• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yan Gomes? Matching up with CLE?

totdprods

Rosenthal reports Indians are scrambling to move him to clear salary and add young players.

All-Star in ‘18 with 2.6 WAR, 26 doubles, 16 homers, .266/.313/.449/.762, OPS+ of 103. 35% CS%. Due $7m in 2019, $9m option in ‘20, $11m option in ‘21.

This feels like an Eppler move. Someone who could be in their walk year. Won’t cost quite as much due to salary commitments. Good enough defense, good enough offense.

Perhaps Briceno would be included, and someone who is due to be added to the 40-man tomorrow? With Brantley expected to sign elsewhere, maybe the Indians have interest in Calhoun? Indians save a few long term bucks now and take on some short-term cash to help the Angels? Kipnis or Alonso also fit some Angels needs. Eppler likes settling at least one need quickly each offseason.

Would Rengifo, Suarez, Briceno, and Calhoun be enough for Gomes and Carrasco? Could the Angels answer the Paxton deal by landing Kluber? Could see something brewing here.

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Rosenthal reports Indians are scrambling to move him to clear salary and add young players.

All-Star in ‘18 with 2.6 WAR, 26 doubles, 16 homers, .266/.313/.449/.762, OPS+ of 103. 35% CS%. Due $7m in 2019, $9m option in ‘20, $11m option in ‘21.

This feels like an Eppler move. Someone who could be in their walk year. Won’t cost quite as much due to salary commitments. Good enough defense, good enough offense.

Perhaps Briceno would be included, and someone who is due to be added to the 40-man tomorrow? With Brantley expected to sign elsewhere, maybe the Indians have interest in Calhoun? Indians save a few long term bucks now and take on some short-term cash to help the Angels? Kipnis or Alonso also fit some Angels needs. Eppler likes settling at least one need quickly each offseason.

Would Rengifo, Suarez, Briceno, and Calhoun be enough for Gomes and Carrasco? Could the Angels answer the Paxton deal by landing Kluber? Could see something brewing here.

Yeah Yan Gomes has been on my radar ever since Cleveland said they are willing to move players to cut payroll. Pretty expensive contract so I can’t see the Indians asking for a ton back for him. I don’t think the trade you proposed gets it done for both players. They would want back a top prospect I’m sure if they are parting with Carrasco 

Just now, TroutField said:

Yeah Yan Gomes has been on my radar ever since Cleveland said they are willing to move players to cut payroll. Pretty expensive contract so I can’t see the Indians asking for a ton back for him. I don’t think the trade you proposed gets it done for both players. They would want back a top prospect I’m sure if they are parting with Carrasco 

Eppler snagging Carrasco ($9.5m) and Gomes ($9m) would quickly shore up two positions without blowing budget. Both could walk after ‘19, so he could recoup some losses at the deadline if the Angels fall out of it too. Rengifo and Suarez both are prospects who need to be added and both arguably have blown past any expectations of what they’d accomplish in the minors. I agree the Angels would need to chip in more, and as I said, Briceno could fit into that equation too. He’s also a prospect who had arguably exceeded expectations too. All three could be sell-high prospects. 

One of Jones/Marsh/Thaiss, Rengifo, Suarez, Briceno for Carrasco and Gomes? Maybe the Indians have interest in Calhoun or Parker to fill some of the void left by Brantley and Miller, and open up more money for the Angels to shop via FA?

Kluber and Carrasco will cost us Adell, so probably not unless Eppler is sacrificing Jo for the ace (possible).

Gomes would be an okay pick if you wanted to avoid a commitment but I'd rather just turn around and re-sign Maldonado who is a better pitch-framer and defender than Yan. Gomes has a bit better offense but nothing strikingly improved.

6 minutes ago, ettin said:

Kluber and Carrasco will cost us Adell, so probably not unless Eppler is sacrificing Jo for the ace (possible).

Gomes would be an okay pick if you wanted to avoid a commitment but I'd rather just turn around and re-sign Maldonado who is a better pitch-framer and defender than Yan. Gomes has a bit better offense but nothing strikingly improved.

Carrasco won't cost Adell. He's a FA at end of year. Gomes could be included to help Cleveland save some money and round out the value of whomever is being exchanged prospect-wise.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Carrasco won't cost Adell. He's a FA at end of year. Gomes could be included to help Cleveland save some money and round out the value of whomever is being exchanged prospect-wise.

Carrasco has an option for 2020 and barring a serious injury they will exercise it so he has two years of control and he is quite inexpensive.

Basically Adell has approximately $55M in surplus value right now. Carlos has approximately the same value. They will certainly ask for him if we try.

4 minutes ago, ettin said:

Carrasco has an option for 2020 and barring a serious injury they will exercise it so he has two years of control and he is quite inexpensive.

Basically Adell has approximately $55M in surplus value right now. Carlos has approximately the same value. They will certainly ask for him if we try.

Agree that he'd cost one of Adell or Canning.  He's cheap and low risk in that the second year is an option for 9.5m.  He's also really good.  More reliable than Paxton for sure.  

I think it would be Canning, Rengifo and someone like Joe Gatto.  

This offseason feels strange. We are use to Eppler coming out, guns ablaze, filling the holes in the team early and often. So far this offseason, he's been silent, in fact all of MLB has been silent with the exception of Dipoto and his trade partners.

It feels like there's a bit of mistrust between teams, agents and players after last offseason, and most everyone is sort of trying to feel the whole situation out. Will teams again present a united front to drive free agent prices down? Will players and agents look to strike quick to avoid the market fall out like last year?

No one really knows. 

My guess is that there has been a lot of dialogue between the Angels and everyone else, and while it has been productive, all sides are allowing the market to develop before revisiting anything. My guess is we're in for another long, slow moving market, just like last year but with more money being doled out.

I don't think we'll see the market erupt until late December/early January.

9 hours ago, ettin said:

I didn't catch Carrasco's option...agree that it brings his cost way more up. I still don't think the Angels necessarily have to give up Adell or even Canning in order to get him though. 

I still think one of Jones/Marsh/Ward/Thaiss, Suarez, and Rengifo for Gomes and Carrasco would be a pretty fair offer. Maybe a low-level 4th prospect lotto pick with upside - Deveaux, Yan, etc. Indians save some money and get three legit prospects all bordering Top 100 status, Angels fill two needs very quickly and only use up about half their spending money, and arguably sell 'high' on the prospects they give up, and save themselves some 40-man space. They could still nab a FA LHP SP (Happ?), a vet reliever (Herrera?), and a versatile vet IF (Harrison?) depth and call it an offseason, depending on which SP they tender contracts to or if they trade off any RP. 

SP: Carrasco, Skaggs, Happ, Barria, Heaney - with Canning, Shoemaker, Sandoval, and both Felix and Luis Pena as depth
RP: Herrera, Parker, Bedrosian, Alvarez, Anderson, Buttrey, Robles 
Line-up: Calhoun, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Pujols, Simmons, Cozart, Gomes, Harrison
Bench: Smith, Fletcher, JMF/Walsh, Hermosillo/Bourjos (Maybe still try and pull off a trade for Pirela/Villanueva from SDG for the CIF role)

That would be a pretty solid offseason without breaking the bank or killing the farm, setting up both the '19 and '20 teams nicely.
And even if you take Carrasco out of it...Gomes seems like a likely target, as does Kipnis for the left-handed hitting IF platoon with Cozart, Pujols, and Fletcher. Maybe even 4th OF to a degree. Something like Suarez, Gatto for Kipnis and Gomes wouldn't be terrible.