• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Just Curious?

I am curious if any of you guys can name any impact FA in the last ten years (I believed we signed Vladdy ten years ago, so since the Guerrero signing) that has not backfired.  

1.  Soriana to the Cubs was a disaster

2,  Teixera maybe....he was good for a couple of years and won a WS but his contract is a disaster now.

3.  Crawford was a disaster

4.  We know about Pujols and Hamilton.

5.  I am thinking Torii Hunter, but was he really among the top Free Agents his year out?  I don't remember.

I am not talking about just Angel signees, I am talking about for all franchises.

Adrian Beltre seems to be working out well. Also it looks like Prince Fielder is going to give the Tigers at least a few good years of production on the front end (like angels were hoping to get out of Pujols).

He's doing his job of providing protection and making it difficult to pitch around Cabrera. Meanwhile the Angels lefty bat is actually encouraging more teams to pitch around Pujols/Trumbo.

There are still plenty of big name free agents that have worked out well.

Adrian Beltre and Prince Fielder comes to mind.

One of the downfall of the end of the PED era was that many of these high priced free agent hitters became a complete gamble since it's hard to tell who was juicing and who wasn't and then who quit using after they get their big payday.

Adrian Beltre seems to be working out well. Also it looks like Prince Fielder is going to give the Tigers at least a few good years of production on the front end (like angels were hoping to get out of Pujols).

He's doing his job of providing protection and making it difficult to pitch around Cabrera. Meanwhile the Angels lefty bat is actually encouraging more teams to pitch around Pujols/Trumbo.

Why would anyone pitch around Pujols at his current state?

Why would anyone pitch around Pujols at his current state?

I was referring to that game in Texas where he was walked multiple times to get to Hamilton . More recently Trumbo is batting in front of Hamilton and Pujols injury and overall play seems worse.

Part of the problem is missing on most of the decisions.

Not signing Beltre or Fielder, but instead signing Pujols and Hamilton, along with GMJHGH 6 years ago.

Hunter being signed to come here and the Teixeira trade were two of the very few decisions paying dividends in the long run since Reagins assumed the GM position just over 5 years ago.  

That plus foreign scouting absence = farm system being a far bigger mess than it should be under any circumstances.

Yep Yu Darvish is a fantastic pitcher. My nephew works as a trainer for Texas and Yu Darvish showed up with 9 different pitches at his first spring training. They had to figure out which pitches to eliminate. That's why there was an adjustment period for him. Super talented pitcher.

As a Cubs fan who was lurking and saw this I feel compelled to say that while I dont think he has been a savior by any means I wouldn't call the Soriano signing a complete disaster.  I'd call it bad, but not a complete disater.  He is woefully overpaid, sure.  But he has consistently been one of the better hitters on the team in his time as a Cub, and now provides a veteran presence that is mostly lacking in our clubhouse.  He played on some good Cubs teams as well.  And, frankly, he has stayed relatively healthy and has played nearly every day, which is more than you can say for a lot of guys.  Plus, most media outlets report that he is a hard worker and puts in his time when there are a lot of reasons why he shouldn't bother giving that extra effort.  Is he worth 17 mil a year for 8 years?  He-l-l no.  But it certainly could have been worse.  .265/.319/.494 in 7 years in Chicago averaging over 27 home runs and 550 plate appearances a season.  He certainly hasn't been a BAD player.  Not an eight figure superstar, but we certainly have other players to complain about first before we complain about Sori.  Hopefully he can get his stats up in June and July like he usually does and we'll be able to deal him and get a nice parting gift of a prospect in return.

Yep Yu Darvish is a fantastic pitcher. My nephew works as a trainer for Texas and Yu Darvish showed up with 9 different pitches at his first spring training. They had to figure out which pitches to eliminate. That's why there was an adjustment period for him. Super talented pitcher.

I don't know if I count Darvish the same was as a normal FA signing. He's awesome, but the japanese players are a little different.

I'd agree that Beltre and Fielder are the two in recent memory who have turned out great, among mostly terrible busts. I can, obviously, speak to the Beltre deal in more detail than most of the others, but he's been a steal for us. I don't know if it's obvious to opposing teams, but that guy is a badass all the way around. He's the team leader and he's funny.

When he was with other teams I always thought he was like a headcase with a bad attitude because of the way the freaks out when people touch his head and his low-cocked cap that hides his eyes. ...but when you see him every day you see that the head touching thing is HILARIOUS. He has some kind of psychological tick obviously that makes it really agitate him when people touch his head, so everyone does it on purpose and he smacks the hell out of them. They all start laughing at the same time though. Elvis says if you want to get spanked really hard try to touch his head. It really makes us see how lucky we were with Beltre when we see so many of these horrible FA signings.

Totally agree, granted at age 31 when signing with Tejas.    But at least it wasn't for any more than Hamilton's length of contract.    Beltre is a complete 3B (offense and defense). 

Because Cowart is likely not ready until 2015 anyway, Beltre would have been great to have through then. 

Darvish wouldn't count.  Neither would Cespedo.  

Beltre is the one FA that clearly was a bargain.  However, as those mentioned, it was hotly debated if we should even go after him.  

So do we only have three big time FA signees that have panned out for their team?

I'd say it's too early to call the Fielder signing a success, much in the same way I would consider it too earlt to call the Pujols signing a failure. With these long 9 and 10 year contracts you have to give them a few years before you really know.

I'd say it's too early to call the Fielder signing a success, much in the same way I would consider it too earlt to call the Pujols signing a failure. With these long 9 and 10 year contracts you have to give them a few years before you really know.

We can assume, given how its gone and that he'll continue to age poorly, that it was probably not a smart move. All we can do is hope that he somewhat performs and leaves whence no longer can on his own terms.

All in all, looking at his stats, A-Rod did pretty well for the Yanks. He's had about 7 or 8 good years.

Arod did well early after the trade with texas. However he opted out in 20087I believe and and he resigned it has been a disaster...outside of the 2009 tutle