• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will the Angels acquire in a trade

Stradling

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d rather sign Donaldson, keep the prospects and not have that much money tied down to Myers.  If they eat some of the contract I would consider it 

Yup. I really like Myers as a player. Extremely underrated and is only beginning to scratch the surface, due to freak, yet somehow consistent injuries. Once he puts it all together and stays healthy, I think he'll be a Paul Goldschmidt level stud. But the fact is, he's owed a lot of money, and hasn't managed to stay healthy during a period in his career in which he should have been healthy. It doesn't get any easier to stay on the field the older you get. 

He's a risk, one worth taking at a specific price. But when there are other alternatives on the market with the same sort of monstrous upside that wouldn't come with as much risk or cost as much, you go with the alternative. Josh Donaldson may outperform both Machado and Harper next year. Shoot, he may even outperform them over the next two, and yet he'll cost a small fraction of the price.

Just because someone is a good player, like Myers, doesn't mean a team should extend themselves beyond what is reasonable to attain them. But if that 22.5 million a year was only 12 million a year, and the prospects owed in return weren't any within the Angels top 20, then absolutely, I would do that. But almost assuredly, the Padres wouldn't. 

35 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Yup. I really like Myers as a player. Extremely underrated and is only beginning to scratch the surface, due to freak, yet somehow consistent injuries. Once he puts it all together and stays healthy, I think he'll be a Paul Goldschmidt level stud. But the fact is, he's owed a lot of money, and hasn't managed to stay healthy during a period in his career in which he should have been healthy. It doesn't get any easier to stay on the field the older you get. 

He's a risk, one worth taking at a specific price. But when there are other alternatives on the market with the same sort of monstrous upside that wouldn't come with as much risk or cost as much, you go with the alternative. Josh Donaldson may outperform both Machado and Harper next year. Shoot, he may even outperform them over the next two, and yet he'll cost a small fraction of the price.

Just because someone is a good player, like Myers, doesn't mean a team should extend themselves beyond what is reasonable to attain them. But if that 22.5 million a year was only 12 million a year, and the prospects owed in return weren't any within the Angels top 20, then absolutely, I would do that. But almost assuredly, the Padres wouldn't. 

The only way you get him for low level prospects would be to take his entire contract.  

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Would it make you happy if they raised the prices $1.00 a burger and then gave you a $1.00 coupon? 

You have an invisible coupon every day there.  It is cheap.

What I mean is other Fast food places like Del Taco, Burger King, McDonalds, Carls Jr, Jack in the Box etc all have apps with coupons and stuff like free food just for signing up.  Many of them have buy one great one free coupons all the time and free food by taking a survey on the receipt they give you with any purchase.  For months earlier in the year, McDonalds let you purchase any sandwich for $1 on their app and had free fry Fridays. Granted, a double quarter pounder with cheese is not as good as a double double but for only $1.08, it's certainly a better value.  Many times over the summer, I would use the app to get a $1 double quarter pounder with cheese and then make a separate purchase of like a $1 McChicken to get the free medium fries every Friday.  So I paid $2.16 and got a double quarter pounder with cheese, a McChicken and a medium fries.  That deal is over now but you get where I am coming from.

I get coupons in the mail like twice a week for a bunch of different places.  Never In N Out.  So yeah, what is a double double meal now?  $8?  I can get soo much more food for less anywhere else because of coupons. Just last week I had a bogo free coupon for a Super Star with cheese.  I spent a little over $6.  That's so much more bang for your buck.  Pretty darn tasty too. 

15 hours ago, Lou said:

At that price, I'd prefer a guy that can put up an OPS higher than .800

15 hours ago, Stradling said:

I’d rather sign Donaldson, keep the prospects and not have that much money tied down to Myers.  If they eat some of the contract I would consider it 

It’s definitly all up for debate.  The Angels have so many needs that the team could go in basically any direction. 

McDonalds app just informed me that because the Bruins scored first, I get a free 6pc chicken nuggets with any purchase of a $1 or more.  Another coupon is for a free Big Mac with any purchase of $1 or more because USC got 3 sacks.  Those are the kinds of deals that will get me to leave the house and drive down the street.  I'll be spending $2.16 and getting a lot of food.  In N Out can't compare with that.  Anyway, I am derailing the thread.  I am sticking with Ivan Nova as the next guy Eppler trades for.

25 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

McDonalds app just informed me that because the Bruins scored first, I get a free 6pc chicken nuggets with any purchase of a $1 or more.  Another coupon is for a free Big Mac with any purchase of $1 or more because USC got 3 sacks.  Those are the kinds of deals that will get me to leave the house and drive down the street.  I'll be spending $2.16 and getting a lot of food.  In N Out can't compare with that.  Anyway, I am derailing the thread.  I am sticking with Ivan Nova as the next guy Eppler trades for.

I don’t know man.  Is it really fair to compare a place when you’re using coupons ? A double double combo vs a regular Big Mac combo.  It’s about the same price isn’t it ?

Gyorko would be a great fit. To a slightly lesser degree, Jose Martinez could be an option too and might be roster-crunched off St. Louis. 
Cardinals could use some help in the pen, so I could see something like one of Parker/Bedrosian/Alvarez/Robles shipped off for Gyorko/Martinez. 

Gyorko is set to make $13m this season - with $5m of it being paid by the Padres. 
He has a $1m buyout or $13m team option for next season, so a deal such as Gyorko for Parker (est. $3.1m arb.) would be a financially efficient deal for both clubs. 

For the last three seasons, he's averaged a .259/.331/.463/.794 slash, with an OPS+ of 111.
In this time, he's averaged 16 doubles, 20 homers, and 43 walks to 93 strikeouts over 125 G/440 PA. 
In that time, vs. LHP, he's managed a slash of .294/.364/.512/.876 in 379 plate appearances, and the Angels struggled greatly against lefties last season.
His power has been slowly trending downwards, but his K% has as well, and his BB% has been increasing.
Defensively, he's mostly played 3B/2B, but there's been a few games at SS/1B as well, and he's for the most part a decent defender.

Martinez on the other hand is absolutely awful with the glove, but is still pre-arbitration, so he'd have no affect on payroll. 
Capable of playing a little bit of 1B, and possibly a few games in LF strategically, he has posted a .306/.369/.478/.847 (127 OPS+) slash the last two seasons.
Something like Jose Alvarez or Cam Bedrosian and perhaps a #15-#30 org-ranked prospect would probably be reasonable. He also has two options remaining.

24 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Gyorko would be a great fit. To a slightly lesser degree, Jose Martinez could be an option too and might be roster-crunched off St. Louis. 
Cardinals could use some help in the pen, so I could see something like one of Parker/Bedrosian/Alvarez/Robles shipped off for Gyorko/Martinez.

Parker for Gyroko alone would be, as the baseball lingo goes, like a touchdown in the bottom of the ninth for a perfect 300.