen his full potential yet.

It reminds me of all the cries to get rid of Jose Alvarez because he had one bad season early on. After that he was lights out, particularly against lefty hitters.

This board has a tendency (even myself once in a while) to take a snapshot in time of a player and carry that forward no matter how much they may improve.

Glad to see other people saying this.... 

1 hour ago, ettin said:

By the way I still don't understand this board's infatuation with moving Tyler Skaggs. He is an excellent pitcher and I don't think we've seen his full potential yet.

It reminds me of all the cries to get rid of Jose Alvarez because he had one bad season early on. After that he was lights out, particularly against lefty hitters.

This board has a tendency (even myself once in a while) to take a snapshot in time of a player and carry that forward no matter how much they may improve.

My issue watching quite a few of Tyler Skaggs starts last year and previous seasons in person and on tv in games he actually pitches like he's a Doctor Jeckle/Mr. Hyde. 16 starts in the first half to 8 in the second half of 2018.

During the second half he was hurt and or ineffective yet again as his Curve ball (.320 AVG Against) became flat and so did his sinker (.478 AVG Against) and he became a 2 pitch pitcher with his Four Seam Fastball and change up which he still only threw a hair above 18% of the time which was a 4.4% increase in useage from other months. His Four seam which gets quite a few swing and misses is still only AVG VELO still got hit at a  (.354 AVG Against).

My personal opinion of Tyler Skaggs.

Is he a good pitcher? When healthy he is one of our best. It's the time when he is either not healthy or injured that in my mind says. Walk away, just because the possibility of a very good starting pitcher is there. He has never completed a full season to show the confidence that he will ever be 100% healthy across an entire 162 game season. Last year was his highest amount of Starts and he was only basically healthy and effective in 16 of those or the first half of the season.

I would keep him around while he is Club Controlled. But, I would NEVER count on him turning the corner until maybe in his 30's and turn out like maybe a Jaime Moyer or a Rich Hill type who finds success and 30+ starts after he turns 30 years old.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

He's been in the majors for 7 years now back and forth.  He's entering his age 27 season.  He threw 116ip in 2014, was out in 2015, threw 90 ip in 2016, 98 ip in 2017, and 125 ip in 2018.  

His era with the halos is 4.35 with an FIP of 3.86.  I'm a patient guy, but at some point I need to see results.  Where's the snapshot?  I'm seeing a pretty consistent body of work on him actually.  

I wouldn't trade him if someone offered present value.  If someone was dreaming on his potential and paid for it, I'd have no problem moving him.  Get the 'he's gonna break out' bounty and let someone else hope for the best for the merely two years of control he's got left.   If he's killing it to the break but we're out of it, and someone wanted to pay top dollar at the deadline, I would consider moving him still.  But the return would have to be really good.  

19 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

My issue watching quite a few of Tyler Skaggs starts last year and previous seasons in person and on tv in games he actually pitches like he's a Doctor Jeckle/Mr. Hyde. 16 starts in the first half to 8 in the second half of 2018.

During the second half he was hurt and or ineffective yet again as his Curve ball (.320 AVG Against) became flat and so did his sinker (.478 AVG Against) and he became a 2 pitch pitcher with his Four Seam Fastball and change up which he still only threw a hair above 18% of the time which was a 4.4% increase in useage from other months. His Four seam which gets quite a few swing and misses is still only AVG VELO still got hit at a  (.354 AVG Against).

My personal opinion of Tyler Skaggs.

Is he a good pitcher? When healthy he is one of our best. It's the time when he is either not healthy or injured that in my mind says. Walk away, just because the possibility of a very good starting pitcher is there. He has never completed a full season to show the confidence that he will ever be 100% healthy across an entire 162 game season. Last year was his highest amount of Starts and he was only basically healthy and effective in 16 of those or the first half of the season.

I would keep him around while he is Club Controlled. But, I would NEVER count on him turning the corner until maybe in his 30's and turn out like maybe a Jaime Moyer or a Rich Hill type who finds success and 30+ starts after he turns 30 years old.

I guess my statement also arose from other posts stating "sign Yusei and trade Tyler". I know you made your statement that he hasn't shown as much as we would like to-date Doc but I also think he has more to show still. No one really has a good bead on Yusei other than what has been posted by baseball authors indicating he is a mid-rotation type. Skaggs' will be cheaper than Yusei and probably has greater upside too in 2019. Feels like we are cutting off our nose to spite our face a bit.

Personally it makes more sense from a payroll perspective too to keep Tyler one more season and see what we get out of him. Next year would be his last season of arbitration control and we can make more informed decisions then even if he tanks and loses some value.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

I guess my statement also arose from other posts stating "sign Yusei and trade Tyler". I know you made your statement that he hasn't shown as much as we would like to-date Doc but I also think he has more to show still. No one really has a good bead on Yusei other than what has been posted by baseball authors indicating he is a mid-rotation type. Skaggs' will be cheaper than Yusei and probably has greater upside too in 2019. Feels like we are cutting off our nose to spite our face a bit.

Personally it makes more sense from a payroll perspective too to keep Tyler one more season and see what we get out of him. Next year would be his last season of arbitration control and we can make more informed decisions then even if he tanks and loses some value.

Which kind of makes me feel they did the same thing with GRICH and he tore his UCL again. = Gonzo~