• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Willing to trade Canning?

Dtwncbad

I love the discussion.  I am torn because I dont think Canning is going to solve the vacancy at the top of the rotation, but the Angels will also need controllable mid rotation guys as some of these other pitchers cycle out of their control years.

If they keep Canning, I think they will still need to find a way to get somebody for the top of the rotation.  And how will they do that unless they are willing to trade other equally valuable prospects OR buck up to huge free agent money on a free agent. . .and free agent are most often over 30 years old.

So I can talk myself into specifically using Canning (with others) to pursue a top of the rotation pitcher.

Good discussion 

40 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So I can talk myself into specifically using Canning (with others) to pursue a top of the rotation pitcher.

Good discussion 

My opinion as well. If he is the main piece of a trade for a Kluber or a Syndergaard, I'd be okay moving him.

42 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Canning is a likely quality ML starter with full years of control and options. It's hard for me to give that up unless I'm getting the missing piece and I don't think we're there yet

I get your point but I believe the Angels should not operate like a small or mid market sized team where they are trying to have that one year that they have all the pieces lined up "going for it". . .

I believe they should be pursuing the best players they can even if they still project to not be stacked for a World Series run.

The discipline (for me) is make moves that make sense.  That means don't gut the farm for a 33 yr old in a walk year.

The Angels have a few "missing pieces."  The reality is they may not have a roster without an obvious missing piece for the next 20 years.

But I do know your chances of doing damage in a postseason is maximized if you have dominant starting pitching (obviously bullpen is also critical).  I think you can win a championship with one or two fairly obvious "missing pieces" that are NOT starting pitching.

So my opinion is maybe, just maybe, moving Canning to help land a workhorse #1/2 type (not in a walk year) isn't a bad way to elevate the team into one that is dangerous.

The Angels suffered for a number of years basically not having a farm.  You have to have a farm and now they do.  But the value if the farm is both graduating good players AND using prospects wisely in trades.

I would rather get the beast starter and be one #3 starter away than hold on to Canning and still need a workhorse beast.

This is a good place to restate that I know you can't get a beast starter for Canning alone.  It is just that when somebody trades away a top notch pitcher, they probably want somebody as solidly projectable as Canning in the return package.

I am not arguing to be right.  Just sharing my perspective.

That #1 can do damage in the post season but you have to get there first and to get there you need homegrown players who aren’t yet expensive. Once you get into June maybe it’s a closer or a big bat that you’re missing and there’s some available but you spent Canning and others to upgrade one rotation spot and started your countdown clock so you start chasing your own tail into Dipitoblivion. The next thing you know you’ve traded Jean Segura for Zach Grienke and you still don’t have a bullpen 

Canning next offseason or even at the deadline this season could be tradeable but Canning right now seems like something more useable than a #1 starter 

SP depth is a severe issue within the system. I don't think trading from an area of weakness to fill a current need is a good idea. If we are going to trade, it should be from our OF/INF depth. However, if we are at the trade deadline, and have a decent chance of making the playoffs, then I think you MIGHT consider trading Canning for a front-line pitcher type. 

The problem with trading Canning is to truly get that guy to start game one of the playoffs it’ll cost more than him or you’re getting a player at the end of his contract or he’s 32 years old.  He might be able to be the center piece of a Kluber trade, but that trade will probably include Barria or Heaney and probably Marsh or Jones.   Yes Kluber is legit, but he’s also entering his age 33 season.  

Canning might be able to get you Greinke but he’s entering his age 35 year and very expensive.

Canning might be able to get you deGrom but it’ll cost you a TON more.  

Canning might be able to get you Syndergaard, which if his shoulder is fine would be the best choice.  But has been pointed out to me, shoulder injuries aren’t really repairable.  

More than likely what Canning gets you is a guy like Stroman or Archer and you have to hope he bounces back.  I’m not a fan of that type of move.   

5 hours ago, Lou said:

how many of you have seen Canning pitch? 

I caught a few starts online. I agree with the "cerebral" tag that was applied to him - he's a smart pitcher and coupled with his stuff, has potential to be something really special - but what struck me most wasn't his upside or stuff so much, but how advanced he was. Don't get me wrong...he's got a great mix of pitches with good movement and command, but nothing that screamed dominant to me. It was his ability to execute a gameplan and adapt that set him apart. 

Greinke, even Bauer, might be a lofty comp (not impossible though) and something closer to a Dan Haren feels more accurate to me. A really good #3-caliber pitcher (over the duration of his whole career, which will be long), and a couple seasons that flirt with borderline #1 production.

Sort of like what happened with Mike Leake (only 6 minor league starts), I can see him stepping into a rotation and immediately giving you #4 level production - 25 GS, 4.30 ERA - the first couple of seasons.