• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

BREAKING: Angels acquire....

Chuck

6 hours ago, TroutField said:

Yep been thinking about it for a while. This is rounding out the infield, the Angels told him to expect to play 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It’s probably going to be Cozart at 3rd, Fletcher at 2nd, La Stella the util infield guy filling in at 1st when Pujols can’t, etc. Wilson Ramos might be their “big” offensive acquisition but his injury history scares me. 

Lame... I was hoping we would do something exciting like offload Calhoun for something and upgrade RF, or acquire a good young Catcher like Austin Hedges, maybe take a chance on a buy low candidate that we could platoon with all of our infield depth like Jake Lamb who struggles to hit lefties. 

Unless this is part of something bigger because another team had some interest in Cozart, Ward, or Fletcher... don’t expect the results to be any different than last year. Even if they add JA Happ and another starter.  

Kind of annoying to know your team plans on being mediocre and it isn’t even December. 

I don’t see how acquiring an affordable utility infielder for free has any bearing on whether or not we trade Kole or make a big move.   You very well could be right but I can’t fathom how you came to that conclusion.  

6 hours ago, TroutField said:

Yep been thinking about it for a while. This is rounding out the infield, the Angels told him to expect to play 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It’s probably going to be Cozart at 3rd, Fletcher at 2nd, La Stella the util infield guy filling in at 1st when Pujols can’t, etc. Wilson Ramos might be their “big” offensive acquisition but his injury history scares me. 

Lame... I was hoping we would do something exciting like offload Calhoun for something and upgrade RF, or acquire a good young Catcher like Austin Hedges, maybe take a chance on a buy low candidate that we could platoon with all of our infield depth like Jake Lamb who struggles to hit lefties. 

1) I’ve been touting David Fletcher for a couple years now as our ‘19 starting 2B, but it wouldn’t surprise or disappoint me if he opened the season in AAA, paired up with Rengifo getting reps together, with Ward and Thaiss alongside as our 2021 infield. Jones eventually bumping one into the UT IF role.

2) Even through all those hitting prospects are unproven, 2019 is a great year to give them opportunities to grab a job, so I can understand the notion of leaving our infield depth a little thin so we get them playing time. We need a few of them to stake a claim soon.

3) Rightly, their focus should be on pitching first. It’s expensive, it’s a lot of need, there’s a lot available, and there’s almost always interesting hitters signing cheaply late in the offseason these days.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I don’t see how acquiring an affordable utility infielder for free has any bearing on whether or not we trade Kole or make a big move.   You very well could be right but I can’t fathom how you came to that conclusion.  

Read the first paragraph again, that coupled with the budget I don’t see any huge additions for the offense 

3 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Read the first paragraph again, that coupled with the budget I don’t see any huge additions for the offense 

Ok, I read it.  I still have no understanding of how this would impact a move involving Kole or a catcher.  Now if you said this means we won’t see Daniel Murphy, or Jed Lowrie or Mike Moustakas that would be understandable.  I would even say going cheap with this guy increases the chances of spending more on a catcher or more on a Marwin Gonzales or it frees up a bit of money to move Kole and upgrade RF by spending a few more bucks.  Or as someone else suggested it could mean they think they have found some interest in Cozart.  It has been a slow off season so far, so I get why some would assume the worst.  I will hold off on that until actual big names come off the board.  

Lastella is probably a pretty useful player and he is inexpensive.

This move means one of two things.

1). That's it for infielders and the Angels will have very fluid infield with a number of versatile players being plugged in.

2). Having Lastella now makes another player redundant and this was a move to allow someone else to he traded.

I am hoping for #2 because while I do not hate the profile of any of the infielders the Angels have, as a group there is a massive deficiency overall in raw power with this group.

Baseball is so power driven now.  You need as many players as possible that will punish a pitcher mistake to get you a run.  I am not arguing that I like this or want baseball to be like this, I am saying it just IS like this. This group's capability to punish a pitcher mistake is a single or double.

Small picture no issue with Lastella.  Big picture the Angel infield is way too weak in power for the contemporary game.

So I hope there is another show to drop here that changes this.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Lastella is probably a pretty useful player and he is inexpensive.

This move means one of two things.

1). That's it for infielders and the Angels will have very fluid infield with a number of versatile players being plugged in.

2). Having Lastella now makes another player redundant and this was a move to allow someone else to he traded.

I am hoping for #2 because while I do not hate the profile of any of the infielders the Angels have, as a group there is a massive deficiency overall in raw power with this group.

Baseball is so power driven now.  You need as many players as possible that will punish a pitcher mistake to get you a run.  I am not arguing that I like this or want baseball to be like this, I am saying it just IS like this. This group's capability to punish a pitcher mistake is a single or double.

Small picture no issue with Lastella.  Big picture the Angel infield is way too weak in power for the contemporary game.

So I hope there is another show to drop here that changes this.

He’s basically just replacing Cowart/Marte’s spot. That means the Angels might give Ward, Fletcher, or Rengifo the opp to grab the everyday job, or all three go to AAA regardless, the Angels acquire an everyday IF, and La Stella fills the UT role that many thought Fletcher would occupy. 

So it doesn’t quite mean only 1) or 2) yet.

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

Honestly, I don't think the Angels make this acquisition if they had bigger plans in store. With the exception of Tommy La Stella, a catcher and a fourth outfielder, our offense won't be improving. It's going to be a steady diet of Zack Cozart and David Fletcher at 2B and 3B, with La Stella backing them up, and Ward, Rengifo and Thaiss in AAA. 

That tells me, Eppler is probably going to spend 30+ million on the rotation this winter and our offense next year will likely be the same inconsistent group that we saw this year.  It's just hard to get excited when the bottom of the lineup is Cozart, Fletcher, Calhoun and a catcher that can't hit while Albert Pujols is still inexplicably entrenched in the middle of the lineup with his solid .275 OBP.

That's five spots in the lineup where you can expect below average, little or no production. 

Its looking like Trout will again lead the majors in intentional walks.

This acquisition improves the offense, in my opinion. I think Cozart will be better, Fletcher will be the same and La Stella is superior to any combination of Cowart/Marte/Valbuena.

And dont forget, we will have Ohtani for probably 30-50% more ABs, without this ridiculous three-day-shutdown while he pitches. If he hits behind Trout, a righty might be more inclined to pitch to Trout. Especially if they put Trout at #2, so that a first inning walk puts him on with less than two out.

I pray they dont bat Trout third. Legit leadoff guy, Trout, Ohtani, Upton................

Then, go spend money on pitching.

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He’s basically just replacing Cowart/Marte’s spot. That means the Angels might give Ward, Fletcher, or Rengifo the opp to grab the everyday job, or all three go to AAA regardless, the Angels acquire an everyday IF, and La Stella fills the UT role that many thought Fletcher would occupy. 

So it doesn’t quite mean only 1) or 2) yet.

Except none of the 6 infielders that figure into spots can play 1st, (Simmons, Cozart, Fletcher, Ward, LaStella, or Renfigo).

Adding LaStella signals they are going to move one guy, at least to me, because unless they plan on running with 12 position players, 12 pitchers, and the DH, I don't see how the roster is constructed.

Start with the OF you have at least 4 OF, three of those being: Trout, Upton, Calhoun.

4th is up for debate, but he should be able to play CF, I guess. Which leads me to believe it's Bourjos job to lose. They could go with 5, but it's more likely to me that one reserve is what happens.

Then you have 6 infielders, four of those being: Simmons, Cozart, Pujols and LaStella.

Ward/Fletcher/Renfigo is one and then Thaiss/Walsh/Cozart/Marte is the other. Maybe two of the first group and LaStella is optioned, and if he won't go, cut.

Then you have 2 catchers.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out, acquiring La Stella didn't mean anything other than acquiring La Stella. 

I feel like I already know how this is going to play out, and I'll probably catch some flak but here goes....

1B/DH Ohtani is going to miss the first 5-6 weeks of the season, and even upon return, it'll take him a little while to get going and the Angels will be handling him with kiddie gloves. Bour and Pujols will do exactly as expected in the beginning. Pujols will be better than we thought because his knees are fresh, its early in the season, he's rested and he's only DHing, while Bour is the same, low BA, high OBP and decent power. But as the season rolls on, Ohtani will find his stride in June, and that will mean DH is spoken for. Bour will be outhitting Albert, but because one makes 2.5 million, and the other makes 28 million, Pujols will continue to get most of the starts, which will knock Bour out of his rhythm and he'll lose it. Inevitably, right around July, Pujols' knees will give out, and Bour will be back in the lineup, but it'll take a couple weeks before he is back into the swing of things, which earns the offense will be bipolar. Right around August is when we'll see Thaiss force his way into the lineup, and he'll struggle at first before putting together a very quality September which will lead to him claiming the starting 1B spot in 2020, which will be Pujols' farewell tour. 

2B: Cozartwill log the majority of starts at 2B, though inevitably cede some to La Stella, and surprisingly, Cozart will show some of the pop, speed, defense and OBP from Cincy that caused Eppler to bring him in. But we also know Cozart doesn't play more than 100-120 games a year, so come mid-July. Same with La Stella, this increase in PT will lead to consistent aches and pains in his body later in the season. Luis Rengifo and will be promoted, as will Fletcher, which will open the door for both to claim a future roster spot. We'll also see Jahmai Jones officially break out in AA, and that will cause some momentum toward him taking over at 2B in 2020. More on that later. 

SS: Andrelton Simmons will have the best season of his career in 2019, as he reincorporated power into his game and earns his first all-star nod. This will inevitably lead to an extension next winter. 

3B: This will be split between Taylor Ward and Tommy La Stella. La Stella won't be the sexiest option, but he makes he plays you expect, and he reaches base. Ward will be much more dynamic, but al much more inconsistent. This will lead to Ward being traded (to make room on the roster) and Cozart being traded (not only for room, but to also clear payroll space for extensions). Luis Rengifo will be the starting 3B in 2020, with Jahmai Jones at 2B after May 1, to gain an additional year of control. David Fletcher will be the utility infielder. 

LF: Upton's range will continue to increase at an alarming rate, leading to even worse defense. And at the plate, he'll deliver exactly what you expect. .260/.340 and 30 HR.

CF: Mike Trout....who will also be signing an extension. 

RF: A full year of Kole Calhoun and it will be a normal year. .250/.310 20 HR and good defense. Jo Adell will remain in AA through mid-July and finish the season putting up absolutely monster numbers in AAA. He'll be the starting RF beginning May 1, 2020, so the Angels can also get an additional year of control with Adell too. 

Rotation: Both Heaney and Skaggs will have excellent seasons, both posting a low-3's ERA with lots of innings and K's. Barrie's second year won't be pretty, but he'll still get 150 innings in. Pena will log some starts but will finish the year in the bullpen. This is me going out on a limb, but Yusei Kikuchi will be signed and provide the Angels with 170 innings and 3.50 ERA next year, and also some pretty entertaining antics and celebrations on the mound. Both Griffin Canning and Jose Suarez will spend about half the season in Anaheim and both will show glimpses of brilliance and inconsistency. I'm sure there will be another starter in there somewhere that pitches 140 innings with  4.00 ERA. 

Bullpen: Absolutely brilliant! A true testament to Eppler's strengths. Robles, Garcia, Pena, Ramirez, Buttrey, Middleton, Jerez, Jewell. Just a whole lot of velocity. 

But 2020 is where things will get fun! Matt Thaiss at 1B, Jahmai Jones at 2B, Simmons at SS, Rengifo at 3B, Upton in LF, Trout in CF, Adell in RF, and a rotation of Ohtani, Kikuchi, Skaggs, Heaney, Canning, Suarez and Barria. 2020 will be insane. Picture Rengifo and Adell batting in front of Trout. They'll have 4 different guys steal 20+ bases and 6 guys hit 20+ HR. That team is going to win 95+ games.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Turns out, acquiring La Stella didn't mean anything other than acquiring La Stella. 

I feel like I already know how this is going to play out, and I'll probably catch some flak but here goes....

1B/DH Ohtani is going to miss the first 5-6 weeks of the season, and even upon return, it'll take him a little while to get going and the Angels will be handling him with kiddie gloves. Bour and Pujols will do exactly as expected in the beginning. Pujols will be better than we thought because his knees are fresh, its early in the season, he's rested and he's only DHing, while Bour is the same, low BA, high OBP and decent power. But as the season rolls on, Ohtani will find his stride in June, and that will mean DH is spoken for. Bour will be outhitting Albert, but because one makes 2.5 million, and the other makes 28 million, Pujols will continue to get most of the starts, which will knock Bour out of his rhythm and he'll lose it. Inevitably, right around July, Pujols' knees will give out, and Bour will be back in the lineup, but it'll take a couple weeks before he is back into the swing of things, which earns the offense will be bipolar. Right around August is when we'll see Thaiss force his way into the lineup, and he'll struggle at first before putting together a very quality September which will lead to him claiming the starting 1B spot in 2020, which will be Pujols' farewell tour. 

2B: Cozartwill log the majority of starts at 2B, though inevitably cede some to La Stella, and surprisingly, Cozart will show some of the pop, speed, defense and OBP from Cincy that caused Eppler to bring him in. But we also know Cozart doesn't play more than 100-120 games a year, so come mid-July. Same with La Stella, this increase in PT will lead to consistent aches and pains in his body later in the season. Luis Rengifo and will be promoted, as will Fletcher, which will open the door for both to claim a future roster spot. We'll also see Jahmai Jones officially break out in AA, and that will cause some momentum toward him taking over at 2B in 2020. More on that later. 

SS: Andrelton Simmons will have the best season of his career in 2019, as he reincorporated power into his game and earns his first all-star nod. This will inevitably lead to an extension next winter. 

3B: This will be split between Taylor Ward and Tommy La Stella. La Stella won't be the sexiest option, but he makes he plays you expect, and he reaches base. Ward will be much more dynamic, but al much more inconsistent. This will lead to Ward being traded (to make room on the roster) and Cozart being traded (not only for room, but to also clear payroll space for extensions). Luis Rengifo will be the starting 3B in 2020, with Jahmai Jones at 2B after May 1, to gain an additional year of control. David Fletcher will be the utility infielder. 

LF: Upton's range will continue to increase at an alarming rate, leading to even worse defense. And at the plate, he'll deliver exactly what you expect. .260/.340 and 30 HR.

CF: Mike Trout....who will also be signing an extension. 

RF: A full year of Kole Calhoun and it will be a normal year. .250/.310 20 HR and good defense. Jo Adell will remain in AA through mid-July and finish the season putting up absolutely monster numbers in AAA. He'll be the starting RF beginning May 1, 2020, so the Angels can also get an additional year of control with Adell too. 

Rotation: Both Heaney and Skaggs will have excellent seasons, both posting a low-3's ERA with lots of innings and K's. Barrie's second year won't be pretty, but he'll still get 150 innings in. Pena will log some starts but will finish the year in the bullpen. This is me going out on a limb, but Yusei Kikuchi will be signed and provide the Angels with 170 innings and 3.50 ERA next year, and also some pretty entertaining antics and celebrations on the mound. Both Griffin Canning and Jose Suarez will spend about half the season in Anaheim and both will show glimpses of brilliance and inconsistency. I'm sure there will be another starter in there somewhere that pitches 140 innings with  4.00 ERA. 

Bullpen: Absolutely brilliant! A true testament to Eppler's strengths. Robles, Garcia, Pena, Ramirez, Buttrey, Middleton, Jerez, Jewell. Just a whole lot of velocity. 

But 2020 is where things will get fun! Matt Thaiss at 1B, Jahmai Jones at 2B, Simmons at SS, Rengifo at 3B, Upton in LF, Trout in CF, Adell in RF, and a rotation of Ohtani, Kikuchi, Skaggs, Heaney, Canning, Suarez and Barria. That team is going to win 95+ games.

. . . or not

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Simmons was an All-Star the year before we traded for him.

If Upton's range is increased, why would his defense get worse? Wouldn't him getting to more balls help his defense?

Rotation: Both Heaney and Skaggs will have excellent seasons, both posting a low-3's ERA with lots of innings and K's. Barrie's second year won't be pretty, but he'll still get 150 innings in. Pena will log some starts but will finish the year in the bullpen. This is me going out on a limb, but Yusei Kikuchi will be signed and provide the Angels with 170 innings and 3.50 ERA next year,

One can only hope that's happens but yeah you're way out on that limb...

6 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Simmons was an All-Star the year before we traded for him.

If Upton's range is increased, why would his defense get worse? Wouldn't him getting to more balls help his defense?

One can only hope that's happens but yeah you're way out on that limb...

Yeah I meant to say decrease for Upton,