• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels announce 2019 Coaching Staff

Chuck

I like seeing former Angel players return as coaches.  All except for maybe Josh Paul.  I don't know anything about his coaching, but thought he wasted a space on the 25 man roster when he was on the team as the third catcher... 

It will be nice to see Jose Molina at the stadium. He was always great with the fans and interacting with the crowd all the time, back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

They have been adding people left and right.  The guy at Driveline and an article at The Athletic has talked up how much they have expanded their analytics and bio-mechanics operations.

I think the halos are one of the teams pioneering the use of technology to assess bio-mechanics.  I think it's gonna play a key role in not only helping the major league player become better but if you can start using it on some of these teenage kids that are recently drafted or signed internationally, it may allow for a higher yield of success and increase the chances of reaching some of those high ceilings.  The other thing it does is to allow for the team to target specific players that may be underachieving and with a few tweak could unleash potential.  

To me, it's not just about analytics and finding ways to analyze data of something that's already happened but to use technology in a way that allows you optimize strengths and minimize weakness before it happens.   

This is where I think guys like Matt Harvey become very interesting targets at the major league level.  Or some guy in AA/AAA that we've never heard of.  

17 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think the halos are one of the teams pioneering the use of technology to assess bio-mechanics.  I think it's gonna play a key role in not only helping the major league player become better but if you can start using it on some of these teenage kids that are recently drafted or signed internationally, it may allow for a higher yield of success and increase the chances of reaching some of those high ceilings.  The other thing it does is to allow for the team to target specific players that may be underachieving and with a few tweak could unleash potential.  

To me, it's not just about analytics and finding ways to analyze data of something that's already happened but to use technology in a way that allows you optimize strengths and minimize weakness before it happens.   

This is where I think guys like Matt Harvey become very interesting targets at the major league level.  Or some guy in AA/AAA that we've never heard of.  

Curious to see if this is the 'next step' in how organizations find a competitive edge. 

Slow-moving free agency, teams hoarding prospects, defensive shifts, the 'opener', three true-outcome offenses...I feel like all of this connects back to the current era where front office's have started to plateau on the post-Moneyball 'analytics' ideology. For the most part, every team has come around to the same general set of beliefs, and it's causing this sort of log-jam in the ways teams build winner, handle prospects and vets, and treat free agency.

Not long ago, we still had organizations with differing views and beliefs and it led to more 'exciting' offseasons and unknowns during the season - everyone seems to have reached that same philosophy now, so things are more stagnant.

Either way, hopefully the Angels can take the lead on whatever that next competitive advantage may be.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2018 at 2:04 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ha yeah. That one threw me too. No idea.

@Dochalo

Yeah, one will coach the hitting and the other instructs the hitting that the coaching gives. Then, the hitting coach will coach what the instructor gives. Thus, the hitting coach is instructing and the instructor is coaching. We following along?.... haha