• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Remaining Starting Pitchers Available

VariousCrap

If we can sign any 2-3 of the following I would be pretty happy, starting with: Yusei Kikuchi followed by Anibal Sanchez, Matt Harvey and possibly Shelby Miller.

An improved lineup (assuming we add Grandal in addition to Bour), to a rotation of Yusei Kikuchi, Andrew Heaney, Matt Harvey/Anibal Sanchez, Jaime Barria, Tyler Skaggs and have Shelby Miller as either a 5th or 6th starter/swingman, or moved to the BP to preserve his arm and add some length to the BP, I'd be really pleased. 

I just hope Ausmus lets Rengifo battle it out with Fletcher and Cozart for 2B, while Ward and Cozart battle for the 3B as well. 

Maybe Calhoun will have a better season knowing that a large payday is in his future with a good 2018 campaign heading into FA the following year. 

If we somehow ended up with this lineup and rotation, I would be super pleased. 

2B Rengifo (speed, contact and walks atop the lineup)

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

LF Upton

1B Bour/Pujols

C Grandal 

SS Simmons

3B Cozart/Ward

SP: Kikuchi, Heaney, Harvey or Sanchez, Skaggs, Barria 

Personally, unless his asking price/years goes way down, I don't sign Dallas.  I think it is was @Dochalo who posted a list of recent 30+ year old starters who got signed to big contracts and most of them ended up being a bad deal for the team in the long run.  This is why signing Kikuchi is a must for this team.  He is young and the contract will most likely be worth it when all is said and done.

Heaney
Skaggs
Kikuchi
Barria
?

There are some interesting buy low options on this list for that number five spot.  If the Angels get Kikuchi, I think the best number five option is Gio Gonzalez.  You need your number five guy to be a decent innings eater and that is exactly what he is.

I'd like to see Shoemaker come back, but I think the bullpen may be the best spot for him.

I think the Angels will go all in on Kikuchi.  He won't cost prospects and he's young.  It just makes too much sense.  Of course, he makes sense for lots of teams, but the Angels have a tremendous need.  The money saved by not going after some of these FA who are being over-paid will be better used here, IMO.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I think the Angels will go all in on Kikuchi.  He won't cost prospects and he's young.  It just makes too much sense.  Of course, he makes sense for lots of teams, but the Angels have a tremendous need.  The money saved by not going after some of these FA who are being over-paid will be better used here, IMO.

Agreed. I wonder if the Angels have gotten Ohtani involved in recruiting him?

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If we can sign any 2-3 of the following I would be pretty happy, starting with: Yusei Kikuchi followed by Anibal Sanchez, Matt Harvey and possibly Shelby Miller.

An improved lineup (assuming we add Grandal in addition to Bour), to a rotation of Yusei Kikuchi, Andrew Heaney, Matt Harvey/Anibal Sanchez, Jaime Barria, Tyler Skaggs and have Shelby Miller as either a 5th or 6th starter/swingman, or moved to the BP to preserve his arm and add some length to the BP, I'd be really pleased. 

I just hope Ausmus lets Rengifo battle it out with Fletcher and Cozart for 2B, while Ward and Cozart battle for the 3B as well. 

Maybe Calhoun will have a better season knowing that a large payday is in his future with a good 2018 campaign heading into FA the following year. 

If we somehow ended up with this lineup and rotation, I would be super pleased. 

2B Rengifo (speed, contact and walks atop the lineup)

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

LF Upton

1B Bour/Pujols

C Grandal 

SS Simmons

3B Cozart/Ward

SP: Kikuchi, Heaney, Harvey or Sanchez, Skaggs, Barria 

Overreaching on the SP acquistions....

I see us picking up one new SP...Hopefully it's Kikuchi....#5 will be in house option....Pena, Trop or Canning.

Also, I see us banking on the return on Middleton and Ramirez around the ASB to help bolster the pen.

16 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Image result for this gif

Let me add this regarding Keuchel...

If Eppler has faith in Ohtani, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, and Barria filling the rotation out cheaply for the foreseeable future, and is able to fill the teams other needs without having to trade them, or without having to spend too much money, I'd be alright with a 4/$80m for Keuchel. 

From what I can see, it looks like a tremendous risk and overpay, but Eppler is a better judge here a million times over. If the Angels like him enough to come to terms, than it wasn't done out of desperation.

2 hours ago, HaloNArizona said:

Any chance Canning breaks into the rotation next year?

Right now I see our SP as:

Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Pena (unitil Canning replaces him) and ?  Possibly Kikuchi

Before you all get on me about Pena...His ERA over the course of the season: 

June - 2.51

July 6.89

Aug 3.72

Sep 3.48

8.26 K/9

Needs to cut down on the walks....but he is a solid #4/#5 option for us, who could slide into the pen.

Tropeano likely in that mix if the decision had to be made today and as i recall JC Ramirez also due back mid season. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i'd absolutely do this, and would even be willing to go 4/100.

he may not be a world beater but he's better than any of the other starters currently on our roster and we are in need for a #1 guy.

Except that his ERA (around 4.00) and WHIP (around 1.30) recently (2016 and 2018) are not anywhere nears #1 quality.

Plus he missed something like 17 starts out of 66 total across 2016 and 2017.   Durability is a bit of a question mark.

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except that his ERA and WHIP recently are not anywhere nears #1 quality.

Yeah, this. 
If were going to overpay for a SP we probably should have already done it or the focus should be on Kikuchi.
Most of whats left are not #1s.  Get one for depth/innings like maybe Gio, put the rest onto offense if there is any rest. 

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

Personally, unless his asking price/years goes way down, I don't sign Dallas.  I think it is was @Dochalo who posted a list of recent 30+ year old starters who got signed to big contracts and most of them ended up being a bad deal for the team in the long run.  This is why signing Kikuchi is a must for this team.  He is young and the contract will most likely be worth it when all is said and done.

Heaney
Skaggs
Kikuchi
Barria
?

There are some interesting buy low options on this list for that number five spot.  If the Angels get Kikuchi, I think the best number five option is Gio Gonzalez.  You need your number five guy to be a decent innings eater and that is exactly what he is.

I'd like to see Shoemaker come back, but I think the bullpen may be the best spot for him.

Do the Halos really want 4 lefties and one righty for their rotation though, given that more MLB hitters bat RH than LH?

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Have any free agent starters signed anywhere out west?  The only one I can think of is Lance Lynn and that is assuming you consider 1500 miles from here out west.  

interesting point... Kinsler to Pads about it i think.  And no i dont count Texas in that personally. 

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Do the Halos really want 4 lefties and one righty for their rotation though, given that more MLB hitters bat RH than LH?

That is a fair point, though I'm not sure how much that really matters.  I'm sure there are right handed pitchers on that list that would work for the fifth man in the rotation.