• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dumpster Dives

If players are getting overpaid, for example the Corbin deal, the Angels may have a hard time matching offers for guys if they aren’t willing to open up the checkbook. Who would you guys dumpster dive for and take a chance on? I would kick the tires on Matt Harvey on a cheap deal. See if he can contribute somewhat to the rotation. I’m aware he had Tommy John before and of his current downward trend, but he’s not even 30 yet(turns 30 before season), so he should be cheap and if the rotation doesn’t work out we can try him out in the bullpen. 

20 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

You could get burned diving into Dumpsters. And the lingering stench could last 162 games.

Yeah that’s true, take it for what it’s worth but here is an article on how Harvey’s delivery in Cincinnati looked different from his delivery in New York and how he was able to touch 97mph a few times and that is average fastball velocity went to 94 vs 92. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2018/6/22/17491990/cincinnati-reds-matt-harvey-mechanical-adjustments-fastball-velocity-slider-movement

Felix Pena (3-5 4.00 ERA 17 GS 90 IP 82 H 28 BB 83 K 1.222 WHIP as a Starter) acquired for PTBN and under club control through 2024

Taylor Cole (4-2 1.34 ERA 33.2 IP 15 H 9 BB 35 K 0.713 WHIP as a reliever) signed as a minor league free agent and under club control through 2025

Hansel Robles (0-1 2.97 ERA 36.1 IP 32 H 15 BB 36 K 1.294 WHIP in 37 games with the Angels) picked up off waivers and under club control through 2022

These guys aren't All Stars but they also point to the fact that quality can found if you know where to look.  

5 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Felix Pena (3-5 4.00 ERA 17 GS 90 IP 82 H 28 BB 83 K 1.222 WHIP as a Starter) acquired for PTBN and under club control through 2014

Taylor Cole (4-2 1.34 ERA 33.2 IP 15 H 9 BB 35 K 0.713 WHIP as a reliever) signed as a minor league free agent and under club control through 2025

Hansel Robles (0-1 2.97 ERA 36.1 IP 32 H 15 BB 36 K 1.294 WHIP in 37 games with the Angels) picked up off waivers and under club control through 2022

These guys aren't All Stars but they also point to the fact that quality can found if you know where to look.  

Are there any dumpster dives in the free agent market that you wouldn’t mind trying out?

If you furnish your whole house with stuff from HomeGoods, you have a pretty cheap looking house.

You need MOSTLY high quality pieces throughout and then you can have a couple of throw pillows and a whicker basket from HomeGoods.

You dumpster dive for a #5 starter when the rest of your rotation is stacked.  You dumpster dive for 2B when your infield is stacked.

The Angels should not be dumpster diving right now.

5 minutes ago, Halokingfish said:

Are there any dumpster dives in the free agent market that you wouldn’t mind trying out?

Well, those guys were culled from the minor-waiver dumpster...

For guys that have enough service time to reach free agency, it's tough to find a palatable cost in relation to projected performance.

For the rotation, I'd like to see if guys like Lance Lynn, Gio Gonzalez, or Matt Harvey would be affordable...could you get one of these guys for the price akin to Matt Moore or a one year deal slightly north of that,

Maybe sign someone like Tillman to a minor league deal.

The Angels have money but I think you commit your big bucks to the sure things Machado or Harper and try to avoid the Eovaldi-like deals where you are paying a premium on filler. 

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If you furnish your whole house with stuff from HomeGoods, you have a pretty cheap looking house.

You need MOSTLY high quality pieces throughout and then you can have a couple of throw pillows and a whicker basket from HomeGoods.

You dumpster dive for a #5 starter when the rest of your rotation is stacked.  You dumpster dive for 2B when your infield is stacked.

The Angels should not be dumpster diving right now.

You still furnish your home within a budget though...

You don't buy bookshelves for the spare room at Z Gallerie when Ikea will work just fine.

It's not about being cheap as much making sure you are getting value for what you spend.

11 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

For the rotation, I'd like to see if guys like Lance Lynn, Gio Gonzalez, or Matt Harvey would be affordable...could you get one of these guys for the price akin to Matt Moore or a one year deal slightly north of that,

I looked up Matt Moore and the Tigers already signed him to a one year deal for 2.5 mil a couple of days ago. Oh my bad I reread your post and you were aware Moore was off the table

Edited by Halokingfish

Just now, Halokingfish said:

I looked up Matt Moore and the Tigers already signed him to a one year deal for 2.5 mil a couple of days ago. 

That's what I was referring to...it will be probably be more than 2.5 Mil but maybe get Gonzalez on a 1 or 2 year deal at 15-20 mil.  Just throwing some stuff out...there is a lot of "average-ness" that could perform at "above-average" as a 4 or 5 starter.

I'd also look at seeing what it would take to re-sign Shoemaker if his forearm is indeed truly healthy.

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

That's what I was referring to...it will be probably be more than 2.5 Mil but maybe get Gonzalez on a 1 or 2 year deal at 15-20 mil.  Just throwing some stuff out...there is a lot of "average-ness" that could perform at "above-average" as a 4 or 5 starter.

I'd also look at seeing what it would take to re-sign Shoemaker if his forearm is indeed truly healthy.

Yeah I reread your post and I realized you were aware Moore was off the market. As for Shoemaker I recall reading an article that his injury was misdiagnosed and the doctors found what the real issue is and corrected it, so maybe Shoemaker on a cheaper AAV with 4 years

6 hours ago, Halokingfish said:

Yeah I reread your post and I realized you were aware Moore was off the market. As for Shoemaker I recall reading an article that his injury was misdiagnosed and the doctors found what the real issue is and corrected it, so maybe Shoemaker on a cheaper AAV with 4 years

They better have had plans for po itching prior to releasing Shoemaker.