Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

Does anyone miss the Autry days?


Torridd

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I have certain nostalgia for the '79 - '86 era Angels since I was 7-14 and I didn't quite have context yet that this type of run doesn't happen all the time despite your best efforts.

I can you I don't miss the Jackie Autry era of "we're a small market franchise"... 

I can you, too 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I have certain nostalgia for the '79 - '86 era Angels since I was 7-14 and I didn't quite have context yet that this type of run doesn't happen all the time despite your best efforts.

I can you I don't miss the Jackie Autry era of "we're a small market franchise"... 

"I can tell you..."

Dammit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Interesting thought.  I do not miss at all being told were a small market club, that was laughable, but i do miss the cowboy.
We never really had great expectations back then, though we would go get a name here and there but i always hated being the step child of the LA market.  
Alas it would seem were hearkening back to those days again with fixed budgets and profits over winning this time for all the wrong reasons.  I got it back then we didnt have the resources we do today, i dont get it now.  I hope im proven wrong about that soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Alas it would seem were hearkening back to those days again with fixed budgets and profits over winning this time for all the wrong reasons.  I got it back then we didnt have the resources we do today, i dont get it now.  I hope im proven wrong about that soon. 

There was no Luxury Tax back then nor multi-million dollar penalties for exceeding it...but, who needs facts?

?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

 

There was no Luxury Tax back then nor multi-million dollar penalties for exceeding it...but, who needs facts?

?

Have we ever done that?  Are we in any danger of doing that?  Has anyone suggested a plan that would bring this into play? ...but, who needs relevant information.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Have we ever done that?  Are we in any danger of doing that?  Has anyone suggested a plan that would bring this into play? ...but, who needs relevant information.  

1998 payroll - $48,389,000 12th in the league

2018 payroll - $175,100,000 6th in the league

Only two teams exceeded the luxury tax threshold (BOS and SFG)..."Alas it would seem were hearkening back to those days again with fixed budgets and profits over winning this time for all the wrong reasons. ? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

1998 payroll - $48,389,000 12th in the league

2018 payroll - $175,100,000 6th in the league

Only two teams exceeded the luxury tax threshold (BOS and SFG)..."Alas it would seem were hearkening back to those days again with fixed budgets and profits over winning this time for all the wrong reasons. ? 

 

You miss the point.  Back in the day we didnt spend because we couldnt, today we arent because reasons that have nothing to do with can or cant.   they spent up to the very limit of what they could most years back then, can we say that now? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, floplag said:

You miss the point.  Back in the day we didnt spend because we couldnt, today we arent because reasons that have nothing to do with can or cant.   they spent up to the very limit of what they could most years back then, can we say that now? 

Yes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

You miss the point.  Back in the day we didnt spend because we couldnt, today we arent because reasons that have nothing to do with can or cant.   they spent up to the very limit of what they could most years back then, can we say that now? 

where are you getting this from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, floplag said:

You miss the point.  Back in the day we didnt spend because we couldnt, today we arent because reasons that have nothing to do with can or cant.   they spent up to the very limit of what they could most years back then, can we say that now? 

Back in the day they chose not to spend though they could.  Jackie chose austerity and "small market" mindset despite being in the 2nd biggest media market in the country

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

You miss the point.  Back in the day we didnt spend because we couldnt, today we arent because reasons that have nothing to do with can or cant.   they spent up to the very limit of what they could most years back then, can we say that now? 

The market hasn't changed that much relative to the rest of MLB. We could have spent but the Autrys didn't believe it was a big market. Arte did and transformed the team. 

I agree that Arte could spend more and make a profit. But the Autrys could have just as easily. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lou said:

where are you getting this from?

living thru it.

 

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

Back in the day they chose not to spend though they could.  Jackie chose austerity and "small market" mindset despite being in the 2nd biggest media market in the country

You are correct, but noone misses Jackie, im talking about the cowboy

 

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

The market hasn't changed that much relative to the rest of MLB. We could have spent but the Autrys didn't believe it was a big market. Arte did and transformed the team. 

I agree that Arte could spend more and make a profit. But the Autrys could have just as easily. 

Gene didnt have near the resources Arte does.   Our TV deal alone covers all but about 30 mil of the fixed salary budget, Thats something Autry never had.  Nor shared revenue or profit sharing etc.    Its not apples to apples.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...