• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zack Greinke?

totdprods

I like the idea @totdprods, but I doubt the Angels have interest in a reunion with Greinke. And I dont think there is any chance you get Ray as part of a deal (let alone Ray and Lamb). I think more realistically, Arizona would agree to take Calhoun and kick in $15-20 mil. That makes Greinke a 3/75-80 deal, and that is probably still too risky for a pitcher his age.

But anyone who pans proposals like this is just setting themselves up for disappointment. There is no such thing as a perfect free agent or a perfect trade. I am guessing we see at least one deal along these lines as part of the Angels' offseason.

Looking at it further, I reiterate that there is no chance Arizona includes Ray in a Greinke deal. But if they were willing to do so, I'd not only be agreeable to taking on more of Greinke's salary, but also sending back prospects. If you could score Greinke and Ray for an effective cost of $30 mil per year while shedding Calhoun and keeping Adell/Canning, that would be something you have to seriously consider.

@wopphil by no means would I expect Lamb or Ray thrown in per se. Should they be involved, the Angels definitely do include some significant prospects in the deal, but I see it more as something like Ward, Suarez, Rivera, and Deveaux for Ray and Lamb. Greinke and his money, to whichever degree, is just the catalyst that drives it and rounds out the deal. 

11 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Looking at it further, I reiterate that there is no chance Arizona includes Ray in a Greinke deal. But if they were willing to do so, I'd not only be agreeable to taking on more of Greinke's salary, but also sending back prospects. If you could score Greinke and Ray for an effective cost of $30 mil per year while shedding Calhoun and keeping Adell/Canning, that would be something you have to seriously consider.

Exactly. There’s enough room around the edges I feel for it to merit some exploration. The Diamondbacks have plenty of interesting pieces to work with aside from Greinke, a need to shed money and re-tool, the Angels do have some redundancy on their farm they can deal from and some money to work with, and Calhoun to his home state of Arizona and RF does work in theory for them.

If the D'Backs would include one or more of their top prospects like Duplantier, Clarke or Smith, The Angels should do it.  Any of those guys would be right up their as some of our best. Since Arte is being tight with the purse strings, Eppler could find some other ways to shed salary depending of course how much Arizona is willing to eat.

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

If the D'Backs would include one or more of their top prospects like Duplantier, Clarke or Smith, The Angels should do it.  Any of those guys would be right up their as some of our best. Since Arte is being tight with the purse strings, Eppler could find some other ways to shed salary depending of course how much Arizona is willing to eat.

If Arizona only area minimal cash, say $15m (leaving Greinke at $30m AAV), took Calhoun (saving us $10m), and included Duplantier, is it worth it?

“The Diamondbacks are “aggressively shopping” righty Zack Greinke, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). With $95.5MM of salary still due over the next three years, he’s an expensive option. But the deal is at least cabined in length, and the Snakes have a good shot at getting out from under most of it. (Alternatively, the club might be able to pay down a larger portion and recoup some talent in a swap — or go in the other direction and include additional talent to make the whole contract go away.) It’s still largely unclear how things will shake out, but the fact that the Arizona organization is looking for a taker certainly makes a trade seem quite plausible.”

Nightengale event floats the possibility of Goldschmidt and Greinke being packaged together. Could see Houston involved if that’s the case. It’d make them quite dangerous before they start losing more talent, and they have the money and farm to play with.

The more I think about it, the stronger I feel that the Angels will and should solve at least the top half of the rotation by way of trade, and not FA. 

The money, competition, and risk involved for the top three arms of Corbin, Keuchel, and Eovaldi just seem way too risky and short-sighted. 

That’s not to say they absolutely will trade for a frontline arm, they might simply sign two mid/low tier and call it a day, but I really don’t think the big three FA SP is the way to go.

I think this is a great opportunity to get a solid pitcher, plus fill another hole. If Goldschmidt is being packaged for an additional 1 year,  Jake lamb, or Robby Ray, than you gotta make this deal happen. 

AZ gonna pay up to 10 mil a year according to USA Today’s Nightengale. I’d give up any of our prospects not named Jo Adell or Griffin Canning.

Ray, Goldy and Lamb all have good trade value on an individual basis.  I can't imagine them including those guys in a Greinke trade just to get rid of his salary.  They could just eat some money and give him away without giving up players to do so.  Someone would take him at 3/75.  

Also, there is no way that the halos are taking on that much salary anyway.  

42 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Ray, Goldy and Lamb all have good trade value on an individual basis.  I can't imagine them including those guys in a Greinke trade just to get rid of his salary.  They could just eat some money and give him away without giving up players to do so.  Someone would take him at 3/75.  

i think if the halos get to january and still haven't added quality starting pitching, they need to pull the trigger on greinke if he's still available. i'm firmly in the camp of no longer wanting to waste the trout years.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

They wouldn’t be throw ins necessarily; Greinke and his contract, and whatever money is eaten, would actually be more if the ‘throw in’ or catalyst. Ray, Lamb, Miller, Bradley...they’d require some talent involved, no doubt.

Again, I’d think of it more as Suarez, Ward, Rivas, and Yan for Jake Lamb and Shelby Miller...

and $30 mil plus Greinke.

Not the other order. 

It's kind of tough. Greinke is obviously aging like a fine wine, but the loss of velocity scares me. That's the beginning of the end and every team in baseball knows it. So everyone is going to be weary of taking on his contract. The big question will be if Greinke can still succeed throwing 90 instead of 92-94. That and, how much more will he lose? I mean even if he is successful at 90, there's a link to everything as we saw with Weaver. He was fine throwing 89-90 too, but that didn't last long, because within a year that 89/90 became 86/87. It's when he dipped down to 86-87 that he lost it, and by the end he was throwing 84 and it was sad to see. More than likely, that's Greinke's future. But just in case it isn't, what's the scenario?

The Angels not only are on a limited budget, but this newfound depth of prospects they have accumulated has only become this useful capital because the Angels specifically did not make moves like this. So again, this has to be something that works for all parties. 

Trading Kole Calhoun knocks that price down to around 22 million his year, but it does nothing for years two and three and still leaves us with a hole in RF that would take a few million to solve more than likely. So even if it was Calhoun for Greinke, it would have to be Greinke plus 30 million, and I doubt Arizona wants to trade Greinke only to save 30 million. They can do better than that. 

Sure, we can throw some prospects their way, but that's what got us into the Dipoto level catastrophe in the first place. 

I don't think it's a good idea. Not saying it can't be done, but it'd have to be a very creative package heading both ways. There are easier ways with less risk for the Angels.

On November 14, 2018 at 11:22 AM, totdprods said:

What if Arizona ate $30m total, threw in Robbie Ray (maybe Jake Lamb?) and the Angels kicked back Calhoun and reasonable prospects (including a name or two we’d cringe on) for the return. 

why would they throw in Ray? that would mean the lose 4 starters from their 2018 rotation 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

You do realize he put up 4 WAR last year, right?

It's so tough to assume that he'll continue to produce at that level now that he's 35.  Especially considering his consistent velo decline over the last 4 years.  Even if they throw in 30m and we pay 25m per for 3 years.  That means he's making 25m from us at age 37.  I've gotta pass on that.  What he's likely to be over the next 3 years probably costs about 10m less per year on the open market.