• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

BREAKING: Angels acquire....

Chuck

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Sure it is allowed, I didn’t say you can’t say that, I don’t even have the power to tell you not to say that.  It would simply carry a lot more weight if other teams were making moves that mattered while the Angels were not.  We upgraded our roster today, you may not see it, but it is exactly what happened.  We replaced Blash, who is awful, with a guy with good on base skills.  

Agree as much as this move is ehh or not that exciting. The guy has a career 345 obp. Can't hate that. Would have been 3 on the Angels last year.

11 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Look on the bright side.   At least we didn't acquire Tommy Lasorda.  One or two of those other utility types will probably go out in another deal.

La Stella may be our opening day 2B.

I seriously doubt that. But he's a good backup INF option for sure. 

I think he will end up platooning with Albert at 1b quite a bit or be a good option to be solid LHed hitter in place of Fletch or Cozart should they struggle.  

He also has an option left.  2nd year of arb.  Controlled for the next two years.  

Never really gotten much consistent PT.  

34 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Hoyer said La Stella's absence will make the Cubs look for left-handed hitting elsewhere. He said when La Stella returns, it won't be with the Cubs.

That was two seasons ago. I guess Hoyer was a little slow pulling the trigger.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I think he will end up platooning with Albert at 1b quite a bit or be a good option to be solid LHed hitter in place of Fletch or Cozart should they struggle.  

He also has an option left.  2nd year of arb.  Controlled for the next two years.  

Never really gotten much consistent PT.  

Last time the Cubs tried to option he refused the assignment and threatened retirement.  I doubt that'll fly with him.  And La Stella has never been a starter at any point in his major league career.  With the amount of options the Angels have, I doubt La Stella will be starting many games.  But last year, he was the best pinch hitter in baseball, and the angels half failed to come up clutch as frequently as they need to.  So I assume he'll be our primary pinch hitting option, while getting one start a week elsewhere. 

I'm not too excited about this move, because it likely means no Moustakas, but I understand Eppler's motivation and logic here. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Hoyer said La Stella's absence will make the Cubs look for left-handed hitting elsewhere. He said when La Stella returns, it won't be with the Cubs.

I suppose so, but I understand where La Stella is coming from.  This is his job, and he's good at it, but La Stella doesn't get his identity from baseball.  So if teams aren't going to put him in the major leagues where he feels he belongs, he'd rather just step away. 

I respect that. That's the way players should conceptualize themselves and their career.  They aren't baseball players, baseball is what they do. They're so much more. 

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Hoyer also said

"There's no doubt he's going to have to get at-bats and play in Triple-A before he can help the major league team," Hoyer said. "He's going to get at-bats in Iowa, for sure."

I think he meant that when he returned it wouldn't be to the major league team. He will return to the minors first

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I suppose so, but I understand where La Stella is coming from.  This is his job, and he's good at it, but La Stella doesn't get his identity from baseball.  So if teams aren't going to put him in the major leagues where he feels he belongs, he'd rather just step away. 

I respect that. That's the way players should conceptualize themselves and their career.  They aren't baseball players, baseball is what they do. They're so much more. 

does he get his identity from being unemployed?

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Hopefully this is one of those cheap productive guys we’ve never been able to get ahold of. 

It would be nice if he didn’t transform into a mega turd like Valbuena did.  We shall see. 

if he does, we can just move on.  Gonna cost about 1.2m this year and acquired for nothing.  

I can almost guarantee he's gonna be better than Valbuena or Marte.  He very could end up better than Cozart.  

He's the type of guy who could turn into the next Taylor or Muncy with a few swing tweaks.  Good hitter.  Hit well vs. lefties in the minors as well.  

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

does he get his identity from being unemployed?

When you've made 3+ million dollars in the last 6 years, not counting whatever smaller endorsement deals he might have, you can get your identity from whatever you want.  Even if he retired right now, if he's smart with his money and doesn't live lavishly, he'd never have to work again.

That's a lot of time to figure out that whole identity thing, though it sounds like he's figured that out already. 

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if he does, we can just move on.  Gonna cost about 1.2m this year and acquired for nothing.  

I can almost guarantee he's gonna be better than Valbuena or Marte.  He very could end up better than Cozart.  

He's the type of guy who could turn into the next Taylor or Muncy with a few swing tweaks.  Good hitter.  Hit well vs. lefties in the minors as well.  

Absolutely I agree.  I’m hopeful.