• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

First Base (still the elephant in the room)

Dtwncbad

Pujols is getting paid 28 million.  He will take up most of the first base playing time. If you DH him, that means no Ohtani and that sucks. I guess Ohtani could sit vs certain lefties and Albert then Dh's but most pitchers are right handed meaning that most of the time, the lineup will be Ohtani DH and Pujols at 1st.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

This makes no sense.  If Kole is hitting well enough to be in the lineup every day, then utilize his excellent defense in right field.

And completely aside from that point, the "answer" to being paranoid about getting no offensibe production from 1B cannot be a guy that was literally the worst offensive player in baseball for half the season last year.

So if Kole is hitting, but they also have a black hole at 1st, and Pujols is presumably injured, you'd rather have LaStella or say Thaiss hitting than Adell in RF? Or A guy like McCutchen?

His defense in RF is excellent, but his offense the past two years has been spotty, so I wanted a platoon partner who can either play half the games in RF so Kole can sit if needed, but hopefully that guy can also play half the games at 1st, like Marwin Gonzalez.

Since that type of versatility is not common, I also was open to having Kole fill that role, because he can, and signing a new RF, like McCutchen. But that assumes Adell isn't ready until 2020, hence my opinion above.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

To expand the discussion, it would also be reckless to assume Kole will be fine for 150 games in right.

You can't trade Pujols but you can trade Kole.  I think Kole needs to be traded.

I just can't stomach these huge risk situations.

Imagine if Kole hits .161 for the first six weeks and Pujols needs foot surgery.

OMG the Angel's would have two huge black holes on the lineup in Mid May.

Is there some small amount of paranoia here?  Maybe.  But maybe not.  I can see this as not really far fetched at all.

This team needs to be prepared for that.

Not at all. Any fan who's followed this team for some time now would have the same concerns. There's always a disaster lurking just around the corner.

2002 excepted.

5 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Pujols is getting paid 28 million.  He will take up most of the first base playing time. If you DH him, that means no Ohtani and that sucks. I guess Ohtani could sit vs certain lefties and Albert then Dh's but most pitchers are right handed meaning that most of the time, the lineup will be Ohtani DH and Pujols at 1st.

I think you missed the MAIN point.  It is completely reckless to believe Pujols will be healthy enough to take up "most of the 1B playing time."

The conversation has nothing to do with benching a healthy Pujols.  The conversation is about acknowledging that his physical limitations at this point make him not reliable enough to assume he can take the field for a whole season.

Although an exaggeration, it would be like expecting Mark Prior to make 30 starts at the end of his career.  You better have a plan because it isn't happening.

6 minutes ago, Hubs said:

So if Kole is hitting, but they also have a black hole at 1st, and Pujols is presumably injured, you'd rather have LaStella or say Thaiss hitting than Adell in RF? Or A guy like McCutchen?

His defense in RF is excellent, but his offense the past two years has been spotty, so I wanted a platoon partner who can either play half the games in RF so Kole can sit if needed, but hopefully that guy can also play half the games at 1st, like Marwin Gonzalez.

Since that type of versatility is not common, I also was open to having Kole fill that role, because he can, and signing a new RF, like McCutchen. But that assumes Adell isn't ready until 2020, hence my opinion above.

that actually assumes they're going to spend on either Gonzalez or McCutchen.  Which they aren't.  

7 minutes ago, Hubs said:

If you are asking me, the answer is you trade Kole.  I am not comfortable risking him hitting .190.  Trade.

And I am also not comfortable assuming Pujols can take the field.  I want a plan where the Angels do not skip a beat if Pujols is out for the season on April 20th.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think you missed the MAIN point.  It is completely reckless to believe Pujols will be healthy enough to take up "most of the 1B playing time."

The conversation has nothing to do with benching a healthy Pujols.  The conversation is about acknowledging that his physical limitations at this point make him not reliable enough to assume he can take the field for a whole season.

Although an exaggeration, it would be like expecting Mark Prior to make 30 starts at the end of his career.  You better have a plan because it isn't happening.

Pujols believes he will be healthy enough. Therefore, you go into 2019 with him as your starting 1st baseman. He is in complete control.  He is costing the team 28 million and with Arte on a budget and so many other positions to fill, a backup 1st baseman is low on the list.  Maybe that's where Stella will play if Pujols gets injured.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

If you are asking me, the answer is you trade Kole.  I am not comfortable risking him hitting .190.  Trade.

And I am also not comfortable assuming Pujols can take the field.  I want a plan where the Angel's do not skip a beat if Pujols is out for the season on April 20th.

I agree here, but I don't know where they can trade him where they free up money to sign his replacement.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

And I am also not comfortable assuming Pujols can take the field.  I want a plan where the Angel's do not skip a beat if Pujols is out for the season on April 20th.

that plan is Hermosillo, La Stella, Ward, Thaiss etc.  Maybe we grab another guy who can play OF/1b and maybe 3b off waivers or in a small trade.  

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Pujols believes he will be healthy enough. Therefore, you go into 2019 with him as your starting 1st baseman. He is in complete control.  He is costing the team 28 million and with Arte on a budget and so many other positions to fill, a backup 1st baseman is low on the list.  Maybe that's where Stella will play if Pujols gets injured.

So Mark Prior says he feels great and thinks he can make 30 starts.  You as the GM don't prepare for the blatantly obvious???

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that actually assumes they're going to spend on either Gonzalez or McCutchen.  Which they aren't.  

This... this is exactly the reason for my debbie downer attitude of late, with a set budget that doesnt have room for what we actually need, were not getting anyone like that on offense. 

Just now, beatlesrule said:

Mark Prior is not under contract for 3 more years and owed 87 million.

You again ignore we are not talking about benching Pujols.

Let me get you focused.

How many games do you honestly believe Pujols will be PHYSICALLY CAPABLE of playing in 2019?

What would you put money on?

I think the over/under is 50 games.

Just now, floplag said:

This... this is exactly the reason for my debbie downer attitude of late, with a set budget that doesnt have room for what we actually need, were not getting anyone like that on offense. 

like I said, not unless it's bargain basement or a FA leftover that we didn't expect to see around for less money.  but as long as Josh Donaldson is getting 23m per and Garrett Richards 15m for what amounts to 1yr post TJ surg then I think we know how this ends up.  

7 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I think we need to add 'it's in Alberts contract to do this or that' to the AW stale phrases thread.  

3 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

It is the amount of money left over after removing costs.

ok, define profit in the context of that post then... 

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

like I said, not unless it's bargain basement or a FA leftover that we didn't expect to see around for less money.  but as long as Josh Donaldson is getting 23m per and Garrett Richards 15m for what amounts to 1yr post TJ surg then I think we know how this ends up.  

yeah, i have to admit i didnt see those coming 

Firstly, there's a ton of offseason left and a lot of moves to make still. A lot can change. 
Secondly, we need to quit assuming Fletcher will automatically make the team, in either a starting or utility role. As long as Kaleb Cowart and Tommy La Stella are on the 40-man, Fletcher is likely ticketed to AAA as he has options, Kaleb does not, and given La Stella's background, isn't likely headed to AAA.

So, as of right now, yes, our IF is probably Cozart, Simmons, Fletcher, Pujols, with La Stella and Cowart currently slotted for the bench, joining our back-up catcher and 4th OF.
I cannot imagine that's what we'll roll with. 

More likely, they acquire another infielder, pushing Cowart into DFA world or Fletcher to AAA.

Mike Moustakas is an obvious big FA fit that would result in...
Moustakas, Simmons, Cozart, Pujols - with La Stella and Cowart/Fletcher on bench - Moose, Cowart or La Stella as back-up 1B. 
Marwin gives you a ton of versatility as well. 

Guys like Jose Pirela, Jedd Gyorko or Jose Martinez all could be traded for - all play 1B.
Pirela can play some corner OF, Martinez can cheat some LF appearances, and Gyorko is good anywhere in the IF. 
This would again, result in a Cowart DFA or Fletcher bumped to AAA.

Or the Angels could still sign another FA IF. 
Derek Dietrich is awful defensively but could cover 1B. 
Matt Davidson can cover 1B/3B just like Marte and give you some power and occasional RP spots. 
Wilmer Flores has played a lot of 1B recently and is sporting a decent .268/.315/.456/.771, 109 OPS+ and will only be 27. 
Logan Morrison could conceivably give you coverage at 1B/LF, maybe RF, and could be a buy-low.

There are honestly so many IF FA options available, I'd be stunned if we didn't see another signing - maybe even two from the lower-tier - that resulted in at least one of Cowart's DFA or Fletcher's demotion to AAA. Wouldn't be surprised if La Stella gets 1B reps, or if Fletcher even gets OF reps either.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

that plan is Hermosillo, La Stella, Ward, Thaiss etc.  Maybe we grab another guy who can play OF/1b and maybe 3b off waivers or in a small trade.  

Not that I disagree Doc, but the team needs to score 800 runs-ish to make the playoffs, even with a SP add or two. How are they going to add 80 runs? (Basically 8 WAR). Ohtani in 200 more AB's does some of that, and Cozart is likely to be better than in 2018, if not as good as 2017, plus improvement from the catcher position? And Kole? Awful lot of question marks, but I don't see how that happens with the current lineup, short of Adell pulling a Soto/Trout-lite and being the nearly everyday RF.

Say Ohtani, Trout, Upton, and Simmons all go for 1 more WAR each, which is a stretch, (Ohtani can do a 4 WAR season as a DH, but 5 WAR is David Ortiz territory, and he only did that 5-6 times) that's half, but gettingh the other 4 offensive WAR or 40 runs, from Ward, Fletcher, Cozart, Calhoun, and the Catchers is a stretch, unless Adell goes off and takes RF, or Calhoun has a crazy spike in performance like Erstand in 2000, or Ward turns in a major league season numbers like he did in the minors last year (.970-ish OPS).

Adding a 4 WAR player offensively (where ever he plays) will make the rest of the team better as they won't have to do drastically better for the team to reach 800 runs.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Firstly, there's a ton of offseason left and a lot of moves to make still. A lot can change. 
Secondly, we need to quit assuming Fletcher will automatically make the team, in either a starting or utility role. As long as Kaleb Cowart and Tommy La Stella are on the 40-man, Fletcher is likely ticketed to AAA as he has options, Kaleb does not, and given La Stella's background, isn't likely headed to AAA.

So, as of right now, yes, our IF is probably Cozart, Simmons, Fletcher, Pujols, with La Stella and Cowart currently slotted for the bench, joining our back-up catcher and 4th OF.
I cannot imagine that's what we'll roll with. 

More likely, they acquire another infielder, pushing Cowart into DFA world or Fletcher to AAA.

Mike Moustakas is an obvious big FA fit that would result in...
Moustakas, Simmons, Cozart, Pujols - with La Stella and Cowart/Fletcher on bench - Moose, Cowart or La Stella as back-up 1B. 
Marwin gives you a ton of versatility as well. 

Guys like Jose Pirela, Jedd Gyorko or Jose Martinez all could be traded for - all play 1B.
Pirela can play some corner OF, Martinez can cheat some LF appearances, and Gyorko is good anywhere in the IF. 
This would again, result in a Cowart DFA or Fletcher bumped to AAA.

Or the Angels could still sign another FA IF. 
Derek Dietrich is awful defensively but could cover 1B. 
Matt Davidson can cover 1B/3B just like Marte and give you some power and occasional RP spots. 
Wilmer Flores has played a lot of 1B recently and is sporting a decent .268/.315/.456/.771, 109 OPS+ and will only be 27. 
Logan Morrison could conceivably give you coverage at 1B/LF, maybe RF, and could be a buy-low.

There are honestly so many IF FA options available, I'd be stunned if we didn't see another signing - maybe even two from the lower-tier - that resulted in at least one of Cowart's DFA or Fletcher's demotion to AAA. Wouldn't be surprised if La Stella gets 1B reps, or if Fletcher even gets OF reps either.

If Cowart makes this team over Fletcher somebody needs to be fired.

Edit: I am comfortable never mentioning Cowart ever again.  Done.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I will say 81, but I am not confident.  Bottom line is they won’t sign another free agent first baseman.  If anything it will be what Doc suggested, a 1st baseman that also plays outfield.  

The most convenient, best-for-the-team solution would be if Thaiss hits his way on to the roster in the Spring.  Being a rookie he would politically sit behind Pujols but be at the ready.

The second cleanest is to have a decent veteran that can play other positions like a Daniel Murphy or Moustakas, as they would not be seen as pushing aside Pujols and only slid to first in the "emergency" that Pujols gets hurt.