• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Non-Tender Thread

totdprods

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

If he were to put it together more consistently, a Marisnick, Trout, and Adell OF in 2020 could be nice.   Then move Upton to 1B in 2020?

That still leaves Marsh out, though.

I’m warming to the idea of moving Calhoun to free up money.

Realistically, he’s a 2 WAR, .700 OPS RF for $11m. Risky, but a platoon of any combo of Jay, Hermosillo, Marisnick, Grossman, Maybin should give you the same for half.

Of course, we tried that with Nava/Gentry and it failed, but I could see Eppler trying it again. Who knows, Eppler might already be envisioning Adell as moving quick enough to step in at first sign of trouble, and as such decided to move Kole now rather than try midseason.

34 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Realistically, he’s a 2 WAR, .700 OPS RF for $11m. Risky, but a platoon of any combo of Jay, Hermosillo, Marisnick, Grossman, Maybin should give you the same for half.

Of course, we tried that with Nava/Gentry and it failed, but I could see Eppler trying it again. Who knows, Eppler might already be envisioning Adell as moving quick enough to step in at first sign of trouble, and as such decided to move Kole now rather than try midseason.

I could see us moving Calhoun and rolling the dice on a Jabari Blash and/or Michael Hermosillo combo to start the season and then roll out Adell as soon as the Angels feel comfortable doing so. If Blash even comes close to reproducing his Minor League numbers Eppler will look like a genius. However, if both of them fall on their face, it could be an excruciating start to 2019.

40 minutes ago, totdprods said:

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

I could see us moving Calhoun and rolling the dice on a Jabari Blash and/or Michael Hermosillo combo to start the season and then roll out Adell as soon as the Angels feel comfortable doing so. If Blash even comes close to reproducing his Minor League numbers Eppler will look like a genius. However, if both of them fall on their face, it could be an excruciating start to 2019.

Im not sure ive seen anything in that list that gives us a 2 WAR, but im also not convinced Kole will either. 
Id love to see them maybe take a shot at Brantley or Marwin Gonzalez if they can clear that money, but i kinda doubt they re-invest in another high dollar OF if they do.  

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im not sure ive seen anything in that list that gives us a 2 WAR, but im also not convinced Kole will either. 
Id love to see them maybe take a shot at Brantley or Marwin Gonzalez if they can clear that money, but i kinda doubt they re-invest in another high dollar OF if they do.  

Marisinick had a 1.7 WAR Last year, it’s not hard to achieve with good defense. We need to improve the offensive production out of RF, IF they are rolling with Ward at 3rd and Cozart at 2nd.

I’m really digging Robbie Grossman as a quiet solution for RF. Never posted an OBP below .360 as a part-timer for the Twins. Decent power. His usual 60 walks in those three years would rank in the top for the Angels not named Trout. Still young, can play each OF position, decent defense.

5 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Marisinick had a 1.7 WAR Last year, it’s not hard to achieve with good defense. We need to improve the offensive production out of RF, IF they are rolling with Ward at 3rd and Cozart at 2nd.

i keep thinking what out of the box internal candidates might work.  its purely guessing but i wonder if someone like JMF might be an option out there as well.  Hes athletic enough to play a passable 2B so its not completely batty,,, then again it might be Cron at 3B all over again too. 

31 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Please sign Grossman, would solve the leadoff spot problem with his ability to draw walks.

I would think if we offered someone like Lund, Walsh, Way, or Hermosillo, or a Joe Gatto, Luis Pena type, they’d bite and save some money. 

Grossman’s Minnesota line would be a pretty realistic comparable to what Hermosillo might be capable of. The Twins get a comparable player with more control who costs less, and the Angels get an immediate actualization of what Hermosillo’s ceiling is likely to be, at its best. He’d cost more money and lose some roster flexibility, but not enough so it hurts the team, and by the time Grossman hits FA, they’ll have another internal option ready.

Grossman seems like the type of guy who could post up an unexpectedly solid .280/.380/.430/.810 once or twice, popping 20 HR.

3 hours ago, floplag said:

The problem with Brantley is that he has been a LF for the majority of his career. Not even sure he has the arm for RF (just off the top of my head). Gonzalez is a guy we could be considering as a multi-position type but he will require a multi-year commitment (as Brantley will too). If Adell is our future he will happen soon, perhaps as early as mid-season next year although I think he is a 2020 guy but who knows. Nothing should block him if the Angels plan to keep him. This is why Calhoun staying makes the most probable sense because of his contract structure and/or running out one of or a platoon of Blash/Hermosillo if Jo is really close to playing in 2019.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

The problem with Brantley is that he has been a LF for the majority of his career. Not even sure he has the arm for RF (just off the top of my head). Gonzalez is a guy we could be considering as a multi-position type but he will require a multi-year commitment (as Brantley will too). If Adell is our future he will happen soon, perhaps as early as mid-season next year although I think he is a 2020 guy but who knows. Nothing should block him if the Angels plan to keep him. This is why Calhoun staying makes the most probable sense because of his contract structure and/or running out one of or a platoon of Blash/Hermosillo if Jo is really close to playing in 2019.

stop saying Blash.  He sucks.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

stop saying Blash.  He sucks.  

Blash, Blash, Blash, Blash, Blash

1 hour ago, Lou said:

gracias

So far at the Major League level yes he does suck. Those Minor League numbers are something else though. I wouldn't give up on him yet but he does leave a sour taste in the mouth.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I'm guessing Blash's contact rate left a lot to be desired 

geeks? 

Blash had -0.7 WAR in 45 plate appearances.  

That would be -10.0 WAR over the course of a full season.  

His k rate was 53.3% which would mean he'd strike out over 300 times.  

his wRC+ was -3.  League avg is 100.  So he was 103% below avg.  

he and Trout combined make two replacement players.  

Should I keep going?