• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WAZE App

T.G.

So... I'm a late adopter to most things and this morning I tried the WAZE App for the first time.  It told me to take an alternative route to work and I didn't believe it (traffic was moving just fine) and didn't take the exit it told me to take.  It corrects and gives me another alternative route and I ignored that one too (traffic was still moving fine).  Not long after, I saw why... huge accident on the Fwy. I should have listened...

Anyone else use this App?  I guess I'll believe it from now on.... haha

I use that or Google Maps (same company) all the time.  I do notice that in the less traveled commute hours (early mornings), they are quite often wrong.  Especially with ramp and lane closures.  Even in busy times, I've seen them recommend me take a certain way and show it was smooth sailing, and find it's bumper to bumper.  And when it's packed, and I fly through.  

One thing on waze I don't get it how people put notifications in when driving.  I see stalled cars and police and such, and they are usually right.  But someone must be inputting that stuff in, and I guess maybe because I'm not used to it.  But it doesn't seem like a safe thing to do.

7 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I use that or Google Maps (same company) all the time.  I do notice that in the less traveled commute hours (early mornings), they are quite often wrong.  Especially with ramp and lane closures.  Even in busy times, I've seen them recommend me take a certain way and show it was smooth sailing, and find it's bumper to bumper.  And when it's packed, and I fly through.  

One thing on waze I don't get it how people put notifications in when driving.  I see stalled cars and police and such, and they are usually right.  But someone must be inputting that stuff in, and I guess maybe because I'm not used to it.  But it doesn't seem like a safe thing to do.

I don't get the notifications either...  if people are really driving hand's free - how do they do this?

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I don't get the notifications either... I mean if people are really driving hand's free - how do they do this?

The weird thing is with the cars stalled on a freeway  - how could they always get the location correct?  If you are going 60 mph, even if a "passenger" is inputting, it is going to be off.

10 hours ago, Geoff said:

I use Waze anytime I'm going anywhere that isn't just around town.  It has never steered me wrong.  (pun)   The only time it's failed me is when I've ignored it.

This x 1000. Whenever I choose to not use Google Maps/Waze, that'll be the day there's an exception to the rule and my otherwise decent commute is blown to hell by an accident. It never fails. 

Last night on the way home it took me on a different route (to avoid an accident, I assume) and I ended up on surface streets where it seemed even worse because of the traffic and red lights.  I ignore it once and regretted it.  I used it and regretted it.  This is annoying.   I wanted to scream when I was stuck on the street with no where to go.

I rarely have a better route option going to work. Every once in a while the 10 Freeway out of Covina is so messed up it is actually quicker to reroute to the 60 but often you pay for that in the downtown exchange.

On the way home I've bailed to surface streets from El Monte to home and often it takes longer but at least there is something more to look at. 

On 12/6/2018 at 4:19 PM, mancini79 said:

On long drives I use a combination of Waze and Google maps. If Waze tells me to get off the hwy, I double check traffic on Google maps to verify. Sometimes Waze will have you exit for no reason because it will save you 1 minute, but it doesn't take in effect of traffic lights. 

For city driving I love waze.

I call that being Wazed...has you get off the freeway and two exits later get back on the freeway. In downtown LA I tend to ignore when it has me get off the freeway for surface streets...more than once I've been stuck having to try and make an unprotected left across a major thoroughfare.

So was in the Corona or something area this weekend.  Was going to dinner and my buddy used whatever app on his iphone  that Yelp suggested.  We got totally lost, because it told us to go somewhere way different than where we wanted to go.  Funny thing is, we were about 1000 feet from where we wanted to go, but used the app suggested route and turned left instead of right which took us another mile or two down the road.  Ended up turning into a parking lot, turning on Waze, and it showed me where to go.  

Yes I absolutely use and love the WAZE app.  I use it for the times when I know where I'm going, but don't know the traffic, and I use Google maps for places I don't know.  I think google maps shows the lanes I need to be in better than WAZE.  But as for traffic, you can't beat WAZE.  Also, you can't beat the Cops notification on WAZE.