• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mark Gubicza on MLB Network

Chuck

Casey Stern (of mlb network radio) has really gone off on the Angels lately.  I can't stand the guy.  I can't stand it when people speak with some authority when in reality - they're just giving predictable opinions without any real clue or insight into what the Angels are actually doing.  I'm tired of radio hosts acting like the Angels don't know what they're doing and losing Trout is a sure thing. So many of them are so sure the Angels aren't going to compete or make the post season and they'll lose Trout.  I'm tired of the narrative.  Sick of it, really.

I suggested to him via twitter that he just have @Jeff Fletcher on his show...

10 years of failure will put a stink narrative on you.  People don’t care about the positives that are going on in the back ground.  The farm, getting all these progressive hitting gurus and analytics guys.  The Angels have changed a lot under Eppler and almost all very positive.  But until the Angels start pushing for and into the playoffs nobody gives a shit about that stuff.  Shit heads like Casey Stern are just going to run with their negative narrative. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

On 12/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, Erstad Grit said:

To be fair,  as a fan like all of you, I find these moves uninteresting.  More injury risk SP who we hope perform at a number 3 type SP. I'll be there all season but not sure why these additions would fill a fan up with hope.  

They are underwhelming moves no doubt.  Imo they sort of fall under the high floor type of stuff... But when you lose out on the top shelf guys, high floor isn't a bad choice.  Being able to walk away from it in a year is nice, too. 

Allow yourself to dream a little.... Pretend the Angels got lucky and Tulo decided a chance to play 3b everyday on the west coast is to his liking.  Cozart moves to 2B, just plays to his averages and the defense comes back.   You've got Bour mitigating the AP mess, Fletcher backs up the IF...  They find a serviceable catcher and the rest of the offense plays to its career norms or just short of that (excluding AP)....   Add Kikuchi or load up on RPs....   Still not a sexy team when compared to the Astros but one that could keep things interesting....

If the farm does what people hope that's a team that could surprise.

Edited by Inside Pitch

36 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there is 'they have to trade Trout' rhetoric on pretty much every mlb radio show I listen to these days.  

even though, it never works out for the Team trading the Superstar. Did The Red Sox selling Ruth work out? How about the Rangers trading A-Rod? Marlins trading Cabrera?

Trading Trout doesn't help them one bit. Just as the Red Sox , Rangers, and Marlins got nothing of value in return.

The only times that it worked out for the team trading the star was Texieria to the Braves, and then that's mostly because of Elvis Andrus.

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Can’t we just not do Tulowitzki?  Even with Canning and Suarez the Angels still would have been setting themselves up to not get enough innings.  They need the pitchers.  They don’t need Tulowitzki.  Just let Ward and Cozart have the AB’s. 

Right, but remember he literally costs the same as Ward. There is not a cost to him, they can still add more pitching or catching help or both.

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Right, but remember he literally costs the same as Ward. There is not a cost to him, they can still add more pitching or catching help or both.

There’s only so many roster spots and so many ab’s.  If they want to bring him in and cut him if he sucks.  Fine I guess.  But why bother ? He almost certainly has nothing left.  The young players who should be playing are the ones who will be impacted. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

There’s only so many roster spots and so many ab’s.  If they want to bring him in and cut him if he sucks.  Fine I guess.  But why bother ? He almost certainly has nothing left. 

We don't know that.

He never hit well in Toronto. He was injured a lot, the turf wasn't kind to him.

He could put up numbers like he did in 2016 (.761 OPS) or even 2015 in Colorado (.818 OPS)

Of course, we all would love 2014 Tulo (.340 AVG, 1.035 OPS).

Do I think Ward can put up good numbers as the semi-regular 3rd baseman, yes, but I'm an optimist.

Do I think they should look at signing Tulo for 2nd or 3rd? Yes. Because I'm an Optimist.

39 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Can’t we just not do Tulowitzki?  Even with Canning and Suarez the Angels still would have been setting themselves up to not get enough innings.  They need the pitchers.  They don’t need Tulowitzki.  Just let Ward and Cozart have the AB’s. 

The only reason Tulo is in the conversation is because he would get paid the minimum-ish...

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

Casey Stern (of mlb network radio) has really gone off on the Angels lately.  I can't stand the guy.  I can't stand it when people speak with some authority when in reality - they're just giving predictable opinions without any real clue or insight into what the Angels are actually doing.  I'm tired of radio hosts acting like the Angels don't know what they're doing and losing Trout is a sure thing. So many of them are so sure the Angels aren't going to compete or make the post season and they'll lose Trout.  I'm tired of the narrative.  Sick of it, really.

Another example of idiot people with a public voice I saw while watching Intentional Talk the past two days was Chris Rose torching the Angels for their lack of big moves and lack of motivation to ‘Win Now’ with Trout, all he kept saying was Trout loves it back east and these minor moves the Angels were making, werent going to do a good enough job to convince Trout to stay. Also called the Angels “extremely boring”. Which I think is questionable when you have the Best Defender in the game, the most interesting player in the game and the overall best player in the game. Shows how little people know about what the Angels long term plan is. 

Per Jeff's post of Angels having 12-13 mill to spend

Looking at the C's left(Guys who played near 75 plus games)

Age        Name        2018  Stats

32- Matt Wieters    76 games 8hrs 30 rbs .238 avg  .330 obp  

30- Yasmani Grandal  141 games .241 avg 24 hrs 68 rbis .349  obp

30-Devin Mesoraco 85 games .221avg 11 hrs 33rbis .303 obp

32- Johnathan Lucroy 126 games .241 avg 4 hrs 51 rbis .291 obp

32- Martin Maldonado 119 games .225 avg 9 hrs 44rbis .276 obp

34- Stephen Vogt 99 games .229 avg 12 hrs 40 rbis .281 obp

35- Nick Hundley 96 games .241avg 10 hrs 31 rbis .298 obp

Looking at the RP's left (Who pitched near 40 plus innings)

Age      Name    2018  stats

30   Zach   Britton  40 ip  3.10 era 1.23 whip

33 David Robertson 69.2 ip   3.23 era 1.03 whip

30 Cody Allen 67 ip 4.70 era  1.35 whip

30 Craig Kimbrel 62.1 ip 2.74 era  0.99 whip

34 Joakim Soria 60.2 ip  3.12 era 1.13 whip

28 Kelvin Herrera 44.1 ip  2.44 era  1.19 whip

35 Tony Sipp 38.2 ip 1.86 era 1.03 whip

32 David Phelps 55 ip 3.40 era 1.38 whip

31 Daniel Hudson 46 ip 4.11 era 1.21 whip

32 Brad Brach 62.2 ip 3.59 era 1.59 whip

34 Shawn Kelley  49 ip 2.94 era 0.89 whip

35 Jim Johnson 63.1 ip 3.84 era  1.35 whip

31 Justin Wilson 54.2 ip 3.46 era 1.42 whip

33 Adam Ottavino 77.2 ip 2.43 era  0.99 whip

33 Bud Norris 57.2 ip 3.59 era  1.24 whip

31 Jake Diekman 53.1 ip 4.73 era  1.5 whip

35 Sergio Romo 67.1 ip 4.14 era 1.26 whip

29 Luis Avilian 45.1 ip 3.77 era 1.36 whip

32 Alex Wilson 61.2 ip 3.36 era  1.05 whip

30 Hunter Strickland 45.1 ip 3.97 era 1.41 whip

33 Tyler Clippard 68.2 ip 3.67 era 1.16 whip

31 Dan Jennings 64.1 ip 3.22 era 1.38 whip

33 Greg Holland 46.1 ip 4.66 era  1.61 whip

35 Jose Torres 68.1 ip 4.22 era 1.15 whip

Alot of options for RP with that much money to spend they should be able to get a 90 plus game catcher plus 1-2 relievers 

3 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

To be fair,  as a fan like all of you, I find these moves uninteresting.  More injury risk SP who we hope perform at a number 3 type SP. I'll be there all season but not sure why these additions would fill a fan up with hope.  

I understand what you're saying, but which #1-2 pitcher(s) who aren't injury risks would you have been happy acquiring?

39 minutes ago, Lou said:

I understand what you're saying, but which #1-2 pitcher(s) who aren't injury risks would you have been happy acquiring?

I mean the only real top of the rotation arm that was available was Corbin, and he was going to cost $150 million.  I realized he signed for $140 million, but he wanted to be back east.  I am assuming if they offered $140 million, it would have taken a bit more to possibly lure him to stay out west.  

5 hours ago, True Grich said:

I'm sorry, but Casey Stern is an intelligent guy. He's one of the most objective personalities they have. And he is a good radio guy, who communicates well.

There are many people on MLB radio who dont think the Angels are going hard enough for good players. Emmolo and Stanton sure dont. Their take is that we are not that far from competing for a playoff spot but all we do is sign retreads. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay and Houston are way above us and the Yankees are still about 15-20 wins better than us.Never mind Boston. And Cleveland could win their division with 85 wins. So they are in.

It's obvious. We're treading water in 2019. Don't blame the MLB guys for recognizing it, and saying it.

Pitchers in free agency are always a huge risk.  I am glad Eppler is staying away from the big contracts.

You have to develop pitchers to be successful.  Angels traded them away for a decade, it caught up.  Things are starting to look up though.  Also the reason not to dump a bunch of talent into Realmuto.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

It's hard not knowing what is factual,  but I read diamondbacks would hand greinke over if a team would not ask them to eat any of the contact.  Greinke and ray are legit attainable 1 and 2 starters.  

8 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

It's hard not knowing what is factual,  but I read diamondbacks would hand greinke over if a team would not ask them to eat any of the contact.  Greinke and ray are legit attainable 1 and 2 starters.  

But if my math is correct once you include the differed money it looks like he will be owed $125 million for 3 years worth of Grienke and he is 35ish.  

22 minutes ago, nate said:

Pitchers in free agency are always a huge risk.  I am glad Eppler is staying away from the big contracts.

You have to develop pitchers to be successful.  Angels traded them away for a decade, it caught up.  Things are starting to look up though.  Also the reason not to dump a bunch of talent into Realmuto.

You mean like the Red Sox did with Sale and Porcello and Eovaldi? And the Astros did with Verlander and Cole and McCullers? And the Cubs did with Lester and Lackey and Chapman and Arrieta? Or the Royals with Cueto and Wade Davis and Volquez?

Sorry, but the recent history of successful playoff teams is that the important  pitchers they acquired were from elsewhere. 

Have we acquired anyone of importance?

Well funny you should mention Cueto, he was pretty damn bad the year they won it all.  His ERA for the Royals that year was north of 4.70 which is worse than Cahill last year by a full run.  Also Nate is talking about free agency being risky as it relates to pitchers.  Of all the guys you mentioned:

Sale- trade

Porcello- trade

Eovaldi- trade

Verlander- trade

Cole- trade

Lance McCullers- never traded, never a free agent

Lester- trade

Lackey- Free Agent

Chapman- trade

Cueto -trade

Wade Davis- trade

Volquez- free agent

So Nate was trying to talk about the risk of pitching in free agency, you decided to bring up how effective it was for a handful of teams and mentioned 12 pitchers, only TWO of which were free agents.  You could have quoted @nate and agreed with him.   

45 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

do you have any idea how much he is owed?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Well funny you should mention Cueto, he was pretty damn bad the year they won it all.  His ERA for the Royals that year was north of 4.70 which is worse than Cahill last year by a full run.  Also Nate is talking about free agency being risky as it relates to pitchers.  Of all the guys you mentioned:

Sale- trade

Porcello- trade

Eovaldi- trade

Verlander- trade

Cole- trade

Lance McCullers- never traded, never a free agent

Lester- trade

Lackey- Free Agent

Chapman- trade

Cueto -trade

Wade Davis- trade

Volquez- free agent

So Nate was trying to talk about the risk of pitching in free agency, you decided to bring up how effective it was for a handful of teams and mentioned 12 pitchers, only TWO of which were free agents.  You could have quoted @nate and agreed with him.   

Some people are in such a rush to be wise-asses they don't bother to check if their argument has any legs.  Wonk has cornered the market on such statements.   God Bless.