• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Non-Tender Thread

totdprods

The deadline is a few weeks away, but MLBTR dropped a list of candidates today.
www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/2018-non-tender-candidates.html

Interestingly, they did not list any potential Halos (Shoemaker, Ramirez, Tropeano. etc.) but I see plenty of names that could be of interest to Eppler, especially catchers. 
Even if they aren't non-tendered, Eppler might target these in trades.

Catchers:
Travis d'Arnaud - former 1st rounder
Chris Herrmann - vet with some versatility, flashes of decent production, and solid CS%
Caleb Joseph - strong hitter in minors, hasn't carried to bigs
Erik Kratz - ancient vet with a good arm and long career
Sandy Leon - switch hitter
James McCann - has a little bit of the good year/bad year curse, awful in '18
John Ryan Murphy - former Yankee farmhand, like Graterol and Arcia
Josh Phegley - good defense, light bat
Tony Wolters - hits left-handed, has spotted time around the diamond

Hitters:
Justin Bour, Delino DeShields, Hernan Perez (versatility) Aaron Altherr, Miguel Rojas (defense), Adam Duvall, Wilmer Flores, Avisail Garcia, Robbie Grossman (good OBP), Jake Marisnick (4th OF/Calhoun platoon?), Jonathan Schoop, Yangervis Solarte

Pitchers:
Matt Andriese (great versatility target), Tanner Roark (would shore up back of rotation), Chad Bettis, Brian Flynn, Sam Freeman, Bryan Mitchell (former Yankee), Chris Rusin (awful '18, solid beforehand)

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The deadline is a few weeks away, but MLBTR dropped a list of candidates today.
www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/2018-non-tender-candidates.html

Interestingly, they did not list any potential Halos (Shoemaker, Ramirez, Tropeano. etc.) but I see plenty of names that could be of interest to Eppler, especially catchers. 
Even if they aren't non-tendered, Eppler might target these in trades.

Catchers:
Travis d'Arnaud - former 1st rounder
Chris Herrmann - vet with some versatility, flashes of decent production, and solid CS%
Caleb Joseph - strong hitter in minors, hasn't carried to bigs
Erik Kratz - ancient vet with a good arm and long career
Sandy Leon - switch hitter batter's box
James McCann - has a little bit of the good year/bad year curse, awful in '18
John Ryan Murphy - former Yankee farmhand, like Graterol and Arcia
Josh Phegley - good defense, light bat
Tony Wolters - hits left-handed, has spotted time around the diamond

Hitters:
Justin Bour, Delino DeShields, Hernan Perez (versatility) Aaron Altherr, Miguel Rojas (defense), Adam Duvall, Wilmer Flores, Avisail Garcia, Robbie Grossman (good OBP), Jake Marisnick (4th OF/Calhoun platoon?), Jonathan Schoop, Yangervis Solarte

Pitchers:
Matt Andriese (great versatility target), Tanner Roark (would shore up back of rotation), Chad Bettis, Brian Flynn, Sam Freeman, Bryan Mitchell (former Yankee), Chris Rusin (awful '18, solid beforehand)

Fixed.

Definitely interesting names there. 

Travis D'Arnaud - Flashes of brilliance behind the plate come between bouts of inability.

Justin Bour - Only a year ago, he was more productive than Cron.

Jon Schoop - Would be fun to partner him with countryman and friend Andrelton Simmons as the double play combo. Only a year ago he was the the brightest up and coming 2B. Still no plate discipline, but tons and tons of power and solid defense. 

Yangervis Solarte - He has that Yankee connection and was very good in his time in San Diego. Would be an interesting UT. 

Matt Andriese - He can give you quality innings a variety of roles. Should cost nothing. 

Tanner Roark - Not a sexy option, but if for some reason the Angels spent 25 million on one pitcher, he could get your #5 spot solidified for cheap. 

Bryan Mitchell - Great stuff, hasn't translated in the majors like even I thought it would, and I dislike Yankee prospects.

4 hours ago, Lou said:

something tells me that you've been listening to your Bread albums again

Bread is my weakness when it comes to carbs.  

I think its funny that Tank pegged Ausmus as a pb&j guy.  

He went to Dartmouth.  Which makes him smart enough to be an in-n-out guy.  It also means he's smart enough to avoid the fries.  

Robbie Grossman is pretty intriguing. He’s quietly been a very productive piece for Minnesota, posting a .266/.371/.400/.771 slash the last three seasons - and he’s come pretty close to maintaining that line each year.

If you could free up Calhoun’s salary and swap him for a pitcher (Roark? Teheran?) and swing a deal for Grossman (Hermosillo?) it would make a lot of sense, and would draw some parallel to the Maldonado deal - flipping a prospect (Bandy) whose likely outcome matches what the current player is already producing. Hermosillo for Grossman.

The Braves gave up quite a bit of potential for Adam Duvall so they may not be keen on cutting bait on that deal already, but he’d be an interesting guy to fill the playing time Marte occupied. Eppler loves dealing with Atlanta too. 

Duvall has mostly played LF and some 1B, but he’s picked up a few innings at RF and 3B too. Not a terribly exciting player and he had a poor 2018, but his offensive ceiling and 2016-2017 stretch is comparable to what we dreamed Marte could have been capable of.

And before anyone says Cincy inflates his stats, he actually posted a higher OPS away vs. home, and hit lefties better.

2017: .924 OPS vs. lefties, .837 OPS away from Cincy

2016: .795 OPS vs. lefties, .817 OPS away

If he has enough defensive versatility to play RF, 1B, maybe the occasional appearance at 3B - even if just for half a game - he might be a great buy-low to round out the bench and replace Jefry.

While I’m a believer in Shoemaker and think he’ll be solid again in ‘19, at least as a #4 type, I’ve envisioned a trade for a couple months now where the Angels swap him back to his hometown Tigers for James McCann. Tigers get a likely stable arm to eat innings as they rebuild, and as Shoe rebuilds his value, and the Angels get a catcher who is very much comparable to Martin Maldonado. The money involved comes close to evening out as well. 

McCann has been a full-time catcher for four years now, and has the Santana on year/off year curse. Last year was bad. 

His 4-yr average is .240/.288/.366/.654 with an OPS+ of 77, Maldonado gave us .222/.279/.354/.634 with an OPS+ of 72.

McCann posted a 38% CS% in those 4 years, Maldonado was 42% as an Angel.

Even though Jake Marisnick had a great ‘17 season with an .815 OPS in 259 PA, he still has a paltry .232/.284/.393/.677 slash across five seasons. Despite this, he has still raked in the WAR; as a bench player, he’s still managed 1.6 - 2.3 WAR every season, in large part to fantastic defense and base running, something Eppler prioritizes. 

He might get roster crunched off the Astros, who Eppler has paired up with on past trades despite being in-division. 

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

He went to Dartmouth.  Which makes him smart enough to be an in-n-out guy.  It also means he's smart enough to avoid the fries.  

stephen colbert middle finger GIF

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

King's Hawaiian Rolls are my weakness with carbs.   Well, that and Herseys

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Even though Jake Marisnick had a great ‘17 season with an .815 OPS in 259 PA, he still has a paltry .232/.284/.393/.677 slash across five seasons. Despite this, he has still raked in the WAR; as a bench player, he’s still managed 1.6 - 2.3 WAR every season, in large part to fantastic defense and base running, something Eppler prioritizes. 

He might get roster crunched off the Astros, who Eppler has paired up with on past trades despite being in-division. 

If he were to put it together more consistently, a Marisnick, Trout, and Adell OF in 2020 could be nice.   Then move Upton to 1B in 2020?

That still leaves Marsh out, though.