• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mathis Signs Again!

gurn67

On 11/15/2018 at 8:15 PM, stormngt said:

"Only Mike Scioscia would be so stupid and play Jeff Mathis"

I'll wager that he won't be starting.

Mathis, who turns 36 in March, is regarded as one of the game's top defensive catchers.

I still don't get this. This isn't true by any measurable statistic that I can find.

6 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Mathis, who turns 36 in March, is regarded as one of the game's top defensive catchers.

I still don't get this. This isn't true by any measurable statistic that I can find.

Ask Greinke, Haren and Weaver.   All three of said he’s the best catcher they have played with. 

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Sup Troll Daddy.

I only say it because it’s true.   Us jackasses think we know everything about the game because we look at stats and watch on tv.  We’ve all seen his stats and they scream he shouldn’t be playing.  He just got not a minor league contract, not a one year deal, but a two year deal, that will mean he will play 17 years in the majors.   So the old nonsense of “only Scioscia would play him” or the praise bestowed upon Dipoto for “getting a living, breathing human” in exchange for Mathis when he was traded has been proven wrong for about a decade.  There is something he does that keeps him employed and creates some really good praise from some damn good pitchers. 

9 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I hope he is not starting at the age of 36.  Even has a halo he started just over half the games.  

There is a problem with measurable statistics.  There are some variables in sports that measured. Stats are good but should not be viewed as gospel.   If all the starting pitchers felt he was a good catcher then maybe we should take their word for it.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I only say it because it’s true.   Us jackasses think we know everything about the game because we look at stats and watch on tv.  We’ve all seen his stats and they scream he shouldn’t be playing.  He just got not a minor league contract, not a one year deal, but a two year deal, that will mean he will play 17 years in the majors.   So the old nonsense of “only Scioscia would play him” or the praise bestowed upon Dipoto for “getting a living, breathing human” in exchange for Mathis when he was traded has been proven wrong for about a decade.  There is something he does that keeps him employed and creates some really good praise from some damn good pitchers. 

Just curious.  Has anyone compared how the Angel's pitching staff just before and after Mathis left?

9 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Defensive metrics for catchers are highly unreliable. I would not pay any attention to them at all. 

56 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Just curious.  Has anyone compared how the Angel's pitching staff just before and after Mathis left?

• 2007: 4.23 ERA, 5th in AL (Napoli caught most)
  • 2008: 3.99 ERA, 3rd in AL (Mathis caught most)
  • 2009: 4.45 ERA, 9th in AL (Napoli caught most)
  • 2010: 4.04 ERA, 6th in AL (Mathis caught most)
  • 2011: 3.57 ERA, 1st in AL (Mathis caught most, Mathis’ last year)
  • 2012: 4.02 ERA, 8th in AL 
  • 2013: 4.23 ERA, 11th in AL
  • 2014: 3.58 ERA, 7th in AL
  • 2015: 3.94 ERA, 6th in AL
  • 2016: 4.28 ERA, 12th in AL
  • 2017: 4.20 ERA, 6th in AL
  • 2018: 4.15 ERA, 8th in AL

Just using team ERA as a measurement, not a whole of variation. Obviously, they’ve been worse since, but the Angels have also been poor overall the last decade. 

3 hours ago, totdprods said:
  • 2007: 4.23 ERA, 5th in AL (Napoli caught most)
  • 2008: 3.99 ERA, 3rd in AL (Mathis caught most)
  • 2009: 4.45 ERA, 9th in AL (Napoli caught most)
  • 2010: 4.04 ERA, 6th in AL (Mathis caught most)
  • 2011: 3.57 ERA, 1st in AL (Mathis caught most, Mathis’ last year)
  • 2012: 4.02 ERA, 8th in AL 
  • 2013: 4.23 ERA, 11th in AL
  • 2014: 3.58 ERA, 7th in AL
  • 2015: 3.94 ERA, 6th in AL
  • 2016: 4.28 ERA, 12th in AL
  • 2017: 4.20 ERA, 6th in AL
  • 2018: 4.15 ERA, 8th in AL

Just using team ERA as a measurement, not a whole of variation. Obviously, they’ve been worse since, but the Angels have also been poor overall the last decade. 

I dont know what would be considered a significance difference or not but isnt a quarter point or half point significant?

Doesnt really matter because there would be a lot of variables that would prevent any causal analysis 

Agreed about defensive stats for catchers being a bit unreliable. A lot of them are based on factors outside of the catcher’s control as well. That said, Mathis has never really looked like an elite defender to me (super subjective I know), and his offensive skill set doesn’t merit such a long career. So... could it be that people just like him? Like pitchers enjoy working with him, he’s good in the clubhouse, coaches like having him around, etc...? I mean no team really expects a ton of value from their backup catcher, so why not get a guy that is serviceable in that role that your coaching staff and pitchers will have a solid relationship with?

8 hours ago, Pujols4MVP said:

Mathis threw out 36% of runners last season. Since 2012 he's been one of the best at throwing runners out, after leaving the Angels he became an Ace at throwing people out.

Maybe because he wasn't playing much? He sure got a chance to rest his arm after he left here.

On 11/18/2018 at 8:37 AM, stormngt said:

Ill say this. I really hope hes in the conversation for a coaching spot when he hangs it up. Say what you will, but his rep throughout MLB says something.