• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cowart has been abducted by Dipoto

UndertheHalo

17 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Has Jerry redefined the term 2-way player? Is it REALLY 2-way to throw the ball either from the mound to the catcher or from the infield to a base to get a runner out? Doesn't 2-way involve an ability to hit the ball?

Don't complicate things.

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

There might be somebody out there who switched to pitching at 26 and was a success but I can't think of who that might be.  Percival (and others) switched earlier in their minor league careers, I think....Cowart should have done that, if the team gave him the option....

Former Houston outfielder Jason Lane played six years,  including starting in right during Houston's pennant season in 2005. He was out of  the majors after 2008 but was recalled age 37 to spot start for Ian Kennedy (6 IP, 0 runs) with the Padres in 2014. Pitched in 3 games (0-1, 6.87). One successful start. And he was recalled as a pitcher, so there was success in that regard.

Kole may still have a future if he has another 2018.

3 hours ago, DMVol said:

There might be somebody out there who switched to pitching at 26 and was a success but I can't think of who that might be.  Percival (and others) switched earlier in their minor league careers, I think....Cowart should have done that, if the team gave him the option....

Ron Mahay came up as an outfielder and started a few games before converting to a solid relief pitcher who had a nice long career.

34 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Talk about a letdown. I dont mean that hes gone, but his time here. He was the one name in the minors we all knew for years. Had hopes hed at least make it as a mediocre player.

Part of this is that the Angels spent just about a decade being pathetic failures at drafting.  Really just the most incomprehensible draft strategy of pursuing the “high floor” player.  Cowart was like one of the only ones that sniffed a top 100 list even for like 1 year.  Don’t forget, we in Angels land were excited about Kyle Kubitza.  So ya, Cowart was a known quantity.  That’s how sorry it’s been.  Cowart is a utility player.  At least he’s a major leaguer.  Even if he’s not much of one.  How many upper round pick have the Angels had in the last 10 + years that have failed miserably ?  My favorite Angels draft fail was bozo the clowns grandkid.  I don’t think that dude even threw a pitch in the majors.  My favorite type of 1st rounder.  Anyway the MLB draft is tough, a lot of these guys wash out,  but the Angels have been extraordinarily bad.  

So, at least Eppler seems to be better in that aspect.  It’s a low bar.  We’ll see soon enough as his first draft classes start entering the upper minors and hopefully start pushing into the majors. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

54 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Part of this is that the Angels spent just about a decade being pathetic failures at drafting.  Really just the most incomprehensible draft strategy of pursuing the “high floor” player.  Cowart was like one of the only ones that sniffed a top 100 list even for like 1 year.  Don’t forget, we in Angels land were excited about Kyle Kubitza.  So ya, Cowart was a known quantity.  That’s how sorry it’s been.  Cowart is a utility player.  At least he’s a major leaguer.  Even if he’s not much of one.  How many upper round pick have the Angels had in the last 10 + years that have failed miserably ?  My favorite Angels draft fail was bozo the clowns grandkid.  I don’t think that dude even threw a pitch in the majors.  My favorite type of 1st rounder.  Anyway the MLB draft is tough, a lot of these guys wash out,  but the Angels have been extraordinarily bad.  

So, at least Eppler seems to be better in that aspect.  It’s a low bar.  We’ll see soon enough as his first draft classes start entering the upper minors and hopefully start pushing into the majors. 

Trevor Bell was his name and he actually appeared in 54 games and pitched 116 innings.You are right though, he was a real clown.

6 hours ago, DMVol said:

Sergio Santos (son of a former co-worker of mine) did it and had some success until he got injured.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/santose01.shtml

7 hours ago, DMVol said:

I think Mychal Givens was about that age when he switched.