• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How about Nick Markakis for RF?

Chuck

Great OBP,  good defense and saw a spike in his slugging pct. this past season. 1-year deal to man RF until Jo Adell is ready? Since he's 35 years old I'm guessing we can get him on the cheap for a one year contract. 

Try to trade Calhoun for anything to unload his salary, or just keep him around as a 4th OF, platoon 1B with Pujols?

Thoughts?

Signing Markakis and moving Calhoun to acquire a frontline pitcher makes a lot of sense. In the offseason plan thread, I suggested signing Markakis and trading Calhoun as part of a package for Bumgarner, but it could be for like Greinke or someone else perhaps. Or as a salary dump like you suggest- to sign a pitcher maybe. 

And then if the season doesn’t go as planned, Markakis and his likely lower salary can be moved for something decent and we can call up Adell

6 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Calhoun does not get you a front line pitcher. 

Yup. Greinke is about the only deal I can think of where he could be involved, but only as a way to facilitate salary.

But he may get you close to someone like Teheran, Kennedy, or Roark, likely with another piece or two involved.

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The two pieces get you a pitcher, Calhoun gets you nothing after the last two seasons of terrible offense. At this point you have to hold on Calhoun and hope for a dead cat bounce to make him a mid season trade option. 

Best case scenario I could see would be something like Atlanta offering Teheran for Calhoun and Bedrosian. The money is close to equal. They’d have to like Calhoun better than what is available on the FA market, and how the $$$ is shaking out for guys like McCutchen, Jones, Markakis, and Brantley. If those guys are signing for ~ $10m AAV, then Calhoun isn’t really that attractive. If they get closer to $12-$15m, Calhoun + Bedrosian might be worth Teheran. They’d also have to feel comfortable installing one of their SP prospects in Teheran’s place in the rotation. 

Washington would only have interest in moving Roark to save salary, so a one for one of Calhoun for Roark doesn’t do them any good. It’d probably have to involve something dumb like the Angels taking Zimmerman as well for 1B, or throwing prospects at them to get Rendon + Roark, and even then, it’d only be because Washington is looking to clear up salary, which recently doesn’t seem to be a problem for them.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yup. Greinke is about the only deal I can think of where he could be involved, but only as a way to facilitate salary.

But he may get you close to someone like Teheran, Kennedy, or Roark, likely with another piece or two involved.

For me if you’re  trading Calhoun. Trade him for prospects and not for salaries. You save about 10 million that way to spend it in other places. 

15 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

For me if you’re  trading Calhoun. Trade him for prospects and not for salaries. You save about 10 million that way to spend it in other places. 

And that’s an option, but Calhoun’s trade value isn’t suited all too well for quality prospects. It’d be more lotto-ticket, low-level guys or high-level folks who are busting and need a change of scenery. 

Which isn’t a bad thing - I just think a cash neutral one for one is more likely, if it 1) fills another need the Angels have, such as a back-of-rotation innings eater that they’d have to like more than FA options for similar cost 2) and if they feel comfortable in whomever they’re eyeing as a RF solution - be it a stopgap like Jones, Markakis, McCutchen, or a bargain bin replication of Nava/Gentry to buy time for Adell.

I think a Cron for Rengifo type deal could work for Calhoun. 

Meaning, Calhoun for a low-A prospect with some skills but not necessarily a top ranked or regarded prospect much like Rengifo, before his breakout season in 2018.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Best case scenario I could see would be something like Atlanta offering Teheran for Calhoun and Bedrosian. The money is close to equal. They’d have to like Calhoun better than what is available on the FA market, and how the $$$ is shaking out for guys like McCutchen, Jones, Markakis, and Brantley. If those guys are signing for ~ $10m AAV, then Calhoun isn’t really that attractive. If they get closer to $12-$15m, Calhoun + Bedrosian might be worth Teheran. They’d also have to feel comfortable installing one of their SP prospects in Teheran’s place in the rotation. 

Washington would only have interest in moving Roark to save salary, so a one for one of Calhoun for Roark doesn’t do them any good. It’d probably have to involve something dumb like the Angels taking Zimmerman as well for 1B, or throwing prospects at them to get Rendon + Roark, and even then, it’d only be because Washington is looking to clear up salary, which recently doesn’t seem to be a problem for them.

Julio Teheran has lost 1.5 mph off of his fastball in 2018. He is owed $11M and has an option for $12M. He has almost negligible value. Calhoun still has some value despite his down season. Throwing Bedrosian in would just be an overkill pay on our part. Just saying it does not add up value wise. I could see a straight up trade 1-for-1 although I still think we would be giving up a touch more than they will and taking on more salary to boot.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

How often do these trades actually match up even value though?
Sometimes that extra nudge is needed on one side or the other to set it apart from other options.

I think nowadays they are matching up pretty closely unless one team has a truly superior analytics and scouting team. There is a lot more parity now. There are of course other factors, particularly when a team absolutely has to move a player to free up salary or for other reasons and they have to make a decision that does not favor their side, so yes an extra nudge is needed, especially when a truly star player is involved.