• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pat Sandoval/Canning/Suarez

Both Canning and Suarez will both make their debuts in 2019.  Even if the Angels grab two guys that go 200 innings next year, the chances of Tyler Skaggs pitching a full season are slim to none, and Barria too will likely be on an inning count.  Andrew Heaney looks like he'll be ready to go a full season, but even the most consistent pitcher might miss two or three starts each season.  And even if they don't, pitchers just aren't working as deep as they used to anymore, so the bullpen will need more depth. 

More than likely we'll get to see Suarez and Canning both pitch 50+ innings in the majors next year.  As far as Pat Sandoval goes, he just made his way to AA last year.  If he keeps dominating the way he did last year, sure, we'll see him in the second half, but chances are the Angels will want guys like Sandoval and Jesus Castillo to continue to refine their craft in AA and AAA. 

13 minutes ago, Lou said:

why would Barria be on an ip count? 

He did pitch 147.1 innings between SLC (18 innings) and here (129.1 innings) in 2018.   He should have a solid chance to get to at least 162 innings in 2019.

Skaggs is the one to be concerned with, regarding innings pitched.   He's only pitched 313 innings at all levels combined, since the TJS 4 years ago.

Ideally, the combo of us adding two SP, Heaney, Skaggs, Barria and Pena are good enough to get it done.  But injuries and poor performance happens. So we'll see Canning and Suarez this year for sure.  There's probably going to be another guy or two we add on a minor league contract as the off season progresses that would likely get the call prior to either of those guys should we need some spot starts.  Maybe that ends up being Castillo although I just don't have any confidence in him.  Luis Pena was another guy I thought could be a depth piece although I think we'll lose him in the rule 5.  We might actually get a Nate Smith sighting at the major league level this year.    

I think they'll do their best to hold back Sandoval as much as possible.  

we have a nice crop of very newish pitchers that I'm hopeful about that could really start to bridge that gap of talent we have on the pitching side from A to AA.  Soriano, Chris Rodriguez, Hernandez, Bradish, etc.  

21 minutes ago, Lou said:

why would Barria be on an ip count? 

Most young pitchers are.  Teams rarely ever release a 22 year old pitcher to go 180+ innings anymore.  It's a gradual build up.  Typically 125 innings around AA, 150 innings among most first and second year major leaguers, and 170+ from those that can stay healthy from there. 

The inning cap is something Eppler is showing to be more stringent on than most.  Almost every high end pitcher that the Angels draft is shut down for the remainder of that year and put on a strength and mobility and nutrition program.  

I expect Barria to end up around 150 innings again in 2019.  If he shows he can handle that and succeed at the big league level then we'll probably see him turned loose. 

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Most young pitchers are.  Teams rarely ever release a 22 year old pitcher to go 180+ innings anymore.  It's a gradual build up.  Typically 125 innings around AA, 150 innings among most first and second year major leaguers, and 170+ from those that can stay healthy from there. 

The inning cap is something Eppler is showing to be more stringent on than most.  Almost every high end pitcher that the Angels draft is shut down for the remainder of that year and put on a strength and mobility and nutrition program.  

I expect Barria to end up around 150 innings again in 2019.  If he shows he can handle that and succeed at the big league level then we'll probably see him turned loose. 

he pitched damned close to 150 last year between the majors and AAA.  I think his innings will very much depend on his performance.  He's not a max effort guy so if he's successful, I could see him getting 160+.  

We also have Pena, and apparently Nate Smith will be around. Dillon Peters and Luke Farrell shouldn’t be completely ruled out either. 

Suarez is likely the first up since he’ll be on the 40. Similarly, Madero and Castillo could factor in here if they make it to the regular season on the 40 and are producing. 

If they can add two MLB arms expected to make 30 GS - of almost any quality - I’ll be pretty happy with our depth.

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

We also have Pena, and apparently Nate Smith will be around. Dillon Peters and Luke Farrell shouldn’t be completely ruled out either. 

Suarez is likely the first up since he’ll be on the 40. Similarly, Madero and Castillo could factor in here if they make it to the regular season on the 40 and are producing. 

If they can add two MLB arms expected to make 30 GS - of almost any quality - I’ll be pretty happy with our depth.

Was Nate Smith's surgery for shoulder or tj ?

23 minutes ago, floplag said:

Per our own primer series on this very forum, none of them are expected to be anything but depth in 19.   It would seem wishful thinking to expect much, but i expect they will probably get thier first cup of tea late in the year or pending injuries out of necessity.

I will say with the non-tender of Shoemaker I am curious if they will start Canning in the rotation to start the season. Don't think it will happen as they do have lots of options (see tomorrow's Primer Series article on Eppler's Strategy) but you never know. Our team depth this off-season will be light years improved from the last two years when all is said and done I think. Legitimately good replacements around the diamond, in the rotation, and in the bullpen are for real in 2019 I think when Eppler is done.

11 hours ago, ettin said:

I will say with the non-tender of Shoemaker I am curious if they will start Canning in the rotation to start the season. Don't think it will happen as they do have lots of options (see tomorrow's Primer Series article on Eppler's Strategy) but you never know. Our team depth this off-season will be light years improved from the last two years when all is said and done I think. Legitimately good replacements around the diamond, in the rotation, and in the bullpen are for real in 2019 I think when Eppler is done.

In theory, yes, in reality im not so sure especially early on.  Weve lost a lot of depth from the rotation, right now we barely have one to start 19.   
Of course we all know thats Epplers primary target right now but till he actually does something we wont know the extent of that.  
Assuming the kids are part of that before summer feels like a reach.  I believe they will see Anaheim in 19, i just dont think they will open the season there.