• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eovaldi signs with Red Sox

Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Or you could spend $17 million a year for a number 5 starter. 

Or you could nitpick every pitcher and be left with no one. You gotta spend at least that if you want a pitcher that has a high enough potential that most on this board want. If 17 million is too rich then we're going to be looking at a potential market of nothing but #4/5 starters. Bargain bin shopping.

Just now, IheartLA said:

Or you could nitpick every pitcher and be left with no one. You gotta spend at least that if you want a pitcher that most on this board want. If 17 million is too rich then we're going to be looking at a potential market of nothing but #4/5 starters.

So you’d have paid him $17 million a season based on his history of performance?

21 hours ago, Stradling said:

So you’d have paid him $17 million a season based on his history of performance?

I would have paid him $17 million a season not based on his history of performance, but on what I expect him to do from 2019-2022 for his age 29-32 seasons. I expect him to be very good.

Who else would you rather have at this point? With $17M I'd rather have Eovaldi than Lance Lynn/Gio Gonzalez/James Shields or some combo like that. Keuchel isn't signing for less. Kikuchi will be a little less but with the posting fee it's going to be around that number. 

The angels aren't operating under the luxury tax guidelines, actual real $ payroll matters to Arte. We have less money to spend than a lot of people on this board project in their posts. We might only have ~$17M to spend and I'd rather go for a guy who could be the best SP on the staff and let Skaggs/Heaney/Tropeano/Pena/Barria + Canning/Suarez fill out the rotation. 

Kikuchi is going to be a lot less that $17 million and since the posting fee on him is percentage of salary it isn’t going to be the typical $20 million.  You can assume that Eovaldi has turned a corner, that is exactly what Boston is assuming, but he could be the next Gary Mathews Jr.  Hell even if he can only cut it in the bullpen, that is a gross overpay at $17 million.  If he is worth that much then Skaggs or Heaney are going to be expensive in free agency.  

8 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

He won a title with the Sox and his game 3 is stuff of legend for them. I’m sure they’re fine with it. 

Yes, but if we won the World Series in 2012, I highly doubt people would be “fine” with Albert these days.  I know that is extreme.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes, but if we won the World Series in 2012, I highly doubt people would be “fine” with Albert these days.  I know that is extreme.  

Tough to say. Arod’s contract got a lot of heat but if I’m a Yankee fan I wouldn’t have hated it or him. 

36 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Tough to say. Arod’s contract got a lot of heat but if I’m a Yankee fan I wouldn’t have hated it or him. 

Well they all did, as he tried to sue the team and MLB and while he was suspended.  “He wasn’t a true Yankee” and that kind of shit.  They all hate him for not being Derek Jeter.  They think he is a fraud.  So you would be in the minority of Yankee fans if you were a Yankee fan.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Kikuchi is going to be a lot less that $17 million and since the posting fee on him is percentage of salary it isn’t going to be the typical $20 million.  You can assume that Eovaldi has turned a corner, that is exactly what Boston is assuming, but he could be the next Gary Mathews Jr.  Hell even if he can only cut it in the bullpen, that is a gross overpay at $17 million.  If he is worth that much then Skaggs or Heaney are going to be expensive in free agency.  

No more posting fees.... Team gets a percentage of the contract total.....

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think that is what I meant, not sure how it came across. 

Not sure if the new system will prove cheaper or more expensive...  it's like 20% of the first 25 mil, then 17.5% of the next 25 mil, and then 15% of anything over 50 mil....  Will be interesting to see how it works out when the next Ichiro, Ohtani type gets posted...  Gotta figure more teams will be involved moving forward.

Edit: your post was pretty clear, I'm just a bit out of it and dumber than usual.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Nathan Eovaldi:
850 IP, 4.16 ERA, 3.82 FIP, 96 ERA+, 1.35 WHIP

Matt Shoemaker:
545 IP, 3.93 ERA, 3.93 FIP, 99 ERA+, 1.20 WHIP

One was non-tendered, one got nearly $70m. 
Pretty crazy.

(And yes, I understand the differences between the two, but still wanted to point out how 'average' Eovaldi has been and how missing out on him isn't the end of the world.)

On 12/6/2018 at 10:35 PM, IheartLA said:

Or you could nitpick every pitcher and be left with no one. You gotta spend at least that if you want a pitcher that has a high enough potential that most on this board want. If 17 million is too rich then we're going to be looking at a potential market of nothing but #4/5 starters. Bargain bin shopping.

I definitely wouldn't want Eovaldi at $17 per, but I think your point is valid nonetheless. Every free agent comes with risk, and if you are too critical, you end up without anyone. Free agency is a gamble.