• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Harper Hypothetical

Dtwncbad

6 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I’m sorry am I the only one who read the question? The hypothetical was both signed long term. I get it’s late but are people really saying they don’t want great players on this team?

I think we all want great players, but when you have two really expensive great players, and you have another expensive good player, and an expensive bad player and you will have to give Simmons and Ohtani contract extensions, it leaves very little to build a team with.  If we just took Trout and Harper, and gave them $70 million that is two guys getting 1/3 of a really large payroll of over $200 million.  Then you think of Upton at $25 million, and Simmons at $20 million, and that is ignoring Albert’s contract all together.  We will say Albert retires, so in 2021 with those four guys, we are looking at $120 million for four guys and if payroll is $210 million, we have $90 million for the other 21 guys.  I hope Canning and Ohtani can pitch a lot on the cheap.  

It would be a nightmare... Major League Baseball would require the Angels to play all their games at home at 4 p.m. so that the fans on the east coast could watch.  My season tickets would triple in price. You would be paying $35 for a beer.  Hotdogs would cost you $20.

41 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It would be a nightmare... Major League Baseball would require the Angels to play all their games at home at 4 p.m. so that the fans on the east coast could watch.  My season tickets would triple in price. You would be paying $35 for a beer.  Hotdogs would cost you $20.

Why on earth would the beer prices go down like that?! ?

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

Concession prices are set by what people are willing to pay to maximize revenue, regardless of much the team pays out in salary.

If the Angels had a $400 million payroll, would hot dogs be $200?  How many hot dogs would they sell at $200?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I think we all want great players, but when you have two really expensive great players, and you have another expensive good player, and an expensive bad player and you will have to give Simmons and Ohtani contract extensions, it leaves very little to build a team with.  If we just took Trout and Harper, and gave them $70 million that is two guys getting 1/3 of a really large payroll of over $200 million.  Then you think of Upton at $25 million, and Simmons at $20 million, and that is ignoring Albert’s contract all together.  We will say Albert retires, so in 2021 with those four guys, we are looking at $120 million for four guys and if payroll is $210 million, we have $90 million for the other 21 guys.  I hope Canning and Ohtani can pitch a lot on the cheap.  

Simmons is awesome. But at the end of this contract he will be 31 I would only offer him a 4 year contract I don’t want to be paying a 35 year old short stop 20 million a year. Also it’s a hypothetical question. In this hypothetical world I’d take a team full of 20 million dollar all stars and win a WS. It’s hypothetical it won’t happen. People are such downers to fun. It’s like if someone said hey hypothetically you won the 1 billion dollar lotto what would you do with it? And people’s responses here would be well I don’t know probably put it in the stock market some cds I might buy a used car. Enjoy the hypothetical is all I’m saying. 

23 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

People are such downers to fun. It’s like if someone said hey hypothetically you won the 1 billion dollar lotto what would you do with it? And people’s responses here would be well I don’t know probably put it in the stock market some cds I might buy a used car.

6f965e8418a37579814ccbb134c17c075de0eefb

Definitely. 

@ worth $30 million dollars.

35 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Simmons is awesome. But at the end of this contract he will be 31 I would only offer him a 4 year contract I don’t want to be paying a 35 year old short stop 20 million a year. Also it’s a hypothetical question. In this hypothetical world I’d take a team full of 20 million dollar all stars and win a WS. It’s hypothetical it won’t happen. People are such downers to fun. It’s like if someone said hey hypothetically you won the 1 billion dollar lotto what would you do with it? And people’s responses here would be well I don’t know probably put it in the stock market some cds I might buy a used car. Enjoy the hypothetical is all I’m saying. 

Yes, I know, I literally made the exact same comparison to winning the lotto in a very similar thread.  The point is if this hypothetical includes Arte saying, “fuck it” and cares very little about staying under the tax threshold, then yea, sign everyone.  In the real world, I would not spend $70 million on two players.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes, I know, I literally made the exact same comparison to winning the lotto in a very similar thread.  The point is if this hypothetical includes Arte saying, “F*ck it” and cares very little about staying under the tax threshold, then yea, sign everyone.  In the real world, I would not spend $70 million on two players.  

If Ohtani works out the way he should and no more injuries you will be paying that with two people. Right now we’re paying 65 million between Albert and Trout. 

5 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If Ohtani works out the way he should and no more injuries you will be paying that with two people. Right now we’re paying 65 million between Albert and Trout. 

Yea, so thinking that way, would you rather go after Harper or give that money to Ohtani?  Now obviously that requires a crystal ball, but if like you said if it works out that way, who would you rather give that money to? 

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, so thinking that way, would you rather go after Harper or give that money to Ohtani?  Now obviously that requires a crystal ball, but if like you said if it works out that way, who would you rather give that money to? 

But you just said you wouldn't want to give 70 million to two players. Now that it is Ohtani you are ok with it? 

I could actually see this happening.  Move the Calhoun contract, and possibly Cozart's as well.  Commit to Ward at 3B.  Savings about 25 million.  

Harper comes in, and it is the summer of 2002 all over again.  Tickets would be in very high demand, and jerseys and other related items would be flying off the shelves.  

Also, with Harper, Trout and Ohtani, Arte's advertising revenue would no doubt increase substantially.

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You didn’t answer my question.  

If everything works out like it should I’d prefer Ohtani because he can pitch. But if his arm is a dumpster fire after surgery and he’s strictly a DH I’d prefer Harper. But we have basically 4 years to find that out after his lost year next year on the mound. You didn’t answer my question. You said you don’t wanna pay two people 70 million. Do you now 10 plus minutes later feel like you are ok with it with Ohtani?

Heres a random hypothetical. Harper being a Boras client he will more than likely want a big contract but an opt out after year 1,2 or 3. Would you sign Harper to the big contract knowing that he will opt out after one of those years and just not resign him. Have him for a couple and then let him go? 

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I would not be happy committing that kind of money to Harper.  It would actually bum me out if Arte did so in that it would have to mean that Trout doesn't want to stay long term.  

you guys do know that the premise of this hypothetical situation is that we would be able to extend Trout as well....Don't you?

5 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If everything works out like it should I’d prefer Ohtani because he can pitch. But if his arm is a dumpster fire after surgery and he’s strictly a DH I’d prefer Harper. But we have basically 4 years to find that out after his lost year next year on the mound. You didn’t answer my question. You said you don’t wanna pay two people 70 million. Do you now 10 plus minutes later feel like you are ok with it with Ohtani?

Heres a random hypothetical. Harper being a Boras client he will more than likely want a big contract but an opt out after year 1,2 or 3. Would you sign Harper to the big contract knowing that he will opt out after one of those years and just not resign him. Have him for a couple and then let him go? 

If Ohtani's arm is shit then he can still be a first baseman or an outfielder, so he isn't simply a DH.  Also by the time we have to pay him Albert is gone as is Upton, so it is much more feasible.  Plus we will have a better idea of what the farm has matured into.  I don't give two shits about who Harper's agent is.  

To answer your question, I would feel much more comfortable giving Trout and Ohtani $70 million a year than take the risk of Harper.  I don't even hate Harper and if money wasn't an issue I would have no problem having him on the team.  That being said we don't know if his defense is going to continue to suck.  We don't know if the league switch will screw with him like it has others.  If you give Ohtani the extension and all of that money he has proven he is capable, as an Angel, in Angel Stadium in the American League.  

9 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I’m sorry am I the only one who read the question? The hypothetical was both signed long term. I get it’s late but are people really saying they don’t want great players on this team?

ok.  then we should sign both Harper, Machado and extend Trout and Simmons.  Trade for realmuto and extend him.  Trade for deGrom and extend him.  Sign Corbin and trade for Kluber.  Might as well trade for Bryant while we're at it and move him to 2b.  

I also heard there's this amazing two way player on planet Troutani that we've been scouting.  We should sign him too.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

ok.  then we should sign both Harper, Machado and extend Trout and Simmons.  Trade for realmuto and extend him.  Trade for deGrom and extend him.  Sign Corbin and trade for Kluber.  Might as well trade for Bryant while we're at it and move him to 2b.  

I also heard there's this amazing two way player on planet Troutani that we've been scouting.  We should sign him too.  

I only do these things if we have $40 million to spend this offseason.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Troutani the switch hitting, switch throwing pitcher/manager. Some say he's even able to DH in the national league