• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Christmas gift to you?

Torridd

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

If you could only have one, what would it be? I think I would like Harper above anything else.

Same here. But I have a feeling were getting gobots instead of transformers this year. Or actually a jacket, and new shoes. Which isnt as fun, but in the long run we need more than optimus prime.

When you make a Christmas list you have to prioritize, and you ask for things that you know you'll never get (I always wanted the AT AT from Empire Strikes Back...never got it)

1. Trout Extension

2. DeGrom (without losing Adell or Canning)

3. Another frontline starter (eovaldi, corbin, keuchel, happ, kluber, etc)

4. Legit closer

Edited by Biergott
another one off the market

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I would love a Trout extension ... although, it’s been seven years and I’m still waiting for the rest to fall into place. 

Amen, to that brutha. And there is the possibility that Trout wont be as good after 2020, anyway

I'm down for Harper as my biggest Xmas wish, too. The new yellow line in RF gets breached often. Two .400 OBP guys with power at the top of the lineup. And no worrying about which Kole will show up this season....................

Trout and Harper 2-3 in the lineup?

2 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Amen, to that brutha. And there is the possibility that Trout wont be as good after 2020, anyway

I'm down for Harper as my biggest Xmas wish, too. The new yellow line in RF gets breached often. Two .400 OBP guys with power at the top of the lineup. And no worrying about which Kole will show up this season....................

Trout and Harper 2-3 in the lineup?

I think if they magically landed Harper and signed Trout to an extension, they'd have Ohtani hit leadoff, because they really don't have a guy who has a great track record in the minors or majors with a career high OBP slated to play regularly.

So Ohtani leading off, Trout 2nd, Harper 3rd, and Upton 4th sounds like the best bet to me. Simmons 5th, Pujols/1B 6th, Cozart 7th, Briceno/Smith, Fletcher/Ward 9th

6 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think if they magically landed Harper and signed Trout to an extension, they'd have Ohtani hit leadoff, because they really don't have a guy who has a great track record in the minors or majors with a career high OBP slated to play regularly.

So Ohtani leading off, Trout 2nd, Harper 3rd, and Upton 4th sounds like the best bet to me. Simmons 5th, Pujols/1B 6th, Cozart 7th, Briceno/Smith, Fletcher/Ward 9th

That is a perfect lineup if we add that one piece, based on our existing talent. 

But then, the following year, Ohtani The Pitcher goes back to hitting about three days a week. Sigh!

Could we still extend Simmons if we sighned Harper and extended Trout? Or do we let him walk? Any replacement down on the farm?

2 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

That is a perfect lineup if we add that one piece, based on our existing talent. 

But then, the following year, Ohtani The Pitcher goes back to hitting about three days a week. Sigh!

Could we still extend Simmons if we signed Harper and extended Trout? Or do we let him walk? Any replacement down on the farm?

Simmons may be due a small raise over his 2020 salary, but yes they could still extend him. And he's still young, so you don't need a replacement ready yet. I assume since Cozart is also a FA at the same time, that Fletcher if he's hitting or Renfigo or someone from A ball that I've not heard of yet would be in range internally.

The payroll numbers for AAV would be up, but not for actual salary. Simmons is due 15M in 2020, and Trout is due 33.25. The AAV is around 8 for Simmons and 24 for Trout.

But the actual payroll won't climb that much. Say Simmons gets 4/64 or 5/80 in free agency. That's 16M in AAV. And Trout, where he will likely get more money per year, it won't be $50M per, so it is actually a small raise.

Harper's actual AAV will be offset in the years 2019 and 2020 by the lower AAV of Simmons and Trout, and then in 21, there would be a possibility of going through the luxury tax ceiling, especially since Ohtani also would be eligible for arbitration (if he's not in 2020).