• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Suzuki to Nats...

floplag

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The people downplaying this don’t get it.   There was a 2 WAR catcher for about $5 million.   When you have a budget it’s signings like this that fit nicely at this price when you have this many holes to fill.  

i was about to post something similar but i let it go, this is far more significant than people are playing it out to be.
He was the cornerstone of all the budget conscious plans.  Without him were looking at spending possibly twice as much, or nothing at all.   

You meow now, but i wonder what new emote well need when we hit opening day without upgrading the position.   

He could also be less good in 2019.  That is a possibility guys.  He’s an older catcher with a pretty inconsistent track record.

I would have been fine with getting him.  I also don’t give a shit that we didn’t. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The people downplaying this don’t get it.   There was a 2 WAR catcher for about $5 million.   When you have a budget it’s signings like this that fit nicely at this price when you have this many holes to fill.  

There is still the option to spend a little more to get (probably) better production. Our offense could use the boost a Ramos or Grandal would provide 

They could also be looking to get someone via trade.  It’s probably best to not sign a FA just cause that’s what’s available.  The band aid contract is not a great thing. 

Honestly, how many of you had Maldonado on the radar when the Angels got him ? I suspect that Eppler will be looking for something similar.   We’re so early into the offseason, Let’s see what happens after the rule v draft this week.  I think it’s tough to get worked up about anything before they’ve even made any moves. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

They could also be looking to get someone via trade.  It’s probably best to not sign a FA just cause that’s what’s available.  The band aid contract is not a great thing. 

Honestly, how many of you had Maldonado on the radar when the Angels got him ? I suspect that Eppler will be looking for something similar.   We’re so early into the offseason, Let’s see what happens after the rule v draft this week.  I think it’s tough to get worked up about anything before they’ve even made any moves. 

I agree but if you can get a decent productive player without giving up talent. 

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Of course they could, but the trade discussion here generally go south really quickly.   
Im not sure i see many trade options that would be as productive, at least not ones we would be willing to pay for prospect wise.   
Regardless he was a solid option that went relatively cheaply in comparison to his production and didnt cost us anyone off the farm to hurt the building process. 

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

Of course they could, but the trade discussion here generally go south really quickly.   
Im not sure i see many trade options that would be as productive, at least not ones we would be willing to pay for prospect wise.   
Regardless he was a solid option that went relatively cheaply in comparison to his production and didnt cost us anyone off the farm to hurt the building process. 

Like I said, on paper it probably would have  been fine.  In reality, we’ll find out from a far.  I honestly don’t have a good grasp on the 2nd and 3rd levels of catchers around baseball so I can’t say really what’s out there.  It’s the baseball ops guys job to know about these players.  I don’t lack faith that somewhere in the league there’s a guy who probably could be a starter and who’s buried by other guys.  This type of player is probably not massively valued.  It’s literally Epplers job to figure this out.  I think he probably has the same odds of being successful as Suzuki does of being a good signing.  Have some faith.  It’s not even thanksgiving. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Like I said, on paper it probably would have  been fine.  In reality, we’ll find out from a far.  I honestly don’t have a good grasp on the 2nd and 3rd levels of catchers around baseball so I can’t say really what’s out there.  It’s the baseball ops guys job to know about these players.  I don’t lack faith that somewhere in the league there’s a guy who probably could be a starter and who’s buried by other guys.  This type of player is probably not massively valued.  It’s literally Epplere job to figure this out.  I think he probably has the same odds of being successful as Suzuki does of being a good signing.  Have some faith.  It’s not even thanksgiving. 

Its hard to have faith for me right now, i fully admit that.   I hope i am proven wrong.   
I dont think well do anything at all till after the rule 5 draft to see what can be had there before moving on. 

I think Ramos is more likely now, as there aren't that many Catcher needy teams out there.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/c/sort/WARBR/order/true

OK, so... three of the top 5 catchers by WAR in 2018 are available (Incl. Realmuto). A few teams who are trying to be competitive, but had sub-par production from Catcher last year are:

Nationals, Astros, Red Sox, Braves and Angels.

IF the Nationals are done, now with Suzuki, it leaves 4 teams for three guys, really, in Realmuto, Ramos, and Grandal.

Grandal may also go back to the Dodgers, and the Phillies could be in on one of those three. So say 4 teams on two guys, you've got a 50/50 shot.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I think Ramos is more likely now, as there aren't that many Catcher needy teams out there.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/c/sort/WARBR/order/true

OK, so... three of the top 5 catchers by WAR in 2018 are available (Incl. Realmuto). A few teams who are trying to be competitive, but had sub-par production from Catcher last year are:

Nationals, Astros, Red Sox, Braves and Angels.

IF the Nationals are done, now with Suzuki, it leaves 4 teams for three guys, really, in Realmuto, Ramos, and Grandal.

Grandal may also go back to the Dodgers, and the Phillies could be in on one of those three. So say 4 teams on two guys, you've got a 50/50 shot.

I was going to say something similar.

Seems like Suzuki being off the market means the Angels are more likely to pursue Ramos, and I would rather have Ramos.

I dont see the Angels trading for Realmuto, even though he is worth pursuing.

If the Angels miss on Ramos, Realmuto and Grandal, then they will scrape up a decent defensive catcher on the cheap and use the money to improve the team another way.

That is why I am saying I am hardly heartbroken that Kurt Suzuki is signed.