• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers and Padres pursuing Garret Richards

Dtwncbad

Looks like there is an active market rigjt now for him.  So it looks like it is decision time for the Angels on if they want to sign him and rehab him and hope for a 2020 productive season.

If you had to make a decision today on signing Richards to a 2 year deal, do you do it?

The idea of GRich going to the Dodgers is upsetting.  GRich is the unfulfilled promise of greatness.  For years, we heard about his "stuff" and we waited for him to be the dude at the top of the rotation that dominated hitters. He showed us glimpses of that from time to time.  Bad luck has left that promise we hoped for unfulfilled.  I'm not ready to give up on that idea.  I hope the Angels sign him to a reasonable deal and that he comes back to finally give us what we have been waiting for, for all these years.  I believe in the upside.  I believe finding great pitching is hard.  Don't let this one walk out the door, never to return.

Maybe he never fulfills that promise.  So be it. I'd rather the Angels take a shot here than not.  He's not going to break the bank.  Just make it happen.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

The idea of GRich going to the Dodgers is upsetting.  GRich is the unfulfilled promise of greatness.  For years, we heard about his "stuff" and we waited for him to be the dude at the top of the rotation that dominated hitters. He showed us glimpses of that from time to time.  Bad luck has left that promise we hoped for unfulfilled.  I'm not ready to give up on that idea.  I hope the Angels sign him to a reasonable deal and that he comes back to finally give us what we have been waiting for, for all these years.  I believe in the upside.  I believe finding great pitching is hard.  Don't let this one walk out the door, never to return.

Maybe he never fulfills that promise.  So be it. I'd rather the Angels take a shot here than not.  He's not going to break the bank.  Just make it happen.

He's 30 years old. He won't pitch again till he's 31 and that's coming off 2 TJ surgeries. He is not longed for baseball. Just because he was an Angel prospect you want to keep him? It is time to move on we only have 30 million to spend. Even spending 1 million dollars on him is taking away resources to spend somewhere that can help this team 

I'm just a fan.

I'm not some guy who pretends that he knows how to evaluate talent or project what a player is going to do.  I can't break down a player's mechanics. Heck, when I'm watching a game, I can't even tell if a guy is throwing a two seam or four seam fastball.

I'm posting about GRich as a fan.  I want to see him stay in Anaheim. 

I know how old he is.  I know he's had TJ surgery.  Again, I believe in the upside.  Obviously - some other teams do too. 

I don't care if you agree with me.  I mean I really don't give a rat's arse.  I'm not here to argue the merits of such a signing.

As a fan, I want to keep GRich in Anaheim.  It's that simple.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Dodger's have a long term view and realize potential value -- people can hate them all they want but they have been run efficiently and the potential payoff is worth the risk.  They Angels may have finally decided to burn that bridge and that's fine too, but from the Dodgers POV -- it's a worthwhile risk.

evidently, it is for the the Padres, too 

Just now, Lou said:

evidently, it is for the the Padres, too 

Given the amount of payroll they have and where their team is currently -- totally.   IF he manages to come back and stay healthy they have a great trade chip regardless of whether or not they are in contention.

Keep in mind, I was in favor of extending this sort of a deal to Eovaldi when he was broken and half our pitching staff was already broken.  Whether that makes me dumb or smart is a matter of perspective but I saw that as a worthwhile risk too.     

I don't think the Angels have the room to throw money at him to rehab this year -- but I went on record early that I'd have been okay with them pursuing such a deal.

27 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Really hope the Angels keep him. He showed us how good he can be in 2014 and 2015, but bad luck has torn up the last 3 years. TJ surgery is usually the final cure needed, and he's finally getting it done proper.

Hold on to him.

ah, 2014. 

i miss the good ol' days of JB Shuck and Gordon Beckham. 

Wonder if relief pitching is in his future.  Even if relief pitching doesn't mean what it used to.

Value, as someone mentioned, is key here.  It's a gamble, but you could get killer value with a guy like this. I wouldn't hate it if the Angels signed him for 2 years, $10 million. Is that the going rate for a pitcher like Richards?