• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why the Angels won't sign Wilson Ramos

Pancake Bear

Just now, Stradling said:

I’m not worried about 1st, 2nd or 3rd.   I worry about catcher and pitching.   I wouldn’t mind an upgrade at 3rd, but it’ll be ok.  Same at first with Bour.

Grandal, Keuchel and Kikuchi are the significant potential upgrades for this team.  

two of those three in Grandal and Keuchel are both going to get more money than I would hope to see the halos shell out on either.  

Most of the targets I would have been happy about are gone.   Honestly, I am pretty disappointed so far.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Grandal, Keuchel and Kikuchi are the significant potential upgrades for this team.  

two of those three in Grandal and Keuchel are both going to get more money than I would hope to see the halos shell out on either.  

Most of the targets I would have been happy about are gone.   Honestly, I am pretty disappointed so far.  

But.. its only Dec 16th.  

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

But.. its only Dec 16th.  

There's actually no reason to even spend at this point.  

we could overpay on Keuchel or Grandal.  Handcuff ourselves for the future by adding someone like Macahdo or Harper who we're not going after anyway (fine with that).  Guys like Moustakas, Pollock, Brantley aren't happening.  Kimbrel is a bad bet and if Eppler spends big on a closer, we'll know he's lost his mind.  Honestly, there isn't much else out there that excites me.  

Just let the kids play at this point.  

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

There's actually no reason to even spend at this point.  

we could overpay on Keuchel or Grandal.  Handcuff ourselves for the future by adding someone like Macahdo or Harper who we're not going after anyway (fine with that).  Guys like Moustakas, Pollock, Brantley aren't happening.  Kimbrel is a bad bet and if Eppler spends big on a closer, we'll know he's lost his mind.  Honestly, there isn't much else out there that excites me.  

Just let the kids play at this point.  

Save for next winter and trout 

we need 2nd tier pitching that doesn’t cost us picks. DK is not an option

There are still a ton of ways to get things done this off season.  They could go out and sign a guy like Manny.  They could and sign Keuchel and Kikuchi and turn around and trade Skaggs for prospects to make up for that loss of draft pick.  They might even be able to get a guy like Hedges and a solid prospect or two for Skaggs.  I have no idea if Skaggs can get them the catcher SD got last year in the Hand trade.  If they have $30 million to spend, before letting Shoe and Parker go, they still have at least $30 million to spend.  Yea it is super frustrating to not get a guy like Ramos, but Eppler has my confidence that if Ramos wanted to be here he would be here.  I am confident in a Trout extension, but a TOTAL whiff in this off season would not make me feel any better.  

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we signed Kikuchi and Harvey, trade for Hedges, would that really be a bad off season?  

I have a hard time imagining the Padres moving Hedges for a package that I'd be comfortable with.  I just don't see them selling low on him.  If you were in the position that SD is, would you trade a former top 25 prospect who showed some signs of improvement offensively last year and is still only 25 at a position that's hard to fill for guys out of the top 100?  Especially considering that he's a really good defensive catcher?  

Kikuchi and Harvey would we ok.  Tons of risk with both.  We really need at least one guy who can get you around 180 ip and an era around and perhaps slightly below 4.00.  

To be clear though, I am not putting all of this on Eppler as he can't force someone to come here and I'm glad he's shown appropriate restraint.  But it's still disappointing.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

I have a hard time imagining the Padres moving Hedges for a package that I'd be comfortable with.  I just don't see them selling low on him.  If you were in the position that SD is, would you trade a former top 25 prospect who showed some signs of improvement offensively last year and is still only 25 at a position that's hard to fill for guys out of the top 100?  Especially considering that he's a really good defensive catcher?  

Kikuchi and Harvey would we ok.  Tons of risk with both.  We really need at least one guy who can get you around 180 ip and an era around and perhaps slightly below 4.00.  

To be clear though, I am not putting all of this on Eppler as he can't force someone to come here and I'm glad he's shown appropriate restraint.  But it's still disappointing.  

Didn't they get the best catching prospect in the game from Indians?

39 minutes ago, Stradling said:

One other item of note.  Eppler certainly doesn’t appear to be fearful of losing his job as he’s in the final year of his deal.   If he was more on edge they would be spending more or using more prospect capital.   There may be a plan.  

The owner still has to sign off on the deal. No gm has that kind of power to offer someone w contract with out owner approval. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

The owner still has to sign off on the deal. No gm has that kind of power to offer someone w contract with out owner approval. 

Yes the owner has to sign off on a big deal, but I highly doubt Arte would have to sign off on a deal to get a guy like Ramos.  My guess is Arte gives a budget and Eppler decides the best way to use that budget.  Now if Arte wants to kick the tires on a guy, for example I have been told Arte really likes Machado, then he would have to approve a deal of that magnitude for sure.  I am sure he signed off on Upton.  But a $20-30 million deal, doubtful.