• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Proposition to make baseball better: 6 year contract max

Dtwncbad

On 11/29/2018 at 2:13 PM, Barrett said:

The problem you see with unions though are that the majority usually doesn't run the minority. You see it in the NBA as well the elite players run the NBA union I imagine it is quite similar in the MLB union. 

I would argue that the NBA looks out for the middle to low tier players way more than baseball. They have 5 year max contracts and Max contracts do there is more money for the lower players. The veterans minimum also doesn't count against the salary cap, so teams don't mind signing older players over young players for salary reasons. 

On 11/29/2018 at 10:22 AM, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Ultimately, I'd rather live in a world where people are free to come to mutually beneficial agreements rather than one in which we restrict someone's access to money as a prophylactic against idiocy-- even if my favorite sports teams is the one to commit those acts.

It is legislated restraint - protecting the owners against their own impulses to overspend in order to make a big splash in free agency. We have an object lesson on our own club as to what happens when an owner does this, when he feels the need to "beat" other clubs for a specific free agent. Most owners are wising up both economically and in terms of the product on the field, and fewer are playing the long term big numbers contract game. Even the Yankees, once the main example of a team grabbing every meaningful free agent, have realized the folly of such a path. The last contract that they signed with Alex Rodriguez seems to have cured them.