• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Remaining Starting Pitchers Available

VariousCrap

28 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  Sorry, but I don't trust a single starting pitcher on the Angels roster right now.  Can one or more of them break out and finally live up to their hype/potential?  Of course.  Can we count on it/expect it?  Nope, not in my mind. 

One way or another, he's in the rotation next season. That data above wasn't meant to be too scientific or a real projection - just a general assessment of what we got last year and where we need improvement. 

To me, we need to bring in two of the three types of SP

• Legit #1-#2 production (~3.00 ERA, 180+ IP)
    Not many feasible options left.
  • Durable, reliable #3 production who has the ceiling of a #2 (3.50 ERA, 200 IP) or floor of a #4 (4.25 ERA, 180 IP) 
    Keuchel, Kikuchi?, Gio? Trades?
  • Cheap, durable, reliable #5 innings eater (4.50 ERA, 180 IP)
    Pretty much anyone above.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

At this point if you can get Keuchel for 4 years and $80 million you might just do it if you are the Angels.  

That'd be my max. 5 years or more than $20m isn't appealing at all. 

It'd be an overpay but it'd anchor the rotation somewhat. Not ideal.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That'd be my max. 5 years or more than $20m isn't appealing at all. 

It'd be an overpay but it'd anchor the rotation somewhat. Not ideal.

Not interested...Yuck. That's exactly how another bad contract situation happens and we end up paying a mid 30 year old 20+ million for throwing 86 MPH with a 5 ERA.

Then Pujols is in the front office and all of our hate goes to Keuchel.

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Or 5 years $90 million if he wants 5 years.  

I couldn't...5 years for 30-year old whose stuff is already hittable? I'd rather take my chances with a 3/$66-75m. If he wanted five years, I don't think I'd go over $15m AAV, and I'd kinda hate that too. I wouldn't want to give a NTC so I could try dumping him a year or two into it.

4/$80m would be my max and I'd be cringing the whole time. There'd have to be some other moves in the context of the offseason for me to feel okay with it, because in a vacuum, I hate that even.

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I couldn't...5 years for 30-year old whose stuff is already hittable? I'd rather take my chances with a 3/$66-75m. If he wanted five years, I don't think I'd go over $15m AAV, and I'd kinda hate that too. I wouldn't want to give a NTC so I could try dumping him a year or two into it.

4/$80m would be my max and I'd be cringing the whole time. There'd have to be some other moves in the context of the offseason for me to feel okay with it, because in a vacuum, I hate that even.

Well you very well could be right.  He is 30 years old, if you give him 5 years he is still younger at the end of the contract than JA Happ who just got a 2 year deal, and the same age as Charlie Morton who just got a 2 year deal.  

42 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Not interested...Yuck. That's exactly how another bad contract situation happens and we end up paying a mid 30 year old 20+ million for throwing 86 MPH with a 5 ERA.

Then Pujols is in the front office and all of our hate goes to Keuchel.

It would be good for aw.com site traffic though.

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Do the Halos really, really want to pay $18-20 million per season for probably a high 3.00s/low 4.00s ERA and 1.30 WHIP????

That's why I would look into Pomeranz. I think he spent too much time with Joe Blanton last year, but he had two really good years before this past year with a low 3 ERA and 170 IP.. 

He could realistically give you similar numbers to Keuchel for 16 million dollars less. Yea, he could shit the bedrosian too, but at least we wouldn't be hamstrung for a guy with limited upside and paying 20 million a year. 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well you very well could be right.  He is 30 years old, if you give him 5 years he is still younger at the end of the contract than JA Happ who just got a 2 year deal, and the same age as Charlie Morton who just got a 2 year deal.  

The Morton deal was such a steal for two years. He throws absolute gas, so he is not like your typical 35 year old. And it's not a deal that will hurt you long term. I really, really wish we had gotten him. 

The fact that we didn't get Morton on the deal that the Rays gave him leaves me a little pessimistic in what we are going to do with the pitching situation, to be honest. But we shall see.

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

The Morton deal was such a steal for two years. He throws absolute gas, so he is not like your typical 35 year old. And it's not a deal that will hurt you long term. I really, really wish we had gotten him. 

The fact that we didn't get Morton on the deal that the Rays gave him leaves me a little pessimistic in what we are going to do with the pitching situation, to be honest. But we shall see.

Morton has lived in Bradenton for many years, just across the Bay, and is deeply involved in local charities and efforts.

A year ago, he was saying Houston or retirement were his options, and Tampa was basically close enough to retirement.

Any chance Canning breaks into the rotation next year?

Right now I see our SP as:

Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Pena (unitil Canning replaces him) and ?  Possibly Kikuchi

Before you all get on me about Pena...His ERA over the course of the season: 

June - 2.51

July 6.89

Aug 3.72

Sep 3.48

8.26 K/9

Needs to cut down on the walks....but he is a solid #4/#5 option for us, who could slide into the pen.

My worry about Pena is less about his production but more about his durability. 

The conversion to SP broke JC and Bridwell. I’d prefer they slot him into the pen as the multi-inning guy or as our #6 SP, shutting between SLC and Anaheim so they can manage and limit his innings, at least for the first few months of the year.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

At this point if you can get Keuchel for 4 years and $80 million you might just do it if you are the Angels.  

i'd absolutely do this, and would even be willing to go 4/100.

he may not be a world beater but he's better than any of the other starters currently on our roster and we are in need for a #1 guy.

The Angels have Skaggs and Heaney who are both lefties.  Keuchel is also a lefty and so is Kikuchi.  How many lefties do you want in the rotation?  I'd rather take Kikuchi over Keuchel.  And then there's Gio Gonzalez - also a lefty. 

MLB Trade Rumors predicts Keuchel will get $82 million over 4.   Gio at $24 over 2.  I like that better - but I'd still rather have Kikuchi.

Lots of lefties still on the market... Miley, Pomerranz, Ryu...

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

My worry about Pena is less about his production but more about his durability. 

The conversion to SP broke JC and Bridwell. I’d prefer they slot him into the pen as the multi-inning guy or as our #6 SP, shutting between SLC and Anaheim so they can manage and limit his innings, at least for the first few months of the year.

For me...this why I think Canning replaces him by the ASB.

9 minutes ago, True Grich said:

The Angels have Skaggs and Heaney who are both lefties.  Keuchel is also a lefty and so is Kikuchi.  How many lefties do you want in the rotation?  I'd rather take Kikuchi over Keuchel.  And then there's Gio Gonzalez - also a lefty. 

MLB Trade Rumors predicts Keuchel will get $82 million over 4.   Gio at $24 over 2.  I like that better - but I'd still rather have Kikuchi.

Lots of lefties still on the market... Miley, Pomerranz, Ryu...

Does it really matter?  

I remember the year we ran out an entire RH pitching team....

If you have quality guys who can make quality pitches, whether or not they throw from the right side of left side shouldnt matter.