• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Athletics identify waterfront location for modern new ballpark

1 minute ago, floplag said:

its met with resistance in the past, lack of any kind of financing help as i recall... dont know why now would be different. 
I hope something may change bu i suspect well be seeing them in Vegas, Portaland, Charlotte or maybe even Monterrey soon. 

Vegas would be nice. Then all they need is an NBA team. 

I think they try to stay in Oakland. They have the population to support two teams in the Bay, but Portland would be an equally great second choice.

I don't understand why people want to see Montreal again, but I suppose they have the population to support it.

The Rays are the only team I see relocating, so if they go to Nashville, which makes sense to me, and the league expands to Montreal and say Portland, that works for 4 divisions per league, 4 teams per division.

AL West

Seattle, Portland, Oakland, Los Angeles (max 3 hour travel, all PST games)

AL South

Colorado, Kansas City, Texas, Houston (max 3 hour travel, MST & CST)

AL Central

Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland (max 2 hour travel, all CST)

AL East

New York, Boston, Baltimore, Toronto (Max 2 hour travel, all EST)

NL West

San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Arizona (Max 2 hour travel, all PST)

NL South

Atlanta, Washington DC, Nashville, Florida (Max 2 hour travel, all EST)

NL Central

Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis (Max 2 hour travel, all CST)

NL East

Washington DC, New York, Montreal, Pittsburgh (Max 2 hour travel, all EST)

31 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wulff and the other guy are worth what?   Some $5-6 billion?   Why can't they front enough of the cost??????? 

When other state and local governments are giving funding to provide these stadiums. The owners will always be asking for some sort of handout. If you don't have to pay for it all why would you. I imagine that is what they are thinking. Chargers basically got a free stadium out of leaving San Diego.  Arte is trying to do the same thing with Anaheim or another city. 

The privately financed ballpark will anchor a new, vibrant, waterfront district that will feature housing, including affordable housing, restaurants, retail, small business space, and public gathering spaces. http://www.oaklandballpark.com #RootedInOakland

132 people are talking about this

The site of the old Coliseum -- home to four of the franchise's nine World Series titles and the last remaining baseball/football mixed-use stadium -- will be redeveloped into public park space. It will also include retail, housing and a reconstruction of the original Coliseum diamond. For baseball and I guess maybe, hopefully, gladiator fights. View image on Twitter

We've seen time and again, the A's don't have a supportive fan base.  Even when they're winning ball games, they're frequently outnumbers in their own stadium, which remains half empty, and that with reduced seating from the tarps covering the top deck.  Folks in the bay area really don't care about the A's nearly as much as they care about the Giants.  Plus, becuase of ownership, they remain at the very bottom of team payrolls by MLB.

So we have a team with a tiny payroll, in a town that doesn't support them, and they want to build a new stadium?  Sorry, not happening.

So where will they move?

Most reports actually indicate Portland would not support a professional baseball franchise.  They have the population, but lack the athletic culture.  Las Vegas would definitely support a team and the stadium would be funded there, so that's a possibility.  Montreal is on the table, which is weird because they hardly supported their franchise last time one was there.  As I understand, Nashville and San Antonio would both be solid locations as well. 

And while I see teams moving internationally in the future, I don't think we're there yet.  Ultimately, I think the A's will move to Vegas and the Rays will move to Montreal. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

We've seen time and again, the A's don't have a supportive fan base.  Even when they're winning ball games, they're frequently outnumbers in their own stadium, which remains half empty, and that with reduced seating from the tarps covering the top deck.  Folks in the bay area really don't care about the A's nearly as much as they care about the Giants.  Plus, becuase of ownership, they remain at the very bottom of team payrolls by MLB.

So we have a team with a tiny payroll, in a town that doesn't support them, and they want to build a new stadium?  Sorry, not happening.

So where will they move?

Most reports actually indicate Portland would not support a professional baseball franchise.  They have the population, but lack the athletic culture.  Las Vegas would definitely support a team and the stadium would be funded there, so that's a possibility.  Montreal is on the table, which is weird because they hardly supported their franchise last time one was there.  As I understand, Nashville and San Antonio would both be solid locations as well. 

And while I see teams moving internationally in the future, I don't think we're there yet.  Ultimately, I think the A's will move to Vegas and the Rays will move to Montreal. 

Dont discount Monterrey, it seems pretty clear southern expansion is forefront on the MLB front office mind. 
My money is on Monterrey and Montreal even over Vegas but Vegas has shown with the NHL it can and will support. 
I would guess As to Mexico, Rays to Montreal, keeps them mostly in same divisions travel wise and Vegas has to wait a little longer

Portland is trying really hard to get an MLB team. I can see Oakland trying for a stadium there, too, maybe exactly like this one, on their riverfront, but it would have to have a retractable roof because even in the summer, it rains there.

They only have one other professional sports franchise, which like San Antonio and Nashville, seems like a good fit. Most cities that size can support two teams, but not three, like Tampa.

The Bay Area currently has what 6? Giants, A's, Warriors, 49ers, Raiders, SJ Sharks. And no I don't count Soccer.

19 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Portland is trying really hard to get an MLB team. I can see Oakland trying for a stadium there, too, maybe exactly like this one, on their riverfront, but it would have to have a retractable roof because even in the summer, it rains there.

They only have one other professional sports franchise, which like San Antonio and Nashville, seems like a good fit. Most cities that size can support two teams, but not three, like Tampa.

The Bay Area currently has what 6? Giants, A's, Warriors, 49ers, Raiders, SJ Sharks. And no I don't count Soccer.

Portland does well with a minor league team, but it's doubtful they'll support a major league team.  The newest reports (I think I read them over a year ago) indicated that Vegas, San Antonio, Nashville and the Carolinas were all the highest potential landing spots. 

I wish only good things for Oakland fans in their long quest to find shelter away from the crumbling Coliseum complex. A modern home for the Athletics will mean more comfort for visiting fans. And better plumbing. A gentrified Oakland waterfront will work for the big spenders. Not sure why they put the giant port cranes in the renderings. Or the snow-flecked fir trees.