• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Remaining Starting Pitchers Available

VariousCrap

It wasn't that non ace FA pitcher over the age of 30 on deals of 4 years or more tend not to work out, it's that they never work out.  ever.  

the best bets of FA starters signed over the last 13 years were the 1st contract of guys coming from Asia - Tanaka, Darvish, Riu.  Although several others didn't do well.  Really on the premier guys.  Is Kikuchi a premier guy?  Probably.  

If you get him for 5/60 he ends up in the pen then you haven't done well but it's not egregious if he ends up a high leverage reliever.  

Even at 4/80, getting Keuchel would be tough for me to swallow.  Are there 33/34 yo pitchers that perform well?  Yes.  We were clearly ok with the risk associated with Happ.  But age 31 and 32 is no guarantee either.   

He'd probably be 180ip and a 4.00 for a couple years.  That's two Felix Penas.  What's smarter?  Taking the risk that Pena will give you 150ip with an era of 4 for 'baseball free' and then getting someone else to pitch those additional 30 innings for 'baseball free', or committing 80 mil to Keuchel with less risk of getting those numbers in the first couple years but then having him get you terrible production for the second half of that contract?  tough call.  

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

If we can sign any 2-3 of the following I would be pretty happy, starting with: Yusei Kikuchi followed by Anibal Sanchez, Matt Harvey and possibly Shelby Miller.

An improved lineup (assuming we add Grandal in addition to Bour), to a rotation of Yusei Kikuchi, Andrew Heaney, Matt Harvey/Anibal Sanchez, Jaime Barria, Tyler Skaggs and have Shelby Miller as either a 5th or 6th starter/swingman, or moved to the BP to preserve his arm and add some length to the BP, I'd be really pleased. 

I just hope Ausmus lets Rengifo battle it out with Fletcher and Cozart for 2B, while Ward and Cozart battle for the 3B as well. 

Maybe Calhoun will have a better season knowing that a large payday is in his future with a good 2018 campaign heading into FA the following year. 

If we somehow ended up with this lineup and rotation, I would be super pleased. 

2B Rengifo (speed, contact and walks atop the lineup)

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

LF Upton

1B Bour/Pujols

C Grandal 

SS Simmons

3B Cozart/Ward

SP: Kikuchi, Heaney, Harvey or Sanchez, Skaggs, Barria 

Good start.

I’d actually be pretty happy with one of these combos playing out now:

1) Grandal, a solid RP, and a cheap #5 

2) Keuchel, a solid RP, and cheap C (Lucroy, Maldy)

3) Kikuchi, a solid RP/2 cheap RP, and a solid C like Cervelli or Avila 

14 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

Going off of the list of the remaining starters, I like Bucholz on a one or two year deal, and Kukuchi.  Bucholz always seemed to pitch well in our park, and we get Kukuchi without having to surrender any assets.  

Maybe then we could take a shot at Realmuto, with Barria and Suarez as part of the deal.

How soon is Realmuto a FA?

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

And hence, why it will take a big haul to acquire him.    Better to simply give up a 2nd rounder and sign Grandal?

I’m warming to the idea of Grandal. Concerned about his contract demands still, but Ramos going for 2/$19m instead of a projected 3/$36m give me some hope - plus we’ve seen QO’s decimate a player’s value in FA. Hopefully his agent realizes this and they strike early in the offseason for something reasonable - maybe even 3/$36m.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:12 AM, hangin n wangin said:

That's a pretty fugly list. 

Besides the obvious one, Kikuchi, the few on that list that I think could do well over here are Pomeranz, Harvey, and Cahill.

I'm also assuming Gio and Keuchel will be too expensive and I don't want to overpay for those soft tossing declining lefties.

But nothing is certain with that list. Bunch of trash.

Now just sign Pomeranz and I'll have a raging boner.