• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yelich deal. Missed Opportunity?

Dtwncbad

The Brewers traded away some top prospects for Yelich, but it is almost impossible to view the deal as anything more than a solid win for Milwaukee.

https://reviewingthebrew.com/2018/09/08/milwaukee-brewers-prospects-yelich-trade/

Was it a mistake to not go get this guy?

What is your interest in pursuing Realmuto?

And I still cant believe the Marlins had Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton and Realmuto and concluded they needed to rebuild.  Four stud young players with years of control.

we just didn't have the prospect capital at the time.  Brinson was a top 15 prospect.  Diaz was a top 100.  Harrison was top 75.  and Yamamoto is equivalent to someone like Jose Soriano.  

so even if we wanted to, I just don't see how we could have put a package together that would have satisfied the Marlins unless it was Adell, Canning, Marsh and Soriano.  

then our pitching would have sucked and we'd have missed the playoffs anyway.  

then we'd have threads about how we're wasting Yelch's prime years.  

1 minute ago, popo85 said:

Mathis, Kotchman, Saunders, Wood who says no

Wasn’t Howie also rumored to be included?   Still, that would have been a genius trade as M-Cab was just 24 at the time, and that likely would have kept them from signing Pujols.   Only downside would be if they extended him too many years like Detroit did.

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wasn’t Howie also rumored to be included?   Still, that would have been a genius trade as M-Cab was just 24 at the time, and that likely would have kept them from signing Pujols.   Only downside would be if they extended him too many years like Detroit did.

Yeah also the late Nick Adenhart was mentioned  at the time

Nobody wants to trade Adell or Canning.  I don't.

But the Angels are in a unique situation.  Their average age of starters is on the high end, so they need to get younger, but this is also a good group to try to win.

If they Angels could get younger and better at the same time, that is when you have to consider parting with prospects you otherwise don't want to lose.  In a perfect world you can do something and hold on to an Adell, but realistically you may have to consider trading him if it was for the right player.

Forget for a second whether or not Adell was rated high enough last year.  Would it have been worth it to trade him to get Yelich?  Tough to argue.  Yelich was the freaking MVP.

20181208_082733.jpg

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Just a hunch adding a 20 year old Adell to the outfield would probably bring down that average age pretty significantly 

Of course.  But when does he become an All Star level perforner. . .or an MVP level perforner like Yelich?

And how many years of prime of Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Simmons, Heaney and Skaggs are you willing to spend away waiting?

What is the value of having something now that is young AND proven with years of control?

Don't anyone get me wrong.  I don't have an agenda to trade Adell.  I dig that guy.  But I am personally at least open to the idea that Adells value is EITHER what he brings to the team when he graduates OR what he brings the team now in a trade.

No more Dante Bichette for Dave Parker deals, ever!!!!

But a top prospect for an MVP type in the younger part of their prime?

I believe it might be foolish to not be open to it, especially considering the core players here now.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I guess my answer would be, if the team was ready to go for a championship and had almost every piece in place, then you can decimate the farm system for Yelich, because he is truly an MVP caliber player in his prime.  

No intention of being argumentative, just commenting that my preference is the Angels NOT be a team that is timing a "go for it" . . .

I would like to see the team simply try to stay young enough and use their resources to add as many quality players as they can. 

If the Angels were flat out terrible then I would not want to trade a bunch of top prospects for a Yelich.  But as they sit now, adding a Yelich really helps a pretty good team get significantly better for years.

It wouldn't really be a go for it as much as s or us simply securing young premium player for years.  You do that enough and the winning takes care of itself.

I get what you are saying and of course it is always risky on whether to trade the #4 prospect in baseball or hold on to them and see if the talent materializes at the major league level.  I just think having a guy like Adell, who’s ceiling may only be a guy that is almost as good as Yellich, it allows you to do so much with other positions because for 6 years he is super affordable, where Yellich will be a free agent sooner and cost more until he gets there.  Hell if we had Miluakee’s bullpen and the rest of the Angels were the same there is an argument to go after Yellich using Adell.  But as currently construted, to me there isn’t really an argument to be had.

To follow-up on what Scotty said, here are what I would guess will be Adell's and Yelich's WAR over the next seven years (before Adell hits free agency), starting in 2019 when Adell will probably get a cup of coffee but not be a regular until 2020:

Adell (age 20-26): 0, 2, 4, 5, 3, 5, 4, 7 = 30 WAR

Yelich (age 27-33): 8, 6, 7, 6, 5, 6, 3, 4 = 45 WAR

Or something like that. Now here's projected salaries over those seven years:

Adell: 0, .5, 1, 3, 5, 5, 15 = ~30 million

Yelich: 9.75, 12.5, 14, 15, 30, 30, 30 = ~140 million

Adell might be as good as Yelich is, but chances are he won't be. He has the talent, but very few players - even as talented as Adell - become MVPs. But he should be very good.

So the question is, would you rather spend $140 million on 45 WAR or $30 million on 30 WAR?

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

To follow-up on what Scotty said, here are what I would guess will be Adell's and Yelich's WAR over the next seven years (before Adell hits free agency), starting in 2019 when Adell will probably get a cup of coffee but not be a regular until 2020:

Adell (age 20-26): 0, 2, 4, 5, 3, 5, 4, 7 = 30 WAR

Yelich (age 27-33): 8, 6, 7, 6, 5, 6, 3, 4 = 45 WAR

Or something like that. Now here's projected salaries over those seven years:

Adell: 0, .5, 1, 3, 5, 5, 15 = ~30 million

Yelich: 9.75, 12.5, 14, 15, 30, 30, 30 = ~140 million

Adell might be as good as Yelich is, but chances are he won't be. He has the talent, but very few players - even as talented as Adell - become MVPs. But he should be very good.

So the question is, would you rather spend $140 million on 45 WAR or $30 million on 30 WAR?

The answer is simple, if you are going to spend that $140 million anyway, then you keep Adell and spend the other $115 million improving other parts of the team.