Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

Merrifield trade package


Dtwncbad

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

An article reported it would cost the Pirates 3 prospects to get Merrifield and suggested the right price would be right handers Keller and Burdi, and SS Tucker.

Anyone want to take a crack at the equivalent in Angel prospects?

Jahmai Jones, Luis Rengifo, and Willam Jerez would be an example. In my opinion you're better off just holding onto all three and using Rengifo instead in terms of a value play. I like Merrifield but he has a high price tag for his overall impact. You could maybe exchange Thaiss for Rengifo and that would make it a little more palatable, but not by much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It is dead right now.  You would think there would at least be some meaty rumors.  Crickets.

And this is party the problem.  There are plenty or rumors about the real contenders and those who want to be, it would seem we are in neither group.  
I know i know the Angels notoriously have kept things quiet, but the other teams arent as stealthy.  There are a lot guys obviously on the block, and a lot of teams being mentioned as talking to them. 
WE just dropped 2 major leaguers for... something potential in a few years maybe.
I know the hot stove is barely heating up but man oh man i dont feel like our pilot light is even lit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jahmai Jones is, what, a year away? He's got a 60 hit tool with gap power and a 60 run; if he can play even average 2B, he's a faster Howie Kendrick with more walks. I wouldn't mess with that even if it means punting a little on 2019. Or you can sign Donaldson if he'll accept a 1-year, high AAV deal and give yourself an extra year to figure out what you have with Jones, Rengifo & Fletcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would note that the reason Merrifield can even command such a price is mostly due to the fact that he is still in pre-arbitration (1 year) with three years of arbitration control after that which makes him an inexpensive payroll add overall.

Again I like the player but not the price. Sending Jones or Rengifo just does not make sense to me but that is the type of value the Royals will want in return. Merrifield is definitely in the category of a finishing piece and he is also in the category of a "nice-to-have" not a superstar player. It makes evaluating his worth tricky. Probably the reason why the Royals keep talking about retaining him because they cannot really find anyone ready to pay the price he has.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jessecrall said:

Jahmai Jones is, what, a year away? He's got a 60 hit tool with gap power and a 60 run; if he can play even average 2B, he's a faster Howie Kendrick with more walks. I wouldn't mess with that even if it means punting a little on 2019. Or you can sign Donaldson if he'll accept a 1-year, high AAV deal and give yourself an extra year to figure out what you have with Jones, Rengifo & Fletcher.

So i dont know a whole lot about jones. In terms of when he'll be ready and all that. But I agree totally.

We arent 1 or two guys away. No need to gut the farm right now for 2019. Im all for trades, more so free agent signings. But unless its for a bonafide long term fix, I vote stay the current course. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

So i dont know a whole lot about jones. In terms of when he'll be ready and all that. But I agree totally.

We arent 1 or two guys away. No need to gut the farm right now for 2019. Im all for trades, more so free agent signings. But unless its for a bonafide long term fix, I vote stay the current course. 

Think I got the wrong link there sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are undervaluing Merrifield. The last two years he has combined for a 114 OPS+, .347 OBP, and 9.3 WAR. And he has 4 years of club control left.

He is probably worth any three prospects not named Adell. If you could get him for a package of Suarez, Rengifo and Marsh, you gotta give it serious consideration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2018 at 11:00 AM, jessecrall said:

Jahmai Jones is, what, a year away? He's got a 60 hit tool with gap power and a 60 run; if he can play even average 2B, he's a faster Howie Kendrick with more walks. I wouldn't mess with that even if it means punting a little on 2019. Or you can sign Donaldson if he'll accept a 1-year, high AAV deal and give yourself an extra year to figure out what you have with Jones, Rengifo & Fletcher.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jones regarded as a 60 hit tool.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2018 at 2:06 PM, wopphil said:

You guys are undervaluing Merrifield. The last two years he has combined for a 114 OPS+, .347 OBP, and 9.3 WAR. And he has 4 years of club control left.

He is probably worth any three prospects not named Adell. If you could get him for a package of Suarez, Rengifo and Marsh, you gotta give it serious consideration. 

 

Yep.

Good BA, OBP, league leading stolen bases, great defense, versatility, plus some  decent pop. This guy is a gem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...