• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AW Jargon...

T.G.

In the same spirit of the Stradling's thread about the most tired lines in AW history...

I thought it would be nice to update everyone on the AW Jargon that exists here.  Clarification or the history behind terms like "Craig" or "Ralston Schmidt."  I know some of them, but there are a lot I still don't know or don't remember.

The one I'm not familiar with is "clean peanut"  - What does that mean and how did it get started?

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont remember the genesis of it or who started it, but clean peanut is in reference to the fact that they can be whole coming out the back end and if you clean them up they look like new even though they came from the poop pile.  :)  

Well that is disturbing.  I envisioned digging around in the peanut shells under a stadium seat and finding a clean peanut that had been discarded.

My mental version is a little more pleasant.

It isn't AW jargon but my friends and I use "Wilfong" as a term for somebody who sticks around too long and nobody knows why they were here in the first place.

Rob Wilfong spent 4 years with the Angels and never deserves a roster spot.

"We went over to Dave's house to play poker."

"Who went?"

"Me, Jim, Sean, Mike, Al. . . A couple of Wilfongs, but it was fun."

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Rondons - Prospects

Clean Peanut - A buy low acquisition

That should at least get them started. 

I think of a Rondon as being slightly more specific. Its a prospect who has some amount of value, but that amount of value is extremely low. Think, ceiling as an MLB bench warmer kind of guy. So, for a trade, you may throw in a couple Rondons to sweeten the pot. You aren't losing much, but its a nice gesture.

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It isn't AW jargon but my friends and I use "Wilfong" as a term for somebody who sticks around too long and nobody knows why they were here in the first place.

"Who went?"

He bunted for Gene Mauch.  That's all he did.

49 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I read that string of four words and wonder how on earth can anyone learn a second language.  Can you imagine understanding each of those words individually and being baffled as to what the hell that means?

This is an excellent post. A+.

"skus" or "Jeter skus" - A board member (Was it  @FabulousFabregas?)  Got thrown out of an Angel game. I believe the story goes: He kept saying "Jeter Sucks!" at the game, then got a warning from an usher. Then he said "Jeter skus!" and got thrown out? Something to that effect. 

"Your and idoit" - Someone was ranting and mis-typed "You're an idiot" and this took off. Haven't seen anyone use this one in a while. 

Kelvin Escobar's Tripod / Tripod thread  - Epic thread of pics of Kelvin's supposed huge dong. Does this thread still exist!? 

There are a few others that I faintly remember but can't recall details - "Shitting on Chuck's couch" and "I drive two Porsches!" 

51 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

"Who went?"

I still harbor a slight grudge with Wilfong.   Even if he did tie up 1986 ALCS game 5 in the bottom of the 9th, he stuck to 1B when he would have gotten to 2B if doing the normal thing and taking the extra base on the throw home.    Then Schofield's hit to RF may have scored the ALCS clinching run.

Speaking of things that haven't come up in a while, does anyone remember in Spring Training when Kelvim Escobar came up to bat and Scioscia told him not to swing and he swung though the first pitch anyway.  The camera pans over to Scioscia waving his arms, eyes enraged yelling "don't swing", and Escobar smiles and him, swings anyway and actually gets a "seein' eye" single up the middle?  The camera bans back over to Scioscia and you can read his lips perfectly "You gotta be sh___ing me."

One of the funniest moments.  

Well that, and the time Jeff Mathis threw to 1B when a runner was stealing 2B.  The reaction on this board was epic.  Can anyone find that thread?  @Lou maybe?